Simple auto repair--cheap and reliable?

MikeyBash

I have an old Chevy Van (89), that I just use to tow a pop-up to take the family camping. Next weekend, we were invited to go camping and sailing with a man who has restored and lovingly cared for my deceased father's classic wooden sail boat. This may be our last chance, since he is starting a family of his own and has decided to find a new owner to care for and cherish this one-of-a kind ocean-going vessel.

Anyway, after giving the battery a full charge, I tried to start the old van today, and got the unmistakable "click click" sound of a bad starter solenoid. Every other electrical system works great...bright headlights, etc. And when I climbed under the van to tap on the solenoid sharply while my son was cranking the engine, still no joy.

The cables all look ok, so I'm pretty convinced it needs a starter, since the solenoid and starter are a single unit. I've had this done before on my Dodge Ram pickup, and even though I brought it to a shop owned by a friend, it was an expensive repair (in his defense, he uses top-quality parts and needs money for his lavish lifestyle.)

This time, I'm on a real shoestring budget, so I wanted to ask the group if anybody knows of a local shop that does good work, but takes into account the age of the vehicle and the desires of the owner. Honestly, I just use this van a few times a year for camping trips, and if it starts 10 or 20 times a year, that will probably do. But right now, I'm strapped for funds, and if I can't get a new starter for a reasonable price, my kids may be forced to sleep in a motel parking lot while I take the cheapest, single-occupancy room with color tv and HBO :)

Nobody wants kids to suffer--so please, look into your heart--recommend a mechanic, and my kids will thank you. God bless.

bash@infront.net

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I am willing to bet it's the battery, not the starter. They will act like that with not enough amps and/or dead cells. Do you leave it on a trickle charger? Does it sit outside when not in use? Do you start it regularly? Also, I'd recommend putting Sta-bil in the gas tank.

MikeyBash

I am willing to bet it's the battery, not the starter. They will act like that with not enough amps and/or dead cells. Do you leave it on a trickle charger? Does it sit outside when not in use? Do you start it regularly? Also, I'd recommend putting Sta-bil in the gas tank.

That's possible, but I've had my share of bad batteries and bad starters, and this one seems like a starter to me. Tell me if you agree:

Yes, the van sat outside for a long time since the last time it was started. I expected the battery to be dead, so I didn't even try to start it...I brought the charger right out, and let it charge on the 10-amp setting for 8 hours before trying anything. Before I hooked up the charger, I removed the fill caps from the battery and topped off all the cells with distilled water. I did notice that one was unusually low--so you may be right that a dead cell is to blame.

I didn't check the voltage to confirm this, because when I first tried to start it I used the boost mode on the battery charger, which is rated at 50 amps. I assume this would start the engine with no battery at all, or at least get the starter to engage. After I'd disconnected the charger later, the electrical systems in the van were all strong--bright headlights, working turn signals, loud door buzzer---not something i would expect if the battery had a dead cell and wasn't producing 12+ volts.

Believe me, I tried to convince myself it could be the battery, because that would be so much easier and cheaper. In the morning, I'll do a specific gravity test on it, and if you're right, I own you a beer and a ride in my trick-out van :)

bash

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
it takes a LOT of amps to turn an engine. You need to test the battery with a load tester, you can have 14 volts, but if the amps aren't there, no start. Even if you charge a dead battery for days, if it has a bad cell(s) then no start either. I hope this helps and good luck. Let us know the outcome.

Wow, I didn't think they still made batteries that you could add water to anymore. I thought they were all sealed units?

MikeyBash

I'll give it a shot, thanks for the tip.

Yep, you can still buy non-maintenance-free batteries. My motorcycle has one too. But I think they're more sensitive to being run down too low--has something to do with material precipitating out of solution and accumulating in the bottom of the cell until it shorts out the plates. I've had it happen before--when I let the battery discharge too far.

I hope we're not all forced to drive cars like the Prius someday. Good grief--those things have dozens of batteries. After a few years, all batteries wear out. What do you do when your car has thousands of dollars of the most expensive, high-tech batteries when they're worn out after two or three years?

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
IT could be a dead battery. Girls cavy did the same thing so i pulled the starter and took it to autozone for a test. Starter was good so i replaced the battery and all was well.

I am assuming that the van is an astro van. If I am correct and it has the 4.3 this is an east starter to change and can be done in as little as an hour if you are mechanically inclined. I would go with the battery first take it out and take it to an autoparts store if you dont have a load tester to test amperage.

MikeyBash

IT could be a dead battery. Girls cavy did the same thing so i pulled the starter and took it to autozone for a test. Starter was good so i replaced the battery and all was well.

I am assuming that the van is an astro van. If I am correct and it has the 4.3 this is an east starter to change and can be done in as little as an hour if you are mechanically inclined. I would go with the battery first take it out and take it to an autoparts store if you dont have a load tester to test amperage.

It's not an astro van, it's an old-school Chevy G10 full-size conversion van with a 305 engine. i had to get to the starter to bang on the solenoid, and it would be easy to get to if i could jack up the fan. I've replaced the starter in my Dodge Ram while it was sitting on wheels--much more clearance. I may just go ahead and do it...i'm convinced it's the starter solenoid and not the battery or even the starter. But these days, you have to replace the starter along with the solenoid--probably needs it anyway.

Of course, I'll test the battery first. Nothing more embarrassing than replacing the wrong part because you were "sure" that was the problem!

MadDogMarine

If you notice, I believe you have one heavy cable(+smaller control cable) going to the solenoid with the bolts holding the starter as the return path to ground. Jumper cables or battery swap out from another vehicle will immediately establish the location of the problem. If it doesn't start with test battery then problem is in starter. I've seen mechanics(myself included) in the old days drop the starter and file clean the metal to metal contacts the starter case makes with the block(flywheel cover) , tighten all bolts and she starts right up. ????
Cheaper than a new starter.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
It's not an astro van, it's an old-school Chevy G10 full-size conversion van with a 305 engine. i had to get to the starter to bang on the solenoid, and it would be easy to get to if i could jack up the fan. I've replaced the starter in my Dodge Ram while it was sitting on wheels--much more clearance. I may just go ahead and do it...i'm convinced it's the starter solenoid and not the battery or even the starter. But these days, you have to replace the starter along with the solenoid--probably needs it anyway.

Of course, I'll test the battery first. Nothing more embarrassing than replacing the wrong part because you were "sure" that was the problem!

Sorry, dont see many of the late 80's full size chevy's running around. THese one of the ones with the access door inside the truck. I would do battery before messing with the starter as the "click-click" is 9 times out of 10 not enough amperage. You should be able to find a solenoid at auto zone usually about $15-$20.

You havent had a challenge until you remove a starter off a 96 cavalier without jacking it up in the dark. Other than a flashlight most was done by feel, and im a big guy so squeezing under the front was a task in itself.

Good luck with whatever route you choose, and i hope you can get it going without having to take it to a shop.

N

navywife1984

If you can get it started, you can take it to your local Advance Auto Parts Store and they can test it for you for free and tell you if it is the Battery or Starter, or if it is possibly something else. Being on a shoestring budget is tough and this will give you the info you need to get it fixed without having to pay for someone else to diagnose the problem. Also, if it is just the battery, they can install a new one on the spot and you are only charged for the battery, no additional install charge.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your camping and sailing trip.

:patriot: