Smeco

C

czygvtwkr

The reason power here goes out so often is because the trees are not properly trimmed.

I lived in a more rural area where there were over head lines, however there was a power company truck out every summer trimming the trees in all of the surburban areas. In 26 years I can't recall loosing power for more than an hour.

Homeowners can do their part and not plant trees near overhead lines but do you think anyone in southern maryland would be courteous?

DarbyOhara

Musician
So right....

Originally posted by czygvtwkr
The reason power here goes out so often is because the trees are not properly trimmed.

I lived in a more rural area where there were over head lines, however there was a power company truck out every summer trimming the trees in all of the surburban areas. In 26 years I can't recall loosing power for more than an hour.

Homeowners can do their part and not plant trees near overhead lines but do you think anyone in southern maryland would be courteous?

I have to agree with you on this...
When my other half moved here from Georgia quite a few years ago, that was one of the first things she noticed. Well, that made me take a second look.. and by gawd, the lines ARE corroded with limbs from the trees and are hardly ever trimmed!

Shortly before the last hurricane I had a conversation with some of the locals, and I mentioned this... they got offended and said, our power line ARE trimmed. I said, just take a ride down Rte 5 and look. One person jumped in and said, I drive Rte 5 EVERYDAY and those power lines are always trimmed.... *shakin head* I gave up trying to convince, explain or articulate the facts. Guess I must drive on a different Rte 5 them those.... :deadhorse

G

geminigrl

I get upset when my electric goes out also, but does anyone consider all the hours they put in? When we are at home sleeping they are out working, especially after the hurricane, we need to give the people at smeco just a little more credit.

:wink:

DarbyOhara

Musician
They get it...

Originally posted by geminigrl
I get upset when my electric goes out also, but does anyone consider all the hours they put in? When we are at home sleeping they are out working, especially after the hurricane, we need to give the people at smeco just a little more credit.

:wink:

I think for the most part... many people do credit their work and appreciate the luxury of having electricity when it's on...

There are many with jobs that entail various factors, but go unrewarded or unnoticed... My point was... many of us aren't from this area and immediatelly notice one major factor that is totally unacceptable in many other areas throughout the country... and it is this... you are only asking for a catastrophe when you got big branches, leaves and some trees hanging and leaning on power lines... just ask some of the squirrels that didn't make it...:silly: Fried! and roasted!

C

czygvtwkr

Re: So right....

Originally posted by DarbyOhara
I have to agree with you on this...
When my other half moved here from Georgia quite a few years ago, that was one of the first things she noticed. Well, that made me take a second look.. and by gawd, the lines ARE corroded with limbs from the trees and are hardly ever trimmed!

Shortly before the last hurricane I had a conversation with some of the locals, and I mentioned this... they got offended and said, our power line ARE trimmed. I said, just take a ride down Rte 5 and look. One person jumped in and said, I drive Rte 5 EVERYDAY and those power lines are always trimmed.... *shakin head* I gave up trying to convince, explain or articulate the facts. Guess I must drive on a different Rte 5 them those.... :deadhorse

Interesting, I think where I use to live there was no branch overhead of a powerline within a 6 foot buffer.

The trucks trimming trees were out all summer long and were very noticable (bright orange with an industrial size chipper pulled behind) ......I have never seen a truck here trimming near power lines.

MikeyBash

I finally did get my power back, but I had to drive around until I saw a SMECO truck, and when I told the guy, he said he thought the power had already been restored on my street. I thought this was strange, since I'd called three times to report the outage and my neighbors had been calling too.

The SMECO repair guys were great...they followed me back to my house, and did a simple fix that had our power back in about 10 minutes.

My gripe isn't with the guys who work so hard to fix the problems, it's with the folks in the SMECO office who can't communicate theh fact that a certain street is out, and could be fixed very quickly. If I hadn't chased down that truck, we'd probably have been out all night.

BTW, I emailed SMECO directly and they told me that their service was "Steller." I guess when you've got a monopoly you can tell your customers how good you are. In the real world, the customers get to tell you how they like your service.

I just wonder what would happen if I went to a resturant, and they buned my steak, and I complained, and the manager told me it was was "steller".

I could go on and on.