Snake skin identification help

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Last picture

My three amigos followed me into the woods. :cheesy:

BTW - the tree across the path is one of the ones that came down due to Hurricane Isabel.

Attachments

• 3 amigos_small.jpg
    3 amigos_small.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 140

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Cool! My kitties follow me (albeit stealthy) when I walk my dogs. The guy in the background looks just like my Forrest...hmmmn...where are my pictures and let's see if I can get all the crap off the the dang scanner.....

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cattitude
Dunno, Jazz. Looks like the ones we find in our yard all the time. We found one about 6 foot long a few years back. It was perfect...no tears, etc. The face was amazing. I'm sure the ones we find are from our black snakes. That's what these look like but I didn't see the head part on yours. Then again, I'm no snake expert either.

I figured it was most likely a black snake, but I haven't had many dealings with snakes closeup - well, at least the non-human variety.

In the first picture, the head is in the bottom left corner, but I didn't see any discernible features other than the shape of the head.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cattitude
The guy in the background looks just like my Forrest...
That one is Blaze - she's the oldest and is actually the second-cousin of the other two. The one on the log is Trixie and her brother Scooter is in the foreground. Scooter is almost twice the size of Trixie. Scooter and Blaze are about the same, although I think Scooter is just a tad bigger now.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
:yikes: That's what I was afraid of! Hurricane Isabel sucked up all the Black Mambas from Africa - the only continent they are found on btw - and deposited them in MY backyard! :yikes:

:duh:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Maybe you'd better start a new tread so everyone will be warned.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by jazz lady
:yikes: That's what I was afraid of! Hurricane Isabel sucked up all the Black Mambas from Africa - the only continent they are found on btw - and deposited them in MY backyard! :yikes:

:duh:

Thats just another wild theroy from kw, its a black snake skin, don't listen to her and don't waste another tread on it

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Walmart doesn't believe this one...

BROWNWOOD, Texas -- Police say a man was bitten by a rattlesnake while shopping for shoes in a Wal-Mart store in Texas.

Douglas Hatchett of Brownwood was examining shoes on a rack when a rattlesnake concealed behind a shoebox bit him Monday. The snake fell to the floor, where Hatchett stomped it to death.

Police, fire and emergency medical crews were called to the scene.

The 31-year-old shopper and the dead snake were hustled to Brownwood Regional Medical Center. There, the snake was confirmed as a rattler, and Hatchett was treated and released.

Wal-Mart officials say the matter's being investigated and they have no comment.

BROWNWOOD, Texas -- A Wal-Mart spokeswoman says a man's account of a rattlesnake bite doesn't add up.

Spokeswoman Sharon Webber says the company is still investigating the Monday incident at a Wal-Mart in Brownwood.

Douglas Hatchett says a two-foot rattler bit him in the hand when he reached for a pair of shoes on a store rack. He says the snake fell to the floor, where he stomped it to death.

Hatchett was taken to Brownwood Regional Medical Center, where he was treated with anti-venom and released.

A store official says police told him the snake didn't look freshly killed. Police still have the dead snake in a freezer, but the police chief says no investigation is planned.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Dosen't one of our southern states....

:confused: ....have a motto "Don't tread on me"?

But what I really want to know is: Do snakes vent?:rolleyes:

James White

Have a nuisance?Im 4 hire
ID

JazzLady

What you have there is a typical "Black Rat Snake " shed,
That is a nice clean shed to,If you still have it,and not broken ,Peopl over on taxidermy.com
will pay you some good cash for it.

By the way it is not poisionous,But they sure can bite like heck.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Yes. And that's all I'm going to say about that.
:confused: Oh no!! Wait just a minute!! You can't just jump in here, say that, and leave??!!

Doy stash ti masch te!!(Japanese- you can look it up)

"Do the females vent too??"

Or is it strictly a male thing?