Separation Anxiety

pelers

So I just started my daughter at a new daycare last week, she's 15m old and has just started the separation anxiety thing. Constantly clings to me, fusses if I so much as walk out of a room without her. She's not at all pleased with the new daycare, at least not when I drop her off. She screams, wails and makes me feel like the biggest ####### ever when I leave.
Tell me this is going to improve eventually. My son never had this issue, though I imagine we'll be seeing it soon since he's also on the waitlist for a childcare center.

:cds:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
So I just started my daughter at a new daycare last week, she's 15m old and has just started the separation anxiety thing. Constantly clings to me, fusses if I so much as walk out of a room without her. She's not at all pleased with the new daycare, at least not when I drop her off. She screams, wails and makes me feel like the biggest ####### ever when I leave.
Tell me this is going to improve eventually. My son never had this issue, though I imagine we'll be seeing it soon since he's also on the waitlist for a childcare center.

:cds:

Did you check with the daycare people about how long it lasts & what she does when you leave? As long as she eventually settles down and is not physically injured...

It will improve! Kiss her and tell her you love her and will see her later - and then walk, walk, walk away. Come back later after work with all kinds of smushie hugs & kisses!!

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
While no two children are the same, odds are you will suffer longer than she will. She may continue the 'drop off' scene for sometime, but I'm sure when the door closes its over soon enough. She will get distracted by toys or another child, sounds, sights and move on with her day. My mom ran a daycare for over 30 years, I think I've seen it all. Even ones that turn it all back on :bawl: when picked up, but all day were fine. lol

Personality of child is a big factor. If she is for the most a happy child, likes to interact with other adults and other children no worries. She will adjust and learn to show these traits alone, without you. Time is all it takes.

:coffee:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Oh and Pelers? Get that stuff straightened out NOW, or she might try to sue you when she's 18!!!

*wink*

pelers

While no two children are the same, odds are you will suffer longer than she will. She may continue the 'drop off' scene for sometime, but I'm sure when the door closes its over soon enough. She will get distracted by toys or another child, sounds, sights and move on with her day. My mom ran a daycare for over 30 years, I think I've seen it all. Even ones that turn it all back on :bawl: when picked up, but all day were fine. lol

Personality of child is a big factor. If she is for the most a happy child, likes to interact with other adults and other children no worries. She will adjust and learn to show these traits alone, without you. Time is all it takes.

:coffee:

She's pretty happy and social, generally. Just worse today because she's snotting like nobody's business.

Did you check with the daycare people about how long it lasts & what she does when you leave? As long as she eventually settles down and is not physically injured...

It will improve! Kiss her and tell her you love her and will see her later - and then walk, walk, walk away. Come back later after work with all kinds of smushie hugs & kisses!!

That's how it usually goes. Smooch her goodbye, wave, and walk. Daddy usually picks her up in the evening, so he gets all the happy rejoicing. Her providers haven't said anything about her being unduly fussy, it's just at drop off in the morning.

Oh and Pelers? Get that stuff straightened out NOW, or she might try to sue you when she's 18!!!

*wink*

Nooooo! :jameo:

Yeah, I'm sure she's over it way before I am. I just hate starting the day off feeling like the world's biggest jerk. Maybe I'll make daddy drop her instead.

KDENISE977

First off :huggy: that's an awful feeling. I've been taking my son since he was 12 weeks old so I never had this particular issue. But, during the transitions between classes/age groups is tough because they get attached to the same teacher for periods of time, that was rough for the first year for us. Drop offs are always hard when unfamiliar... and yes, it's always worse on the mommy than on the baby. I always had it in my head and would refuse stay and hold him once I had to have another basically peel him off me. It's never easier, but all I can say is it gets easiER once she's used to the routine.

pelers

First off :huggy: that's an awful feeling. I've been taking my son since he was 12 weeks old so I never had this particular issue. But, during the transitions between classes/age groups is tough because they get attached to the same teacher for periods of time, that was rough for the first year for us. Drop offs are always hard when unfamiliar... and yes, it's always worse on the mommy than on the baby. I always had it in my head and would refuse stay and hold him once I had to have another basically peel him off me. It's never easier, but all I can say is it gets easiER once she's used to the routine.

Yeah, she's been with the same provider since she was 8 weeks old.

In other, cheerier news, the daycare just called. She has pink eye. :banghead:

CRHS89

When I still lived at home, my mom did home daycare. The kids would act an absolute fool while their parents were trying to leave. You would think my mother beat them once their parents were out of sight by how they acted when the parents were still there. About 30 seconds after the parents would leave, the kids would stop crying, and be the happiest little kids you had ever seen. Another amazing transformation would occur once the parents arrived in the afternoon to pick them up. They would start doing all of the things that they knew were against my mom's rules.

KDENISE977

Yeah, she's been with the same provider since she was 8 weeks old.

In other, cheerier news, the daycare just called. She has pink eye. :banghead:

Oh my bad, I misunderstood, so she's been at the same place and still gets that upset....that's no doubt hard :sad: And wow...pink eye....yuck, stuff like that spreads through daycare centers like wildfire.

pelers

Oh my bad, I misunderstood, so she's been at the same place and still gets that upset....that's no doubt hard :sad: And wow...pink eye....yuck, stuff like that spreads through daycare centers like wildfire.

Oh no, sorry. She'd been at the same place and I just moved her last week! She was always thrilled to be dropped off

sm8

My 3 rd daughter did that her first year of school. It broke my heart but I knew it was best to just pull away and leave quickly. I wasn't even leaving far, just to the parking lot but I think that made it worse. I honestly do not remember how long it lasted.