Should I euthanize?

WVGIRL

Pet Decision

Only you can make the call to help your pet not suffer and it's a hard one. Try and look at it from the point of view of are you keeping them here for you or are they really still happy.

Vet a Pet used to do house calls and were very caring about the whole thing. You have a hard thing to do but you will know in your heart what is right.

Roxie04

My husband backed out at the last minute being there when our boy was put down, he could not do it. I would not have it any other way but be by his side through it. He also fought the sedation and being 180lbs it took longer to knock him out. His fight was more mental that physical. And that made me question what i was doing. But i knew he would be in a better place, pain free, to run and play again.

zeerex99

I recently went through this with our Brittany spaniel. I've had her since she was a pup. She was 15-1/2 years old. Very old for this breed. My first (years ago) went at ten.

Hannah had been failing almost by the day. Skin issues, no energy, around the clock sleep, arthritis, teeth coming out, barfing hideous stuff, bowel stuff and just that smell of not being well. She had a hard time climbing steps etc. She fell off the bed one Sunday and hurt (broke?) something in a front leg.

I realized I was hanging on for my own emotional needs and that she was just not living a quality life or anything near it. It was hard to do but she was put down. She's in a better place. Lot's of tears (ever see a 260 pound weight lifter cry?) but that's in the past now. Her picture is on the wall and we have lots of great memories.

It's some work to be a good pet owner and the inevitable is going to come someday. I hope someone in my future has the compassion to do for me what I did for her. In retrospect it should probably have been done sooner.

I will get another pup. I've had dogs since I was a kid and just find them to be great friends and enjoy training them and making them part of the family.

Just my two cents of experience.

LazySmurfette

My husband backed out at the last minute being there when our boy was put down, he could not do it. I would not have it any other way but be by his side through it. He also fought the sedation and being 180lbs it took longer to knock him out. His fight was more mental that physical. And that made me question what i was doing. But i knew he would be in a better place, pain free, to run and play again.

That's exactly where we were at. I opted to stay home with the kids while he went and said his final good bye's to his "son". I asked him to give him one last hug and kiss for me, and everytime my phone would go off I thought it was THAT text message, and sure enough the last one I received that night was THAT message saying that he had passed and was up with my fiance's parents living the good life. I got a blow to the stomach the next day when SO made the comment that he hopes that the dog could forgive him. I told him he already did because you took the pain away. He isn't suffering anymore. Definitely hard to do that, but I told him for the sadness we have now, it doesn't surpass the 14 years of love, fun, and happiness he gave us. Tried to spin it positive for him...

Roxie04

my husband showed up about 10 minutes after Zeus passed. He knew he could not stay away to long as he had to take him to the family farm to bury him. The kids got to say their goodbys and i stayed home while he buried him. I had my private time with him and then my husband did too. We know we did the right thing now...........but you are never sure during the moment. He is buried under a nice shade tree next to our female mastiff we had and they both have a beautiful view of the pond. We had him almost 11 years and still think about him all the time. We lost him last summer but I think he was around this past Christmas as his stocking kept falling down from where it was hung. I think he was looking for the bone that Santa brought to him evey year, lol.

rosecroft

I remember the photo on that old newspaper rag cover, don't see what the fuss is. There is a commercial fisherman in lower So. Md who has done it frequently with stray cats

atrusomder

Isaiah 55:8-9
First off, I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's rough seeing our pets get old and feeble. Someone once said the only fault of dogs is that they don't live as long as humans. I tend to agree. It sounds like your dog has had a long, happy life with your family. To live 18 - 19 years, I'm sure your pet has had wonderful care, and reading your post -- you're faithfully standing by him to the end. What a fortunate dog.

Ultimately the decision is up to you, but I have to say, if you think he's suffering or in pain, certainly putting him down can be a mericiful thing to do. Also, I think you'll know when it's "time". Your wife has expressed that she feels it is time, and maybe in the morning you will feel the same way. Being at the vet during my dog's last moments was actually a beautiful thing. We loved that dog so, so much and I think he understood. It was very peaceful for him and the vets were very respectful.

Whatever you decide, it will be okay. I'm not sure about St.Marys County, but I do know there are vets that do make "house calls". Maybe someone else here would know more, or you could inquire over at the dog forum area. Anyway, I know someone who had a vet come to their home to put the dog to sleep and she really appreciated having the house visit versus taking the animal to the vet -- it would have been too stressful for her and the dog.

I also know someone that struggled with the same decision for their 19 yr old dog. The afternoon that they were going to go to the vet, they found their dog peacefully passed away just a few hours earlier.

Again, so sorry you are going through this, and hope a restful night may bring some more direction for you in the morning.

I know that Tidewater Vet in Charlotte Hall does make house calls... Our beloved black lab was only two years young when he could no longer walk or get up from having 90% hip dysplasia and torn ACL in both knees- We were told this when he was 9 months old and told to euthanize then, I said NO and made the decision when he could no longer get up and move on his onwn I would...
Sadly, we made had to make that decision one January day a few days before his 2nd birthday. We called our Vet who did make it to our home and our beloved family member was in the comfort of his own environment when he went to sleep.

Someone once said... " A dog to us in living form is all things that is revealed to us so clearly by the simple reflection of the word DOG in a mirror.
Loyal and Faithful also come to mind....

:huggy:

Roman

Poem

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

What a wonderful Poem! I lost my 10 year old Boston/Pug October 2010 to Cancer. It's been almost 7 months. We didn't know she was ill until she threw up blood. It still just kills me that Molly is gone. We have a new Boston now, and I will love her every minute I have with her. Thanks again for the Poem.

buddscreekman

Took him to the vet,and his leg had a bite on it. I'm assuming from our other dog. I've sectioned the house with baby gates and from here on out,they will be living separately. They have gotten into it before,but he is at the point where he can't fight back. He is loaded up on Rimadyl,and seems to be feeling better. Got up a few times and walked around,and he also ate pepperoni and some ham. Before you tell me that was bad,I know. I'm the one who gets to clean it up. He's had a hard day....I say let him feast. He's sleeping comfortably now,and we're going to take it one day at a time. I think it is wrong of me to think this,but sometimes I wake up hoping he will have passed,only so the choice will be made for me and I won't have to. At one point today his breathing was so slow,I thought he was gone,and I picked him up and started crying. He pissed all over my lap and then belched. I loved it.

Mr.Steed

Took him to the vet,and his leg had a bite on it. I'm assuming from our other dog. I've sectioned the house with baby gates and from here on out,they will be living separately. They have gotten into it before,but he is at the point where he can't fight back. He is loaded up on Rimadyl,and seems to be feeling better. Got up a few times and walked around,and he also ate pepperoni and some ham. Before you tell me that was bad,I know. I'm the one who gets to clean it up. He's had a hard day....I say let him feast. He's sleeping comfortably now,and we're going to take it one day at a time. I think it is wrong of me to think this,but sometimes I wake up hoping he will have passed,only so the choice will be made for me and I won't have to. At one point today his breathing was so slow,I thought he was gone,and I picked him up and started crying. He pissed all over my lap and then belched. I loved it.

Glad you took the old fellow to the vet, sounds like some bad infection - you did the right thing. Not unusual for dogs to have accidents when loaded up on pain killers, been there. Glad though he gave you "definitive" signs of life. Good luck, it's a hard place to be, may he go gently in the night.

Severa

Common sense ain't common
I think it is wrong of me to think this,but sometimes I wake up hoping he will have passed,only so the choice will be made for me and I won't have to.

I can't remember a time in my life where my parents haven't had at least one Doberman. Over the years we've had to make that awful decision to put an old friend to sleep, what you're feeling I can totally identify with. :huggy:

At one point today his breathing was so slow,I thought he was gone,and I picked him up and started crying. He pissed all over my lap and then belched. I loved it.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh at this last line. You've given him many wonderful years, I wish you all the very best. :huggy:

Mr.Steed

Originally Posted by rosecroft View Post
I remember the photo on that old newspaper rag cover, don't see what the fuss is. There is a commercial fisherman in lower So. Md who has done it frequently with stray cats

ROSECROFT IS NOT AS SMART AS HE THINKS HE IS, beware of this poster!

flyingdog

I am so glad you too him in and got him tended to. Always nice to spoil the pups just make sure he doesn't pay for it with an upset belly!

It is so not wrong to hope the choice is made for you! Don't we all! I remember asking the vet about this and she said very few dogs die on their own - and those that do probably should not as it means the suffering went on too long. May you find peace in your days ahead. We are here for you.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I've had to put five furry friends to sleep, dogs and cats, there is no easy way out.
This poem was given to me by the Vet. It should bring a tear and turn this thread in the right direction:

Rainbows Bridge Poem