Since we have decided that the law should regulate where we smoke

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Old ladies in church, usually Sat pm mass, are the worse.:dead: I can handle someone smelling like cigs better than perfume.

ylexot

Super Genius
Does anyone know what the exposure level of cigarette smoke is that is known to cause cancer?

dck4shrt

ylexot said:
Does anyone know what the exposure level of cigarette smoke is that is known to cause cancer?

Your risk of cancer increases with the amount of years that you've been smoking and with the number of cigarettes you have each day. It is certainly a cummulative effect that will cause cancer. That being said, there is no known threshold that you have to go over to get cancer. Some people smoke for 15-20 years and get it, some people can smoke for 40-50 years and be ok. There are some risk levels that I've heard about, for instance if you smoke 2 packs/day for 10 years, your risk for lung cancer increases dramatically as you pass this 'threshold'. The chemicals in the smoke constantly damage your cells/cause mutations. Your body is continually cleaning up/repairing the cells. At some point in time, your body might not be able to keep up with this process and cancer can take hold.

I'd guess that there are certain unknown factors (genetics, overall health, level of exposure to other carcinogens, etc) that can contribute to the risk.

2nd hand smoke is a little more difficult to quantify, but smoke inhaled from the burning end of the cigarette is far more harmful (on a per/volume basis) than smoke that has gone through the filter.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I drove a school bus for what seems like hundreds of years. The smells are awful. 50 kids and 50 different stinks. I finally banned the use of the following items while on the bus.....purfume,powder, hairspray, nail polish and remover, lotion ect. You all get the point. It would be so strong in there that I would have to open the window in the dead of winter so I could breathe. All those stinkys covered up the delicate aroma of my cigarettes.

Toxick

Splat
ylexot said:

I don't know about anyone else, but the mere whiff of second-hand smoke sends my body into full-on cancer mode, which is why I drop to floor in a convulsion and become spastic whenever I see someone across the parking lot light up.

Just looking at cigarettes gives me eye-cancer.

And just in case anyone missed it: :sarcasm:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
baileydog said:
All those stinkys covered up the delicate aroma of my cigarettes.

I love that line:
But most of all what I resent, is your perfume, however subtle, interfering with the scent of my fine three-dollar-and-seventy-nine-cent cigar, which I will put out this instant if the phallic nature of it happens to offend your GODDAMN FRAGILE SENSIBILITIES! Does it?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Toxick said:
I don't know about anyone else, but the mere whiff of second-hand smoke sends my body into full-on cancer mode, which is why I drop to floor in a convulsion and become spastic whenever I see someone across the parking lot light up.

Just looking at cigarettes gives me eye-cancer.

And just in case anyone missed it: :sarcasm:

You may be joking, but there are really people like that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hawk said:
nothing pisses me off more than driving down the road and some ####### throws the cig out the window of there car.
What kind of car do you drive? Because next time I see you on the road, I'm going to speed up and get in front of you, then I'm going to flip my butt out the window and bounce it right off your windshield.

:banana:

(Oh, and please provide the license plate number, too. Wouldn't want to get someone else by accident.)

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
vraiblonde said:
What kind of car do you drive? Because next time I see you on the road, I'm going to speed up and get in front of you, then I'm going to flip my butt out the window and bounce it right off your windshield.

(Oh, and please provide the license plate number, too. Wouldn't want to get someone else by accident.)
I've done that to tailgaters.

Bans on smoking is a bunch of leftist crap, and yes I donnot smoke. If you don't like it, leave. It's legal and someones choice. Why don't we fine beaches because of skin cancer. And guns, cause we all know that they kill people.

dck4shrt

vraiblonde said:

Littering is illegal. Be it cigarette butts from smokers or McDonald's wrappers from fatties.

Somdmommy

:Jeepin' in NC:
vraiblonde said:

Elaine, Toxick, Bustem' down, and Vrai:

Reading those posts made me smile!!!!
I love how you guys can be total smarts ases, and make a really good point out of it too

G

Gemmi

I get headaches from the smell of perfume.I can't even wear it myself.As for cigarette smoke,I was a pack a day smoker for a few years.I gave it up about 8 years ago even though I occasionally have a cigarette if I'm at a bar or social event.I don't, however like smelling the smoke if I'm eating or in an enclosed area like a vehicle.As for secondhand smoke,I have been around that most of my life as my father smoked and so does my husband.