Smelling marijuana is not enough to search vehicle

This_person

That doesn't necessarily mean the county mounties and staties have to enforce the federal law.

Very true. Tenth Amendment advocates are very strong in their "nullify" effort. If you don't like a federal law, ignore it - essentially nullifying the law.

I'm a believer in jury nullification, but not outright violation of the constitution by the states. Repeal the 17th, and this will likely stop.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
My point is, if someone is carrying legal, medical marijuana in their car, there's a likelihood an officer would smell it if that person were to be pulled over.

Can you see how it may affect anything in MD with it being medically legal?

No, same as if an office stops you and smells Acohol.. (legal in MD as well)..

He's going to ask you to get out of your car, ask you to take a sobriety test, and then ask you if you have any open containers in the vehicle, and if he can search said vehicle..

If you say no.. he arrests you, automatically seizes your license and suspends it, and if he feels the need calls in the dogs so they can alert on the car and give him/her probable cause to search your car.

Just replace Alcohol with weed.. nothing is going to change.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Recreational pot will become legal, sometime during Rushern Bakers first term as governor.

Same even if is legal recreationally..

They smell it.. they'll have you get out of your car, ensure you're not under the influence and search your car to ensure you don't have more than is allowed by law.. or that there is other illicit drugs or weapons in your car.

Hijinx

Same even if is legal recreationally..

They smell it.. they'll have you get out of your car, ensure you're not under the influence and search your car to ensure you don't have more than is allowed by law.. or that there is other illicit drugs or weapons in your car.

After they rip your car to pieces who pays to put it back together.

officeguy

Yes. Yes they do.

The US attorneys dont even prosecute pot cases for anything less than 500lbs. They hand it to the respective state and tell them 'do you want it?' So yes, technically local cops can enforce federal law, but for the case of pot it has little consequence.

That may change going forward under Jeff 'pot is worse than heroin' Sessions.

This_person

The US attorneys dont even prosecute pot cases for anything less than 500lbs. They hand it to the respective state and tell them 'do you want it?' So yes, technically local cops can enforce federal law, but for the case of pot it has little consequence.

That may change going forward under Jeff 'pot is worse than heroin' Sessions.

The thing is, I'm fine with pot being legalized:

RaPt6cP.jpg

That said, while it is illegal it should be treated as such. We are a nation of laws, and if we ignore them we are a banana republic.