Sheds

DogWhisperer

Need recommendations for a shed builder. I've been to quite a few places but most are pre-built sheds. My shed is going to be on a slope so I'll need some footers and would need the shed be built or assembled on site.

glhs837

Power with Control
Need recommendations for a shed builder. I've been to quite a few places but most are pre-built sheds. My shed is going to be on a slope so I'll need some footers and would need the shed be built or assembled on site.

Not at all, Shed can be placed on slopes without being built on site.

Bare-ya-cuda

There's also an Amish builder on Rte 6 in Charlotte Hall (a little over a quarter of a mile west of the Library on the left). Mr. Hertzler builds high quality barns/sheds and may be slightly less than the folks in Hughesville or elsewhere (no middle man). They're a little slow so you might not get what you want until February. If you can wait, the quality makes the wait worthwhile. Good Luck.
I have one from hertzler and am very happy with the quality. Holy and delivered in 2003 and everything even the paint is holding up.

Grumpy

Not at all, Shed can be placed on slopes without being built on site.
I just built an 8x16 platform into a slope in my back yard for an eventual shed. Right now I have 2 8x8 rubbermaid sheds on it but will build a stickbuilt shed on it when I have a bit more money. Was pretty simple, 6 6x6 posts, 2x6 frame and joists and a 3/4" plywood floor, all treated lumber. Costs were about $1k and approximately 8 hrs of labor.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I built an 8×12 "deck" in the side yard to hold a Suncast garden shed, but set it on deck blocks so I can disassemble and move if necessary later on.

DogWhisperer

I just built an 8x16 platform into a slope in my back yard for an eventual shed. Right now I have 2 8x8 rubbermaid sheds on it but will build a stickbuilt shed on it when I have a bit more money. Was pretty simple, 6 6x6 posts, 2x6 frame and joists and a 3/4" plywood floor, all treated lumber. Costs were about $1k and approximately 8 hrs of labor.
How deep did you bury the 6 x 6's?

Grumpy

How deep did you bury the 6 x 6's?
Bought 3 6x6x8, cut in 3' and 5' lengths, buried 2' down (with a 8x8" concrete block on bottom), leveled, dumped 50lb pack of concrete in hole and back filled. Back side of platform used the 5' lengths, front 3'. Small 3 foot plywood ramp on front (2x4s joist underneath), attached to ledger board across the front of platform. Had the ramp materials here, didn't order with wood for platform.

DogWhisperer

Bought 3 6x6x8, cut in 3' and 5' lengths, buried 2' down (with a 8x8" concrete block on bottom), leveled, dumped 50lb pack of concrete in hole and back filled. Back side of platform used the 5' lengths, front 3'. Small 3 foot plywood ramp on front (2x4s joist underneath), attached to ledger board across the front of platform. Had the ramp materials here, didn't order with wood for platform.
Thanks.
I think I'll follow your lead and get the platform done then work on putting up the sides.

Grumpy

Prior to the decking and ramp.

Attachments

• 128725481_5252058471474656_5639025965206958806_o.jpeg
    128725481_5252058471474656_5639025965206958806_o.jpeg
    539.4 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Not sure what county you are in but in St. Mary's you will need a building permit (under 600 sq ft no inspections required). See FAQ 25

Grumpy

Not sure what county you are in but in St. Mary's you will need a building permit (under 600 sq ft no inspections required). See FAQ 25
Reminds me of my neighbor in my previous house in PG. He built a huge shed and the county came after him cuz he didn't have a permit. He told the county to shove it and was pretty nasty to county employees that tried to talk to him. End result is he had to tear it down or they would do it for him.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Reminds me of my neighbor in my previous house in PG. He built a huge shed and the county came after him cuz he didn't have a permit. He told the county to shove it and was pretty nasty to county employees that tried to talk to him. End result is he had to tear it down or they would do it for him.
Out here I didn't get a permit for the house build. Tax assessor showed up the following year, saw the house, no record of building permit, gave me a form to fill out (dimensions, # bedrooms, #baths). Filled it out, paid the fee ($5), problem solved.

SandieGarry

Out here I didn't get a permit for the house build. Tax assessor showed up the following year, saw the house, no record of building permit, gave me a form to fill out (dimensions, # bedrooms, #baths). Filled it out, paid the fee ($5), problem solved.

Where is here? Just curious.

Grumpy

Friends were talking about how much lumber prices had risen so I repriced what I used for my platform..Original price was $1k tax included. Reprice of same stuff from same store..$1.5k