Sleeping tablets linked to early death

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Not surprising that if you're to screwed up to sleep you would die early

Not necessarily. I am a HORRID sleeper, I wake at least once or twice a night, takes me forever to fall asleep, sharing my bed is worse than murder... I took sleeping pills for a couple years and while they helped me fall asleep I still never stayed asleep. Even the controlled release pills couldn't keep me down. I tend to wake at midnight and again at 3 most nights. My doctor told me that apparently that's just the witching hour and to try to actually get up and do something for a little while. I then read an article about sleep cycles before electricity. Our bodies are not naturally programmed to sleep for 8 hours a time. Only over the past few centuries have we adopted this sleep style. I'm still a crappy sleeper but since I started getting up for a bit I fall asleep faster and am able to go back to sleep faster after I wake.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm curious what they consider "premature" death? Like they can gauge how long the person would have lived had they not taken sleeping pills?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Not necessarily. I am a HORRID sleeper, I wake at least once or twice a night, takes me forever to fall asleep, sharing my bed is worse than murder... I took sleeping pills for a couple years and while they helped me fall asleep I still never stayed asleep. Even the controlled release pills couldn't keep me down. I tend to wake at midnight and again at 3 most nights. My doctor told me that apparently that's just the witching hour and to try to actually get up and do something for a little while. I then read an article about sleep cycles before electricity. Our bodies are not naturally programmed to sleep for 8 hours a time. Only over the past few centuries have we adopted this sleep style. I'm still a crappy sleeper but since I started getting up for a bit I fall asleep faster and am able to go back to sleep faster after I wake.
I don't sleep well either. Friday night it was 4 am before I went to sleep. Saturday was better -- maybe midnight. Monday night I was still up at 1 am. When I finally do fall asleep I'm up tossing at least once every hour. It's completely exhausting and draining. I drink a cup or two of chamomille tea every night to try and calm my body down. Sometimes I'll take some Nyquil but that's rare. I tried sleeping pills in the past and I didn't like how they made me feel in the morning. Oh well...

MMDad

Lem Putt
This is like saying that people who take insulin are more likely to die early.

Sounds like people who have chronic sleeping problems are more likely to die early. For the result to be valid, they would need to compare people who receive treatment for chronic sleeping problems with those who do not.

I also wonder how they differentiate between those who use the meds correctly and those who abuse them.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I don't sleep well either. Friday night it was 4 am before I went to sleep. Saturday was better -- maybe midnight. Monday night I was still up at 1 am. When I finally do fall asleep I'm up tossing at least once every hour. It's completely exhausting and draining. I drink a cup or two of chamomille tea every night to try and calm my body down. Sometimes I'll take some Nyquil but that's rare. I tried sleeping pills in the past and I didn't like how they made me feel in the morning. Oh well...

If I've had a lot of caffine or sugar in the evening I'll pop a coulpe Benadryl. It's way easier on the body that prescription sleeping pills. :yay: I'll see if I can find the article I read for ya.

MMDad

Lem Putt
If I've had a lot of caffine or sugar in the evening I'll pop a coulpe Benadryl. It's way easier on the body that prescription sleeping pills. :yay: I'll see if I can find the article I read for ya.

Benadryl is in Tylenol PM as a sleep aid.

warneckutz

Any of you try Melatonin or ZMA? I do a combination of the two and I usually sleep for about 2 hours (max) and I just wake up and I feel like it's my normal wake up time. Then I look at the clock and realize I've got 4-6 hours to sleep... and :geek: er...:snooze:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Any of you try Melatonin or ZMA? I do a combination of the two and I usually sleep for about 2 hours (max) and I just wake up and I feel like it's my normal wake up time. Then I look at the clock and realize I've got 4-6 hours to sleep... and :geek: er...:snooze:

I use Melatonin occasionally. It doesn't get me past the extreme insomnia, but it does help me get to sleep faster.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

How do you take melatonin? Is it pill/capsule form or something else?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones

Segmented sleep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Can't find the exact article that I read but this is the idea. I can tell you that since I stopped "fighting" it and getting all mentally spun up because I'm not getting 8 hrs straight through, I feel a ton better. If I wake in the middle of the night I'll get up, go throw in a load of laundry, get a cup of water, and turn on the tv with the timer set for an hour. I'm always back out before the tv turns off and usually wake 10 minutes before my alarm goes off in the morning. Sometimes I nap in the evening, sometimes not, that depends greatly on the kids and dogs. I'd love to nap every evening. :lol:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The only thing I find on ZMA is for body builders, is it the same thing?

kk2187

I didn't read this article but they had a news segment on it last night. They said people are more likely to die earlier because insomnia is usually a symptom for something else, and by taking the sleeping pills you're covering it up. They highlighted fluid around the heart, diabetes (you get up often to go pee), cancer (hormonal changes affecting sleep), and one other thing I forgot.

So I don't think it's the actual pills causing the premature death..

Again I didn't read the article or pay 100% attention to the news segment as they were probably just trying to scare people into listening anyway.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I didn't read this article but they had a news segment on it last night. They said people are more likely to die earlier because insomnia is usually a symptom for something else, and by taking the sleeping pills you're covering it up. They highlighted fluid around the heart, diabetes (you get up often to go pee), cancer (hormonal changes affecting sleep), and one other thing I forgot.

Now that's an interesting point. When you have sleep apnea, for example, you stop breathing while you're asleep. Your body wakes you up so that you'll resume breathing. BUT what if you take a sleeping pill and your body can't wake you up?