Should you toss your Teflon ?

Agee

"Scientists independent of chemical industry money looked at the toxicity of this chemical, and the verdict is clear: This Teflon chemical should be considered a likely human carcinogen. If EPA officials needed a reason to level the maximum fine against this $24.6 billion company, they have it now," said EWG Senior Vice President Richard Wiles. "DuPont might be politically connected with an army of lobbyists, but it should still be held accountable."

http://www.foodconsumer.org/777/8/Independent_Science_Panel_to_EPA_Teflon_Chemical_is_Likely_Human_Carcinogen.shtml

CMC122

Go Braves!
I've never cared for teflon, even when I cooked as a teenager I didn't like it. I currently have one teflon pan in my collection and it's heading to the trash:yay:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
J bought me a nice stainless steel set almost 2 years ago and we threw out the teflon ones. Glad he did this now :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I take these "reports" with a grain of salt. At some point in time, everything in the world has been a carcinogen, so it was only a matter of time before they got around to Teflon. They must have realized they weren't going to get any money out of the Weber grill people.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
vraiblonde said:
I take these "reports" with a grain of salt. At some point in time, everything in the world has been a carcinogen, so it was only a matter of time before they got around to Teflon. They must have realized they weren't going to get any money out of the Weber grill people.
:yeahthat: Lets talk about plastic. What about the chemicals that seep into your food when you microwave something in plastic? Huh? Huh? :rolleyes:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Chasey_Lane said:
Lets talk about plastic. What about the chemicals that seep into your food when you microwave something in plastic? Huh? Huh?
I have a friend who's freaked out by aluminum foil. She read somewhere that the aluminum seeps into the food you wrap in it and causes some terrible disease. :lol:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
vraiblonde said:
I have a friend who's freaked out by aluminum foil. She read somewhere that the aluminum seeps into the food you wrap in it and causes some terrible disease. :lol:

Vrai,
Tell your friend that if they make a foil hat and wear it to work it will couter act the seepage.

Agee

Chasey_Lane said:
:yeahthat: Lets talk about plastic. What about the chemicals that seep into your food when you microwave something in plastic? Huh? Huh? :rolleyes:
"PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid) a primary chemical in teflon is used in the process that makes water-, stain- and grease-resistant products, everything form microwave popcorn bags to pizza box liners, non-stick cookware to pillows, upholstrey to carpets..."

Source USA Today

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Airgasm said:
"Scientists independent of chemical industry money looked at the toxicity of this chemical, and the verdict is clear: This Teflon chemical should be considered a likely human carcinogen. If EPA officials needed a reason to level the maximum fine against this $24.6 billion company, they have it now," said EWG Senior Vice President Richard Wiles. "DuPont might be politically connected with an army of lobbyists, but it should still be held accountable."

http://www.foodconsumer.org/777/8/Independent_Science_Panel_to_EPA_Teflon_Chemical_is_Likely_Human_Carcinogen.shtml

Well, that just drastically shortened my list for the new cookware I'm looking to buy. :twitch: Any recommendations on a brand, mighty chef Gasm? BJ's has a set of Wolfgang Puck cookware I've been eying that seems like a good deal.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
jazz lady said:
Well, that just drastically shortened my list for the new cookware I'm looking to buy. :twitch: Any recommendations on a brand, mighty chef Gasm? BJ's has a set of Wolfgang Puck cookware I've been eying that seems like a good deal.

I saw that set AFTER J bought me the set I currently have. I so wanted him to send the other set back and buy the WP set :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have Calphalon and like it. I can't say I "love" it because you can't put it in the dishwasher. Does that have Teflon in it?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Airgasm said:
Here's a place for some comparison

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/kitchen/cookware/

And the WP does seem like a good deal :yay:

Thanks - nice site! :kiss: Funny, the other set I liked was the Emerilware, but it was WAY more expensive. The WP set is $99 and is probably the same as this set but I don't remember the specs right now. I'm going to stop by on my way home tonight and check it out again, then see if I can actually lift the box to purchase it. That stuff is heavy. :lol: I cannot stand cooking with the old Revere copper-bottom cookware any longer.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
jwwb2000 said:
I saw that set AFTER J bought me the set I currently have. I so wanted him to send the other set back and buy the WP set :lol:

I really like the set compared to others I've seen and you can't beat the price. I'm just not sure about the glass tops, but I do like the idea you can see what's in the pot/pan while it's cooking. :yay:

Agee

vraiblonde said:
I have Calphalon and like it. I can't say I "love" it because you can't put it in the dishwasher. Does that have Teflon in it?
If you have the "hard annodized" versions, they don't use any non-stick coatings.

sushisamba

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Airgasm said:

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!! Don't cook! I've been waiting for an excuse! No cooking means not need for Saran Wrap, foil, etc. :yay:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
sushisamba said:
I HAVE THE SOLUTION!! Don't cook! I've been waiting for an excuse! No cooking means not need for Saran Wrap, foil, etc. :yay:
For Air that statement would be blasphemy.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
jazz lady said:
I really like the set compared to others I've seen and you can't beat the price. I'm just not sure about the glass tops, but I do like the idea you can see what's in the pot/pan while it's cooking. :yay:

My glass tops have been used as symbols and they are still in one piece (finding a piece of wood to knock on). And for the price, you are getting your money's worth for sure :yay: