Shingles

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Niece had them while in the 4th grade. Poor thing was miserable.

Is this a one time vaccine, or are boosters necessary?

animalluvr4life

animal luvr
Did they give you anything at all for it??

yes they gave me antiviral meds (a strong dose) and the np was going to put me on tramadol but i already been on that med and knew it wouldn't work for me so i am just taking extra strength tylenol for the pain. I probably will have to call back today as i now have them in my mouth ugh..

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I'm wondering if they have a chicken pox vaccine why it wouldn't work since shingles are caused by the same virus. :shrug:

My roommate got them in college and all I remember was her crying in agony for a couple of weeks. I think they gave her some kind of ointment but it didn't really help.

animalluvr4life

animal luvr
I'm wondering if they have a chicken pox vaccine why it wouldn't work since shingles are caused by the same virus. :shrug:

My roommate got them in college and all I remember was her crying in agony for a couple of weeks. I think they gave her some kind of ointment but it didn't really help.

sweet16 its very painful..I can understand your roomie in college crying from it. Nothing like feeling like your being zapped when you touch certain spots and in constant pain in more than 1 area (for me its my scalp and my mouth so far i just hope it doesn't pop up in other places as i am in a lot of pain already). the doctor told me it could last 1 month or in some people it could last a year i hope this isn't the case for me cause i have to admit i miss my sleep and being in constant pain sucks bigtime. I just thankgod my dog is behaving herself and letting me rest as much as possible instead of being in and out a thousand and 1x like she usually does.

animalluvr4life

animal luvr

they have a vaccine for the shingles sweet16. They don't let most people get it til they are in there 60's though

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
So my doctor told me sometime in the fall that she had done some researching and that *my* research was correct and she could prescribe the shingles vaccine.

I was not about to get it before I went to Hawaii - didn't know might happen, didn't want to take any chances, etc. Then, I had the sinus infections in Dec. and Jan. and since I was sick, I couldn't get it. :ohwell:

I called the Dr's office this morning and they sent the prescription over to my pharmacy and I went and got my vaccine this afternoon.

:cartwheel:

frequentflier

happy to be living
So my doctor told me sometime in the fall that she had done some researching and that *my* research was correct and she could prescribe the shingles vaccine.

I was not about to get it before I went to Hawaii - didn't know might happen, didn't want to take any chances, etc. Then, I had the sinus infections in Dec. and Jan. and since I was sick, I couldn't get it. :ohwell:

I called the Dr's office this morning and they sent the prescription over to my pharmacy and I went and got my vaccine this afternoon.

:cartwheel:

They vaccinated you at the pharmacy? In the arm, right?!
How bad is it? I mean, I hate needles and pain but I would like to get the vaccine. If I see a huge a$$ needle coming at me, I will either puke or run! Or both!

Roman

How bad is it? I mean, I hate needles and pain but I would like to get the vaccine. If I see a huge a$$ needle coming at me, I will either puke or run! Or both!
You poor thing! It's usually done in the arm unless you want it in your butt-cheek. Just don't look, and make sure that you breathe. Many hold thier breath, and then pass the eff-out! I'll hold your hand if you want me to!!

Bann

PREMO Member

Yes, they vaccinated me at the pharmacy. YES, in my arm.

Can you see it now - :moon: at the Safeway? :roflmao:

I didn't look at the needle, and it didn't hurt that much. It doesn't go into the muscle, it hurts a little bit at the surface, but it was very quick. So far, no problems. I'll see in a little bit if I even have a mark on my arm any longer.

OldHillcrestGuy

Anyone of you who might be as old as I am and on Medicare, Ive heard or saw it somewhere that Medicare doesnt cover the shot. True or False?

I do want to get the shot. I have CareFirst as a secondary, maybe they would cover what Medicare doesnt cover. I could call them and see, but sometimes you can get a answer on here as fast as it would be to call them. lol

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Anyone of you who might be as old as I am and on Medicare, Ive heard or saw it somewhere that Medicare doesnt cover the shot. True or False?

I do want to get the shot. I have CareFirst as a secondary, maybe they would cover what Medicare doesnt cover. I could call them and see, but sometimes you can get a answer on here as fast as it would be to call them. lol

I can't give you a for sure answer but I had it. I have BC/BS and Medicare and I didn't pay a nickel for it. Not sure where you are but St. Mary's Pharmacy has it in stock and she will give it to you right there. You do need a RX from a Dr. Give her a call and she can tell you if your ins. covers it or not..

Bann

PREMO Member
Had my shingles shot last year. Regular shot, no side effects. :shrug:

I have an irregular shaped raised rash (which is also reddish) approximately the size of a quarter at the site where I was vaccinated. It doesn't itch or anything, but is still a little sore to touch.

I did Body Pump at the gym tonight, and didn't overwork my arm, just in case.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Did a search this morning for 'shingles' and found this old thread. I'm thinking I may have it - without the rash. Weird, nerve-type pain actually started last weekend on my left side around my abdomen and into my groin area and somewhat into my leg. Having had issues with my sciatic nerve before, I thought it may be something going on with that. The pain has been bearable over the past week, and has become more localized in the left portion of my abdomen. Was hard to sleep last night as the burning feeling has intensified from my belly button, across my abdomen and is now around into my back. No rash. I googled 'shingles without rash', and believe it or not, it's a thing. Guess I better try to get to the doctor today and see if they can confirm that's what's going on.

Anyone ever have shingles without the rash? I know when I had the chicken pox when I was in my 20's I only broke out with less than a dozen bumps that looked similar to mosquito bites. Back then my doctor told me that some people actually break out on the inside on their internal organs.

Did a search this morning for 'shingles' and found this old thread. I'm thinking I may have it - without the rash. Weird, nerve-type pain actually started last weekend on my left side around my abdomen and into my groin area and somewhat into my leg. Having had issues with my sciatic nerve before, I thought it may be something going on with that. The pain has been bearable over the past week, and has become more localized in the left portion of my abdomen. Was hard to sleep last night as the burning feeling has intensified from my belly button, across my abdomen and is now around into my back. No rash. I googled 'shingles without rash', and believe it or not, it's a thing. Guess I better try to get to the doctor today and see if they can confirm that's what's going on.

Anyone ever have shingles without the rash? I know when I had the chicken pox when I was in my 20's I only broke out with less than a dozen bumps that looked similar to mosquito bites. Back then my doctor told me that some people actually break out on the inside on their internal organs.
You should get it checked out TODAY. If it is shingles flaring up there is a very short window of time when they can give you an anti-virus shot that can dramatically reduce the affect of the shingles virus.