Small Business Going out of Business in ST Mary's County?

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
What in the county is going on with all of the small business going out of business in St Mary's County latley. Mama Leons pizza, Raileys Store, Lindas Cafe, Alltimate Motor Sports, Furniture Store of San Suci ,etc .Starting to look like were going into a recession?.........:coffee: Suppot your mom and pops.:buddies:.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If people would either A) pay their bills; or B) not open a dumb store that has no local market, they wouldn't go out of business.

What in the county is going on with all of the small business going out of business in St Mary's County latley. Mama Leons pizza, Raileys Store, Lindas Cafe, Alltimate Motor Sports, Furniture Store of San Suci ,etc .Starting to look like were going into a recession?.........:coffee: Suppot your mom and pops.:buddies:.

My .02 -

This is the drawbacks of "chain" stores - Walmart, McDonalds and such...

Normally it depends on what I am buying will drive me to whatever store I will go to... but I will pay a bit more and go to a Mom and Pop shop for customer support before and after the purchase...

Recession - no, just small business being gobbled up by the larger conglomerates...

Gummie

Big box stores always win. My hometown had it's downtown shut down when Wal-Mart moved in and now Lowe's is there and the two local hardware stores are out of business. Remember the box stores pay low dollar and offer no benefits because most of their employees are "part-time". The money you spent at the local stores made its way to the other local businesses such as restuarants, etc.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, Big Box had nothing to do with Mama Leone's, Linda's and that San Sucky furniture store closing down.

but I will pay a bit more and go to a Mom and Pop shop for customer support before and after the purchase...
Sure, if they'll actually provide support. I used Lowes for the first part of my laminate floors, then Griffin for the second part. I paid more at Griffin, but I got superior service from them. Not all local businesses do that.

And I have a whole advertising rant, but I'll spare you. :lol:

RadioCtrlDWife

Localism

Big box stores always win. My hometown had it's downtown shut down when Wal-Mart moved in and now Lowe's is there and the two local hardware stores are out of business. Remember the box stores pay low dollar and offer no benefits because most of their employees are "part-time". The money you spent at the local stores made its way to the other local businesses such as restuarants, etc.
I think it is a shame now that the storefront model is sadly either Home Depot, Loews's, or nothing. I miss local hardware stores with real employees. The chains are cheap but inventory is surprisingly shallow on real hardware that is not 100% mainstream. The quality of nuts and bolts is poor and the sizes are only the most popular. My uncle owned Circle Hardware in Baltimore when I was a kid, so I am spoiled by a real hardware store run by a mechanic.

Thinking of my uncle, INTEGRITY is also a key to success in a local business because you see the same people at the food store who are your customers.
If people would either A) pay their bills; or B) not open a dumb store that has no local market, they wouldn't go out of business.

I hope we can be the exception to this and grow a small specialty biz here in southern Maryland.
IIII's R Us
We are just starting this microbiz down here doing enhancement of wireless and cell service inside buildings and vehicles. We have been doing engineering and now going into the consumer market. We had only been providing consulting engineering services before to the wireless industry and broadcasters.

I think that only value added small businesses are successful. Our value added is personal experience and you can talk to an engineer. Both my wife and I are able to work directly with non technical customers.

My point is maybe the customer can find all the little pieces on the Internet at slightly lower price, but if they can't figure out how to use the stuff, there is not someone local who can take time to talk to them, much less drop by to see what is going on if needed. Someone in Chicago is not going to know what works where in our particular geography.

We are counting on uniqueness and localism to be an advantage. I think one has to be "off the beaten track", doing something the chains can't do to compete with chains. The small guy has to have value added. Selling a product alone will not work, you really need some personal service that is attached to the sale that requires a trained person. You are ahead if this value added can't be done by an untrained person off the street who GlombMart can hire for minimum wage and replace when they get sick or ask for a real wage.
IMHO
Bill

Last edited:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Well, Big Box had nothing to do with Mama Leone's, Linda's and that San Sucky furniture store closing down.

And I have a whole advertising rant, but I'll spare you. :lol:
:yeahthat:

The Big Box stores did not put anyone of these companies out of business.
The owners put themselves out of business.
I have been in business for "too" many years and have had ups and downs.
I never blamed the downs on anyone but myself. I also took all the credit for the ups, which is not true.
JMHO

dn0121

I know many former Lowes employees who are doing very well in retirement. I also know many that work there now and love the benefits. When I worked at a local hardware store there were no benefits, but that was just one store in one area of the country.

ImnoMensa

In Linda's case I doubt Walmart had anything to do with the demise of her Leonardtown outlet.

Raley's??? Dan Raley made money there, In fatc its so far away from other stores it should be a gold mine.

I dont know much about the others, but not everyone is a good business person.

I dont believe True value has to worry about Walmart and would probably do ok in the Park area as well.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Small Business Going... 10-23-2007 08:08 PM Got any proof on what bills they didn't say? I know one store on there that does and you said doesn't. Please learn the facts, kid.

Since someone chose to ask the question in karma instead of out in the open, I have no idea which store this person is talking about or who is disputing what I said. I would submit to whoever you are that people who pay their bills are not foreclosed on, are not locked out of their business, and their financial situation is not freely available to look up in court records.

Since I can find judgements against the businesses that were listed, it's kind of hard to deny. Do you have one you'd like to dispute?

morris63

http://forums.somd.com/images/smilies/wave.gif
:howdy:

Leonardtown, Maryland is booming with new business !! The new shopping center named Breton Market Place, where the old Mattingly's grocery store was has a mexican restaurant named "Salsa's", the "Do Da Deli" that was in the old part of Leonardtown is now open in that same shopping center. Also, in a few weeks Ledo's Pizza will be opening up. I understand that there will be a full hair/nail salon/spa and a fitness center for women opening up the middle of November. Everyone should check all of it out! I do not know what is happening down south, but, Leonardtown is producing a lot of new places to eat, get your hair cut, nails done and exercise too, all at Breton Market Place . Check it Out !

Realist

No B.S Pleez
Linda's

Did they really go out of business?? I heard a while ago, the plan was to close the LP City Cafe and move to Leonardtown. Did they not do that?

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
Helping neighbors build communities.

Don't be a crook and liar, and pay your bills.
Pay your bills.

Pay your bills.

Don't screw your customers and you might keep some.

Don't price yourself out of the market.

There you go. Problem solved. Next?

Small buisness protect competition and consumer choice.Chain stores destroy as many jobs and much tax revenue as they create. Local stores contribute far more to the economy.Local business are rooted; Chain stores will abandon a location if profit margins fail to meet expectations. The US is now home to more than 350 vacated Walmart stores. The next time you want that Big Mac think about that mom and pop store down the street. Fact I know of 8 small buisness that are going to go out of business in St Mary's in months to come. Most chain stores has the backing of NYSE were money is not an issue. small business do not. :howdy:

R

Rienell

I really hate to see good Mom n Pop joints go out of business. Especially a good resturant. I will pay w/e I have to for a good meal anyday rather than chain resturant frozen/canned food.

However, other jobs that require labor, electricians, constructions/contractors don't leave us much choice. We just moved here and wanted a new workshop built. The prices for those already built, and quotes from local contractor's were downright ridiculous compared to cost of materials. We have opted to just take our time and do it ourselves now.

Then there is the "day worker" issue. I hear you can go to Lowes... hold up your hand in the parking lot and they will come running/racing each other for work. Is this true or a bunch of BS? I imagine they take a lot of business away from reputable contractors who have gone through a lot of trouble to legally acquire license, insurance and so forth. Kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Anyone have info/thoughts on that?