Smow

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Fired up the tractor Bronco that's on 40" tires since it's not been run in a while...got bread and milk and beer...stgislander was in the shop rebuilding his favorite show shovel...another of the island compound residents is putting the snow plow on his F-350..

We ain't gonna see 1 inch of snow now. We've completely jinxed it already.

Grumpy

Fired up the tractor Bronco that's on 40" tires since it's not been run in a while...got bread and milk and beer...stgislander was in the shop rebuilding his favorite show shovel...another of the island compound residents is putting the snow plow on his F-350..

We ain't gonna see 1 inch of snow now. We've completely jinxed it already.

I don't know, I bought a huge snow thrower 3 years ago..and it only came with a 3 yr guarantee of no snow..

frequentflier

happy to be living
Is that a YES or NO?

The last *prediction* I saw (and please bear with me, I checked a couple hours ago and I have fed the animals, gotten the wood stove going, made dinner for myself etc), is that we (in Solomons) might get up to 6 inches on Saturday night through Sunday morning. Is that enough to pre- close my store on Saturday? Ahh, no. Is it enough to cancel the adoption event? Ahh, no again. Say the store won't be open on Sunday at 11? Hard to tell. If "I" can get there (providing no trees or live power lines have fallen on my home and or the roads that lead me to the store), we will be open Sunday at 11. Even if my coworkers have a hard time getting in because of this event, I barring catastrophic events, will be there!

P.S. My priority of the people that work for and with me is safety. I do not want someone that is not comfortable driving in the snow and ice to do so if they cannot or should not! If the Sheriffs dept tells people to stay off the road, I am in agreement!

General Lee

I don't get it. The forecast is for inches, not feet of snow. Doubtful stores will be closed even one day.
Just how long do people think they are going to be hunkered down?

Sadly this is how most Americans are. They panic over a 4-6 inch snow storm and don't have enough in the house to get through it. That is why you have panic, empty shelves, packed parking lots. PEOPLE SIMPLY DON'T PREPARE. Imagine what it would really be like if/when a REAL catastrophe hit.

PeoplesElbow

Sadly this is how most Americans are. They panic over a 4-6 inch snow storm and don't have enough in the house to get through it. That is why you have panic, empty shelves, packed parking lots. PEOPLE SIMPLY DON'T PREPARE. Imagine what it would really be like if/when a REAL catastrophe hit.

I have only seen this sort of thing after I moved to southern Maryland.

I think it is a southern thing, which is understandable them freaking out, and that there are enough people here from the south that has caused the panic to spread.

You really don't see people in Western PA and Ohio freak out over the possibility of snow.

We moved to this county back in the 70s and I can remember whenever we had accumulating snow businesses were unable to get their driveways cleared and delivery trucks didn't replenish at the pace they do these days. When what was on the shelves was gone it took some time to get stock back in. I also remember school being cancelled for days on end because the county roads and school parking lots and sidewalks took days and days to get cleared.

So I think that is part of the mindset, but now add to it the fact that we are an "immediate gratification" society now. We don't accept "doing without". That goes for pretty much everyone including those of you making fun of the "snow panic" folks. Think about it and you'll understand what I mean. Now for this storm... add into the fact that it is happening over the weekend which is usually the time folks do their weekly grocery shopping. I know we try to eat fresh in this house so most of what I cook with has to be purchased weekly. I need to run out this morning and "stock up" but it won't be just because of the snow.

People fret over other people for the silliest things.

PeoplesElbow

That is called making fun of.

The thing I don't get at all is why do snow shovels suddenly become a hot item, do people use them once and throw them away after using them? I have had the same snow shovel since I was in college 25 years ago.

The thing I don't get at all is why do snow shovels suddenly become a hot item, do people use them once and throw them away after using them? I have had the same snow shovel since I was in college 25 years ago.
Our location is an area which experiences a high influx of people because of the base and surrounding businesses. It makes sense to me that each year there is a sizable number of those moving to the area or those who move out on their own (leaving parents or roomates) that need snow shovels. Even those in apartments have to have a way to dig their cars out.

General Lee

We moved to this county back in the 70s and I can remember whenever we had accumulating snow businesses were unable to get their driveways cleared and delivery trucks didn't replenish at the pace they do these days. When what was on the shelves was gone it took some time to get stock back in. I also remember school being cancelled for days on end because the county roads and school parking lots and sidewalks took days and days to get cleared.

So I think that is part of the mindset, but now add to it the fact that we are an "immediate gratification" society now. We don't accept "doing without". That goes for pretty much everyone including those of you making fun of the "snow panic" folks. Think about it and you'll understand what I mean. Now for this storm... add into the fact that it is happening over the weekend which is usually the time folks do their weekly grocery shopping. I know we try to eat fresh in this house so most of what I cook with has to be purchased weekly. I need to run out this morning and "stock up" but it won't be just because of the snow.

I agree with some of what you are saying. I am not referring to just snow. Its any emergency or storm. To many people fail to prepare for long emergencies. I'm not talking building bunkers and being a hard core prepper. But you are right, people expect NOT to do without. That is when they bitch and expect the government to bail them out when they failed to follow recommendations and prepare to take care of themselves.

I agree with some of what you are saying. I am not referring to just snow. Its any emergency or storm. To many people fail to prepare for long emergencies. I'm not talking building bunkers and being a hard core prepper. But you are right, people expect NOT to do without. That is when they bitch and expect the government to bail them out when they failed to follow recommendations and prepare to take care of themselves.
I completely agree with your opinion. I also shake my damn head pretty much daily on how dependent society is becoming on technology. All it will take is for the sun to be pointing our direction during one big solar flair and the paperless system we've become will leave us back in the dark ages. Most won't know how to function.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

My mom still has the same snow shovel I used when I was a kid, its an old coal scoop.