Shores in Southern Maryland

S

Shutterbug

ViolaceousTiger said:
Where is Elm's Beach, I've never heard of that.
It is south of the base on Rt. 235 several miles, off to the left (there is a sign). It's probably quite a hike for you since you are in LaPlata, but if you are bored it might be worth going. :shrug:

Agee

Thirty Marine Samples...

Suggest breaking it into different environments.

Flowing rivers, Potomic, Patuxent, three samples from each in different locations.

Tidle Waters: Allens fresh, Wicomico, Solomons flats

Creeks: Cuckoled Creek, Back Creek,

St Georges Island: flow between the Potomic River and St. Inigoes.

Cedar Point, Point No Point

Corn Harbor

Entrance to Solomons

ViolaceousTiger

Ken King said:
How about Allen's Fresh Run on RT 234 just south off of RT 301? Or maybe Chapel Point State Park just south of Port Tobacco? Both only a skip and a jump from La Plata.

Yeah maybe Chapel Point State Park, depending on how my luck goes at the other places. thanks.

ViolaceousTiger

Shutterbug said:
It is south of the base on Rt. 235 several miles, off to the left (there is a sign). It's probably quite a hike for you since you are in LaPlata, but if you are bored it might be worth going. :shrug:

Distance isn't a problem, I'm all over Southern Md, technically I'm from Dentsville but nobody really knows where that is. I'll add Elms Beach to the list though, anything's worth trying. thanks.

ViolaceousTiger

Airgasm said:
Thirty Marine Samples...

Suggest breaking it into different environments.

Flowing rivers, Potomic, Patuxent, three samples from each in different locations.

Tidle Waters: Allens fresh, Wicomico, Solomons flats

Creeks: Cuckoled Creek, Back Creek,

St Georges Island: flow between the Potomic River and St. Inigoes.

Cedar Point, Point No Point

Corn Harbor

Entrance to Solomons

that's a very good idea, my professor would know that I tried extremely hard on this project if I ended up going to that many different environments and dividing it up like that. I'll think I'll try doing a mixture of settings and organisms. excellent suggestion.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Elm's Beach is located on Bay Forest Rd. 7.2 miles south of Great Mills Rd Rt 235 intersection (Gate 2 of Pax River). There is a tidal pool there (Briscoe's Pond) that has a huge flow rate during the tide changes. Dip a net during this flow and you will definitely get your 30 organisms. I did this with a two man seine net at a camp I attended when I was younger, plus I used to live down that way and spent a lot time all over the Elm's property.

ViolaceousTiger

kom526 said:
Elm's Beach is located on Bay Forest Rd. 7.2 miles south of Great Mills Rd Rt 235 intersection (Gate 2 of Pax River). There is a tidal pool there (Briscoe's Pond) that has a huge flow rate during the tide changes. Dip a net during this flow and you will definitely get your 30 organisms. I did this with a two man seine net at a camp I attended when I was younger, plus I used to live down that way and spent a lot time all over the Elm's property.

That's one of the places I think I'll definitely go to now that you said that there's a lot of marine stuff. Thanks for the info.

AMP

Jersey attitude.
You could wander down to Marshall Hall for collecting stuff from the Potomac. There is a path down to the river all the way past the old graveyard, you'd have access to the river and also a fresh that flows into it.

Follow Billingsley Road until you can't go any further, then hang a right. Cross over 210, and onto Marshall Hall road, you dead end right into Piscataway Park and Marshall Hall. Since you are in LaPlata it should not be that much of a hike for ya.

ViolaceousTiger

AMP said:
You could wander down to Marshall Hall for collecting stuff from the Potomac. There is a path down to the river all the way past the old graveyard, you'd have access to the river and also a fresh that flows into it.

Follow Billingsley Road until you can't go any further, then hang a right. Cross over 210, and onto Marshall Hall road, you dead end right into Piscataway Park and Marshall Hall. Since you are in LaPlata it should not be that much of a hike for ya.

an old graveyard...:really: that definitely catches my attention, I might go there for all the wrong reasons...that's sounds like a long drive but maybe I'll try it if I'm in Waldorf the next couple days. thank ya very much.