Shingles

NextJen

Raisin cane
You should get it checked out TODAY. If it is shingles flaring up there is a very short window of time when they can give you an anti-virus shot that can dramatically reduce the affect of the shingles virus.

I'm calling my doctor as soon as they open. I fear that if that is what it is, and this pain started last week, I'm probably already too late for the anti-virus shot. But thanks!

Roman

I'm calling my doctor as soon as they open. I fear that if that is what it is, and this pain started last week, I'm probably already too late for the anti-virus shot. But thanks!
NextJen, it is too late for them to be able to give you anything to stop the shingles in their track, but the Doctor can give you Motrin and maybe Tylenol 3 for pain management. My Husband had shingles without the rash, and it was so painful that even a light weight cotton T-Shirt hurt when it touched the area. He had the uncomfortable pain near 3 weeks. It is recommended that after this is over, that you get the Shingles injection, because shingles is not a one-time thing in some cases. But of course, ask your Doctor first. Well wishes to you.

NextJen

Raisin cane
NextJen, it is too late for them to be able to give you anything to stop the shingles in their track, but the Doctor can give you Motrin and maybe Tylenol 3 for pain management. My Husband had shingles without the rash, and it was so painful that even a light weight cotton T-Shirt hurt when it touched the area. He had the uncomfortable pain near 3 weeks. It is recommended that after this is over, that you get the Shingles injection, because shingles is not a one-time thing in some cases. But of course, ask your Doctor first. Well wishes to you.

Thanks, Roman. I am able to get in to see my doctor at 3pm today. I agree, if that's what it is, probably not much to be done now but ride it out. I am curious if/or how he will diagnose it. Will post back when I know something.

Roman

Thanks, Roman. I am able to get in to see my doctor at 3pm today. I agree, if that's what it is, probably not much to be done now but ride it out. I am curious if/or how he will diagnose it. Will post back when I know something.

He'll diagnose it by the symptoms you tell him about. Shingles follow nerve pathways. How did the appointment go?

NextJen

Raisin cane
He'll diagnose it by the symptoms you tell him about. Shingles follow nerve pathways. How did the appointment go?

Hi, Roman. He didn't think it was shingles since the 'burning' type of feeling was over a larger area than what a typical outbreak of shingles would cover. He didn't do any other tests, but thought it may have been a pinched nerve. He gave me a rx for anti-inflamatory and a muscle relaxer. It is feeling better today. Still no outbreak and the area of 'weird' sensation has gotten smaller. Hopefully it continues to go away. Thanks for checking! :smile:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Hi, Roman. He didn't think it was shingles since the 'burning' type of feeling was over a larger area than what a typical outbreak of shingles would cover. He didn't do any other tests, but thought it may have been a pinched nerve. He gave me a rx for anti-inflamatory and a muscle relaxer. It is feeling better today. Still no outbreak and the area of 'weird' sensation has gotten smaller. Hopefully it continues to go away. Thanks for checking! :smile:

:yay::yay:
Hope you feel better soon.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:yay: Just seeing this - glad to hear you're feeling better.

Foxhound's sister (the one who was just re-married) came down with shingles on May 21. Started out as a very tiny spot on the back of her shoulder, then a couple more. She went to an Urgent Care the next day. I believe they did give her an anti-viral medication. She had a horrible rash around her shoulders and lower neck area back in late May-early June. The rash is gone - and no scarring, thank goodness. She still has the nerve pain - it's very intense at times, too. She describes it like the sting/pain of a man o' war and poison ivy. :ohwell:

NextJen

Raisin cane
:yay: Just seeing this - glad to hear you're feeling better.

Foxhound's sister (the one who was just re-married) came down with shingles on May 21. Started out as a very tiny spot on the back of her shoulder, then a couple more. She went to an Urgent Care the next day. I believe they did give her an anti-viral medication. She had a horrible rash around her shoulders and lower neck area back in late May-early June. The rash is gone - and no scarring, thank goodness. She still has the nerve pain - it's very intense at times, too. She describes it like the sting/pain of a man o' war and poison ivy. :ohwell:

Thanks, Bann! Still have some sensitive areas on my back, but I never broke out. I'll chalk it up as some sort of pinched nerve and keep going. It is feeling much better. Thanks everyone!

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Anyone ever have shingles without the rash? I know when I had the chicken pox when I was in my 20's I only broke out with less than a dozen bumps that looked similar to mosquito bites. Back then my doctor told me that some people actually break out on the inside on their internal organs.

Yes, I had no rash just nerve pain across my abdomen in the T6 dermatome region. Thankfully it was short-lived.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Yes, I had no rash just nerve pain across my abdomen in the T6 dermatome region. Thankfully it was short-lived.

The nerve pain I was experiencing early last week (only on my left side - front to back) was in between T11 and S4. This was the main reason my doctor almost totally ruled out shingles. He said that shingles (typically) presents in one dermatome region. I'm attaching a picture to give you an idea of the area I felt the nerve pain (even though this diagram is of a male anatomy). It has receded to just the T11 area in my back - very sensitive to the touch still.

Thanks for the reply and I'm glad yours didn't last long!

Attachments

• spinal-nerve-dermatome-anatomy-schematic_medical512.jpg
    spinal-nerve-dermatome-anatomy-schematic_medical512.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 233

frequentflier

happy to be living
My DR gave me (another) prescription for the shingles vaccine and I took advantage of it and the current insurance I have paid for it. CVS did not have it in stock nor did they have a pharmacist to administer it, Giant was out of stock and it was going to cost $240 so I went to Walgreens and was out of there in less than an hour.
People's descriptions of the pain and discomfort of shingles makes me know I never want to have it!

frequentflier

happy to be living
They vaccinated you at the pharmacy? In the arm, right?!
How bad is it? I mean, I hate needles and pain but I would like to get the vaccine. If I see a huge a$$ needle coming at me, I will either puke or run! Or both!

The pharmacist poked me in the fatty part under my arm and I was relaxed. It did not hurt nor was it sore after that. I remember getting stuck in the upper arm near the shoulder and it hurt for days.