Sick Children, Working Moms

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
kwillia said:
Do you get sick leave or personal leave? If you get sick leave, pull you out your handbook and read your company's definition.
I have worked for a few different employers, some of them contractors. Believe it or not, I always took the time to review leave, holidays, fringe benefits, timekeeping, etc. NEVER has a handbook specified I could only take "sick" leave for myself only. And to answer your original question, I get "leave" and it can be used for anything I wish.

Chasey_Lane said:
I have worked for a few different employers, some of them contractors. Believe it or not, I always took the time to review leave, holidays, fringe benefits, timekeeping, etc. NEVER has a handbook specified I could only take "sick" leave for myself only. And to answer your original question, I get "leave" and it can be used for anything I wish.
That is not sick leave so it has not connection to the topic of this thread.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
kwillia said:
That is not sick leave so it has not connection to the topic of this thread.
Okay, so then let's take my last employer. We were given 2 weeks vacation, 5 sick days and 3 personal days. Then of course there were some holidays thrown in. My employer's handbook still didn't specify that I could only take sick for myself.

Companies may specify, but I'm just saying that I've never worked for a company that did. And if I did, that would be cruddy.

greyhound

I have 30 days of sick leave, 2 personal days & 2 months off during the summer. Unused sick leave and personal days roll over year to year (personal days become sick leave). Sick leave can be used if my child is sick.

I love my job!

Edit: I have 30 days sick leave because of the rolled over days. You get 10 to start with.

Chasey_Lane said:
Okay, so then let's take my last employer. We were given 2 weeks vacation, 5 sick days and 3 personal days. Then of course there were some holidays thrown in. My employer's handbook still didn't specify that I could only take sick for myself.

Companies may specify, but I'm just saying that I've never worked for a company that did. And if I did, that would be cruddy.
Agreed, it would suck and this brings us right back around to the point of this thread. Some companies do not tolerate an employee who has to be be gone often or for long durations due to sickly kids.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
Southern Belle said:
I'm sure these companies have heard of the Family Medical Leave Act. If not, you can make them aware of it. Have them visit this website: http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/. You are allowed to miss work to care for a sick family member. You CANNOT be fired.

Sorry I posted without seeing this post. This is what I was talking about.

Even if it is in the handbook, does not make it legal. They can print anything they want, but they still have to follow the law.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
kwillia said:
That has absolutely nothing to do with how the company defines the legal use of their sick leave. Companies are not required to pay you for leave you take to care for a family member.

Oh good point. But arent they still entitled to leave?

Nicole_in_somd said:
Sorry I posted without seeing this post. This is what I was talking about.

Even if it is in the handbook, does not make it legal. They can print anything they want, but they still have to follow the law.
Sick leave is a benefit from the company. They can terminate you for mis-using sick leave.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
kwillia said:
Sick leave is a benefit from the company. They can terminate you for mis-using sick leave.

Sad. I have never worked for a company that says that. In fact we switched from sick leave to just leave.

I guess if I leave the company I will read the handbook or ask first at the next company.

Nicole_in_somd said:
Oh good point. But arent they still entitled to leave?
but it would have to be Leave Without Pay (LWOP) and if the leave does not qualify as FLMA, then they are not performing and can be terminated for it.

Nicole_in_somd said:
Sad. I have never worked for a company that says that. In fact we switched from sick leave to just leave.

I guess if I leave the company I will read the handbook or ask first at the next company.
Yep... but that only works when you have the option to be choosy. Not everyone has that option if they want to remain gainfully employed. Read the article.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
That's a pretty sad policy. I know a lot of employers will stipulate that it (sick leave) has to be used for the employee or an immediate member of their family (child, spouse, parent) ... but not for second cousins twice removed visiting Aunt Edna for the summer.

My company -- oddly enough -- doesn't have a set number of days of sick leave per year. It's at managers' discretion. Fortunately, my boss is an understanding person (and a father of 3 kids) and doesn't want me burning up vacation days for my or DQ's illnesses. While my work laptop is primarily so I can work from multiple locations, it helps that in the event I cannot be at the office due to DQ illness, I can still stay plugged in to what's going on from home. :yay: