serious thread

S

saddlesore

FrmGrl said:
Its funny. Today I had my lesson with my very green OTTB and she was being a total butt. I mean bad with a capital B!! My trainer got on her and for over an hour worked on her. Despite almost being thrown off, despite having her try and rear she never lost her cool or her temper. She just kept asking simple commands and using basic aids until at the end she was a normal horse again. Patience, that is what got that horse to behave! I have also had her in a full cheek snaffle since the day I have had her. I would never dream of using anything more severe on her. BTW does anyone know if calm and cool has an alternate effect on some horses? :lmao:

Not familiar with Calm and Cool. foxdenequine.com makes a supplement called Quiessence, which was given a top rating by The Horse Journal. I have used some of her supplements to good effect. The site gives her background - very impressive.

Gotta love those OTTBs!

DQ2B

FrmGrl said:
. BTW does anyone know if calm and cool has an alternate effect on some horses? :lmao:

Sometimes, just removing grain or changing the type/amount of grain can accomplish what you want in the way of attitude/exuberance.

FrmGrl

Get some!
DQ2B said:
Sometimes, just removing grain or changing the type/amount of grain can accomplish what you want in the way of attitude/exuberance.

Unfortunately she is a hard keeper. I finally got her right where she needs to be. Actually she really is quiet most of the time. Today she was just unually fired up and the only thing I changed was the supplement. I think I will just let her go without for this upcoming show. Thanks Saddlesore and DQ2B for the info. Yes those OTTB, I do love her, even if she is a tart sometimes!

K

Katie

FrmGrl said:
Unfortunately she is a hard keeper. I finally got her right where she needs to be. Actually she really is quiet most of the time. Today she was just unually fired up and the only thing I changed was the supplement. I think I will just let her go without for this upcoming show. Thanks Saddlesore and DQ2B for the info. Yes those OTTB, I do love her, even if she is a tart sometimes!

:lmao:

I might be there this weekend. Darling Hubby won't make up his mind.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Phyxius said:
I'd fire them too. I'm sure everyone here has been less than nice to a horse at some point and time. Just like childern the occasional scolding or smack is needed, but to take any horse green or not and kick and pull until it is bleeding is WAY beyond necessary.

When observing horses in a herd enviroment you'll see them bite or kick at each other to assert authority or to show displeasure, so physical reminders are not out of place in the horse world, but the other horse's generally know what's going on. Kicking (go forward) and pulling (stop) send conflicting messages. So, not only was the horse injured he/she was confused and will now probably be more prone to getting "nervous" and less confident. Some horses are more sensitive than others and will take this physical "abuse" to heart and will respond to the negative enforcements for years to come. It could be something as simple as a "flashback" when the owner is riding in a show and the horse is already nervous. Maybe the rider asks for more connection and uses both leg and rein. The horse remembers the unpleasant incident and tenses up. That one moment could ruin an entire class.

I've seen horses that were trained by rather dubious methods. These horse physically react when the trainer is anywhere near them. If they even hear his voice they tense and their way of going is choppier, more abrupt, and less fluid. While one incident will probably not scare this horse for life, why put him in a situation where this is something that could become common place?

Okay...so I got red for this post, but whoever gave it to me didn't even say why. C'mon over. :wench:

FrmGrl

Get some!
Phyxius said:
Okay...so I got red for this post, but whoever gave it to me didn't even say why. C'mon over. :wench:

Me too. No comments, just red. I hardly ever say anything on this forum and the first time I do this is what I get. Guess I wont share anymore. :frown:

fredsaid2

FrmGrl said:
Me too. No comments, just red. I hardly ever say anything on this forum and the first time I do this is what I get. Guess I wont share anymore. :frown:

You have to ignore it. Generally it's not from the people who normally post here. Don't let a little red square chase you away! :howdy:

K

KizerSoSay

fredsaid2 said:
You have to ignore it. Generally it's not from the people who normally post here. Don't let a little red square chase you away! :howdy:

I have many little, red, festive squares, and I am still here. Don't wimp out, just turn it off. :cartwheel

Last edited by a moderator:
S

saddlesore

KizerSoSay said:
I have many little, red, festive squares, and I am still here. Don't wimp out, just turn it off. :cartwheel

Festive - now that's the way to look at it! :lmao:

S

saddlesore

saddlesore said:
Festive - now that's the way to look at it! :lmao:

Oh cr*p! Just noticed that I received red for this thread - and I said absolutely nothing contentious!?!

Well, to whomever sent it, thank you for the, ah, "festiveness." I feel honored. You are both witty and clever to choose not to add a comment or ping pong poem. And oh so brave, to make it anonymous! Why, it's downright existential. You have taken red karma to a whole new level!

S

saddlesore

BZHorseMomE said:
Hey here is my most recent red square. :lmao: :lmao: 05-15-2007 06:40 PM buttkizzinpingpongdingdongin

OK, since my last post about unsigned red less than an hour ago, I've just received 2 more reds saying only: [ping pong a ding dong].
They were sent within 3 minutes of each other.

The guilty party is no doubt laughing uproariously, :lmao: . Clearly he/she/they did not appreciate my snide remarks (tho I enjoyed making them!). I think I'm just going to turn off my karma and ignore him/her/them.

Buh bye, Ping Pong. You'll have to sing about your ding dong to someone else :bawl: Anyway, you'll never compete with Smooth's 1200 lb animal :evil:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
FrmGrl said:

Me Three...very dissapointed, not even a creative comment. I expected red, but was hoping at least it would be an interesting red, not some :coffee: boring red.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
saddlesore said:
OK, since my last post about unsigned red less than an hour ago, I've just received 2 more reds saying only: [ping pong a ding dong].
They were sent within 3 minutes of each other.

The guilty party is no doubt laughing uproariously, :lmao: . Clearly he/she/they did not appreciate my snide remarks (tho I enjoyed making them!). I think I'm just going to turn off my karma and ignore him/her/them.

Buh bye, Ping Pong. You'll have to sing about your ding dong to someone else :bawl: Anyway, you'll never compete with Smooth's 1200 lb animal :evil:

They have their own dedicated song...Chuck Barry's sp??? My dingaling.....

Robin

Kizer how is you friends horse doing? any after incident issues? I hope the horse heals quit and with no mental scars due to harshness

Robin

sorry about that I hope the horse heals quick with no mental scars of the incident. I was typing too fast

S

saddlesore

SouthernMdRocks said:
They have their own dedicated song...Chuck Barry's sp??? My dingaling.....

:lmao: If I knew who pingpong was, I'd reciprocate with 'dingaling'.
Looks like we're all getting ponged :killingme

K

KizerSoSay

Robin said:
sorry about that I hope the horse heals quick with no mental scars of the incident. I was typing too fast

From what I hear, her horse if fine. She is still on the fence about going back to her trainer. Long history with this trainer vs. one bad incident. Trainer offered a weak, 'I am sorry, BUT' type of apology.

Robin

maybe your friend can talk with him/her and work things out, a long history, and one incident, perhaps she/he/ trainer knows they did wrong handling it that particular way and they can come to guide lines not to cross while training the horse and still be able to work together, if not I hope your friend can find someone else they will be happy with

K

KizerSoSay

Robin said:
maybe your friend can talk with him/her and work things out, a long history, and one incident, perhaps she/he/ trainer knows they did wrong handling it that particular way and they can come to guide lines not to cross while training the horse and still be able to work together, if not I hope your friend can find someone else they will be happy with

I think that she does want to stay with that trainer, but she is still tiffed. A half ass apology didn't help. The rider, and I, thank everyone for their responses on a sensitive subject.