Shanahan Era...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm not sure if this is going to be good or if I am in such deep denial that all I am capable of is looking on the bright side. :shrug:

con; only one playoff win post Elway
pro; lot of winning seasons after Elway

con; we need running backs
pro; Shanahan finds 'em by the dozen

con; our O line a shambles
pro; Mike always seemed to cobble together competent groups

Further, Shanahan's problems post Elway were defense, not offense. That is the one strength, or near strength, we have.

Now, Brian Griese, Jake Plummer, Cutler. Is Jason Campbell going to fit into that fairly successful list? Or does some rookie come in?

OldHillcrestGuy

Campbell had a alright season, middle of the pack QB, had some career highs. For a guy who was getting sacked over 40 times and running for your life he didnt do all that badly. What do we do let him go and then draft one of these young guns with the number 4 pick and have to wait 2-3 years for him to grow and get experince. Skins have alot more holes to fill other then QB, need a running back, a whole new offensive line to protect the QB, maybe some DB's. Someone who can return punts and kickoffs and maybe even a placekicker, Gano looked shakey on one of those extra points yesterday.
Campbell may not want to come back, I say give him a extension or 2 year deal, and forget about a QB this year.
As much as I would hate to see it Cooley could be trade bait, since Fred Davis came on this season, he could possibly bring and #1 pick, or maybe a #2 pick and #3 pick from some team. Build from the draft this year.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm not sure if this is going to be good or if I am in such deep denial that all I am capable of is looking on the bright side. :shrug:

Further, Shanahan's problems post Elway were defense, not offense. That is the one strength, or near strength, we have.

Now, Brian Griese, Jake Plummer, Cutler. Is Jason Campbell going to fit into that fairly successful list? Or does some rookie come in?

Snyder is still in charge, doesn't matter who is sitting in the coaches chair..

The inmates are running the prison, and they know it.

How many under or non-performing players were fired the same day Zorn was??

BuddyLee

Football addict
Snyder is still in charge, doesn't matter who is sitting in the coaches chair..

The inmates are running the prison, and they know it.

Mike Shanahan will be named team president, giving him significant influence over all personnel.
Source: Washington Post

Shanahan will have last say as Gibbs did during his second tenure. As some, not all of us remember, Gibbs held the same title and Snyder was out of the picture to a large extent. Gibbs made two playoff appearances in four years.

Then there was this statement earlier today..

"No one in the organization is satisfied with our record over the last two years," Redskins owner Dan Snyder said in a statement released by the team. "And I am sure that Jim would concur with that statement. It has been painful for him, too. I certainly accept responsibility for mistakes that I have made. I am hopeful that our fans will accept my commitment and pledge to deliver a franchise that can compete in the NFC East every season."
Take that with a grain of salt. However, The Dan isn't known to admit his wrongs.

I see Shanahan running the show. The Bruce working the cap. The Dan supplying the funds.

Shanahan wouldn't take any other job any other way.

How many under or non-performing players were fired the same day Zorn was??
The remaining staff is compiling year-end evaluations on each and every player. Once the head coach is in place you can look for player cuts down the road. Head coach is always the first to go. There are "sweeping changes" coming to the coaching staff. Players are almost always cut last, which is how it should be.

Peter Forsberg

I have a question for you Skins fans. Is Shanahan going to bring in a new offense or do the Skins run the same style West Coast offense already?

BuddyLee

Football addict
I have a question for you Skins fans. Is Shanahan going to bring in a new offense or do the Skins run the same style West Coast offense already?
Yes and no.

The blocking will more than likely be much different. Shanahan has run a zone blocking scheme. If Alex Gibbs is brought in they'll assuredly run that as he's perfected that as a coach. Zorn's team kept Buges and literally the same running game that Gibbs had in place.

The west coast offense isn't just one system, it has many different flavors. Shanahan's WCO is different than Zorn's. Sure, he'll throw short. He's more apt to running it...a lot. This allows for the deep play-action shots he's known to call.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Who will be the next coach for the Redskins in 3 years is what I want to know...:shrug:
After Shanahan is gone (retirement after 3 Super Bowl wins) I'd like to see his son Zach take over.

Kyle Shanahan enters his fourth season with the Houston Texans, sixth in the NFL and second as the Texans' offensive coordinator. Shanahan coached the quarterbacks in 2007 and the wide receivers in 2006 before being named offensive coordinator on Jan. 11, 2008. At age 29, Shanahan is the youngest coordinator in the NFL.

Shanahan’s first year as coordinator was an overwhelming success, as the offense ranked third in the NFL, gaining a franchise-record 6,113 yards and passing for a franchise-record 4,267 yards. The offense was equally adept on the ground, running for 1,846 yards at a team-record 4.3-yard clip. Shanahan helped a pair of players earn Pro Bowl nods, with wide receiver Andre Johnson making his third career trip and tight end Owen Daniels making his first.

Johnson garnered first-team AP All-Pro honors after he led the NFL in receptions (115) and receiving yards (1,575). Running back Steve Slaton won the rookie rushing title with a franchise-record 1,282 yards. Quarterback Matt Schaub turned in his first 3,000-yard season, passing for 3,043 yards and 15 touchdowns against 10 interceptions, giving him a passer rating of 92.7. The offensive line featured the same starting lineup for all 16 games and gave up just 32 sacks in 555 pass attempts.

As the quarterbacks coach in 2007, Shanahan saw his group combine to have an outstanding season. The Texans' signal callers were sacked just 22 times all year. Quarterback Matt Schaub threw for 2,241 yards and nine touchdowns with nine interceptions in his first year as a starter. Backup Sage Rosenfels threw for 1,684 yards and 15 touchdowns with 12
interceptions. Their 24 combined touchdown passes were a team record.

With Shanahan as his position coach in 2006, WR Andre Johnson turned in the best season of his young career and earned a starting nod in the 2007 Pro Bowl. Johnson led the NFL with 103 receptions and had his second 1,000-yard season with 1,147 yards. Johnson’s 103 catches accounted for 31.3 percent of the Texans’ total completions, more than any receiver in the league. Opposite Johnson, veteran Eric Moulds contributed 57 catches for 557 yards and a score. Kevin Walter, signed as a restricted free agent in the offseason, proved to be a solid addition with 17 catches for 160 yards on the year.

Shanahan joined the Texans from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where he served as offensive quality control coach during the 2004 and 2005 seasons. In his first season with the Bucs, he helped rookie Michael Clayton establish franchise rookie records for receptions and receiving touchdowns. He also helped receiver Joey Galloway finish seventh in the NFL in receiving yardage in 2005.

Coach - Houston Texans

PsyOps

Pixelated

Con: Snyder
Pro: :confused:

The cool thing about shanahan is when he's losing to a team he hates, he has a vein that stands out on his forehead. :killingme

I hope he has a lot of them. :whistle: