Since we have decided that the law should regulate where we smoke

bcp

In My Opinion
because it is offensive, and causes health problems in the non smoker, lets move on to perfume.

Many people like myself have allergies,, or reactions to perfumes when exposed to them in public places.
My symptoms begin with my sinus clogging up, then it moves to my eyes and begins burning them, My eyes begin to water and it is painful to keep them open.
after a few moment of exposure, my eyes will begin to turn red, and the area around them begins to swell. enough time around a strong enough perfume can cause my eyes to swell shut.
as if this is not bad enough, I begin coughing and having a hard time breathing as my throat begins to burn.

this is a real symptom that I experience in the checkout lines at a store, on public transportation,,(well, I use that about once every 5 years or so) on planes ( I always end up seated next to the swamp woman that spilled her .99 cent per gallon fragrance on herself prior to the flight)
I gave up working in office spaces with computers years ago because of this condition.

yet, as a smoker, miss take a bath in perfume has the right to claim that I am causing her problems. her perfume is my problem.

from an article on this situation that I found while trying to figure out if I am alone in this world

The chemicals in fragrances can initiate or cause irritation or allergic reactions in sensitive people. Typical reactions to fragrances include breathing problems, asthma and contact dermatitis (an itchy and inflamed skin rash).

So as we see, perfume is a real threat to the health of many individuals in this country today.

why then, are we not attacking perfume abusers in the same manner as we do smokers? why are they not required to move their desk out in the courtyard regardless of the weather, or are they not allowed to stand near an entrance door to a building while fouling the air?

I think that it IS time for those of us that suffer from fragrance allergies, or reactions stand up for our rights and put the fragrance drenched old biddies out to pasture with the smokers.

Somdmommy

:Jeepin' in NC:
bcp said:
because it is offensive, and causes health problems in the non smoker, lets move on to perfume.

Many people like myself have allergies,, or reactions to perfumes when exposed to them in public places.
My symptoms begin with my sinus clogging up, then it moves to my eyes and begins burning them, My eyes begin to water and it is painful to keep them open.
after a few moment of exposure, my eyes will begin to turn red, and the area around them begins to swell. enough time around a strong enough perfume can cause my eyes to swell shut.
as if this is not bad enough, I begin coughing and having a hard time breathing as my throat begins to burn.

this is a real symptom that I experience in the checkout lines at a store, on public transportation,,(well, I use that about once every 5 years or so) on planes ( I always end up seated next to the swamp woman that spilled her .99 cent per gallon fragrance on herself prior to the flight)
I gave up working in office spaces with computers years ago because of this condition.

yet, as a smoker, miss take a bath in perfume has the right to claim that I am causing her problems. her perfume is my problem.

from an article on this situation that I found while trying to figure out if I am alone in this world

So as we see, perfume is a real threat to the health of many individuals in this country today.

why then, are we not attacking perfume abusers in the same manner as we do smokers? why are they not required to move their desk out in the courtyard regardless of the weather, or are they not allowed to stand near an entrance door to a building while fouling the air?

I think that it IS time for those of us that suffer from fragrance allergies, or reactions stand up for our rights and put the fragrance drenched old biddies out to pasture with the smokers.
How are you going to do that?

Would you like them to get a ticket for wearing too much?

bcp

In My Opinion
Somdmommy said:
How are you going to do that?

Would you like them to get a ticket for wearing too much?
I think that not allowing it in places that people work, or are forced to be tightly packed together would be a good idea.

maybe a floor in elevators that would allow the passengers to release the offending individuals in the case of emergency overdose would be good.

Most of the offenders are in the 50 and up range. Does the sense of smell start to diminish with age? maybe that is what the problem is, they just dont realize that they over applied the stuff.

Somdmommy

bcp said:
I think that not allowing it in places that people work, or are forced to be tightly packed together would be a good idea.

maybe a floor in elevators that would allow the passengers to release the offending individuals in the case of emergency overdose would be good.

Most of the offenders are in the 50 and up range. Does the sense of smell start to diminish with age? maybe that is what the problem is, they just dont realize that they over applied the stuff.
I can agree with that....I can see the workplace having a rule about perfume.

I know what your talking about, I cant stand to walk through a store and smell an old womans perfume. Give me a headache.

Hawk

It Wasn't Me
Last i knew perfume didnt give you lung cancer, if you get problems around perfume at least when you move away from the area it clears up, i personally dont think that when im out i should have to breath in someone elses smoke, and nothing pisses me off more than driving down the road and some ####### throws the cig out the window of there car.

The UK introduced a NO smoking in public and or any place that serves food, maybe the US should follow that idea.

Also is there a pill you can take to control lung cancer like you can to control allergies?????

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
Hawk said:
Last i knew perfume didnt give you lung cancer, if you get problems around perfume at least when you moe away from the area it clears up, i personally dont think that when im out i should have to breath in someone elses smoke, and nothing pisses me off more than driving down the road and some ####### throws the cig out the window of there car.

The UK introduced a NO smoking in public and or any place that serves food, maybe the US should follow that idea.

Also is there a pill you can take to control lung cancer like you can to control allergies?????

did you know that its easier to take a shower than it is to stop smoking?

did you also know that to some people asthma can be fatal?

have you ever tried to drive with your eyes swollen shut?

did you know that constant use of allergy medications can cause damage to your liver?

bcp

In My Opinion
Hawk said:
Do the smokers think about this also, or is that only the people who use/sell perfume?
since the smokers cant fire up at their desk, or in public transportation I fail to see the issue here.

I can walk away from a perfume stench woman when Im outside, but I cant get away from her in an office environment.

you know, all I am saying is that if you stink, take a shower, dont cover it up with some fake rose smelling stench.

bcp

In My Opinion
A non smoking old lady with poor hygene and a failing nose just gave me red.

sorry, didnt mean to offend you. but you do know that they have handicap stuff to put in the shower now to keep you from falling?

try it and smell better the natural way.. SOAP.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Hawk said:
Last i knew perfume didnt give you lung cancer, if you get problems around perfume at least when you moe away from the area it clears up, i personally dont think that when im out i should have to breath in someone elses smoke, and nothing pisses me off more than driving down the road and some ####### throws the cig out the window of there car.

Can you explain to me how to moe away from people? Do I need a moer or can I just walk away? I guess I could just moe them down. I hate it when someone throws a cig out the window of there car. I wish I could throw a bottle of perfume at there car. JMHO :howdy:

Toxick

Splat
Hawk said:
i personally dont think that when im out i should have to breath in someone elses smoke, and nothing pisses me off more than driving down the road and some ####### throws the cig out the window of there car.

Cars are WAY more dangerous than cigarettes. Plus they put out the same noxious fumes as cigarettes, and then some.

DOWN WITH PUBLIC DRIVING!!!

bcp

In My Opinion
MysticalMom said:
Well my perfume smells lovely. :yay:
Im sure it does too.

but that does not make the reaction to it any easier to take.

and no, smokers dont really like the smell of butt smoke....

somehow that sounded wrong.

Somdmommy

bcp said:
Im sure it does too.

but that does not make the reaction to it any easier to take.

and no, smokers dont really like the smell of butt smoke....

somehow that sounded wrong.
Everyone loves their own brand!