So explain to me how this Obamacare crap works?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Here's how I understand it.

You go into the store, and you buy a soda and a pack of smokes. The cost of which is $9.25 (ish).

The cashier rings you up for one soda, a pack of smokes and for a tube of toothpaste, bringing your total up to $14.50(ish).

But you didn't ask for a tube of toothpaste. The cashier informs you that you are required to buy the toothpaste, on account'a it's good for you.

You refuse to buy the toothpaste.

The cashier informs you the sale is now $20.00, as a penalty for not buying the toothpaste.

You tell the cashier to go #### himself, and walk out.

As you walk out, the police tase you and haul your ass to jail.

You goddam racist.
Stealing this!!! :lmao:

awpitt

Main Streeter
If you're still under your dad's you can stay there until you're 26. Once you turn 26 you will either have to sign on to your company's plan (if they offer it) or go on your own. If you choose not to buy private insurance due to being too expensive you will have to sign up for one of the exchanges offered by the government. But the 'individual mandate' requires that you obtain health insurance or you will pay a 'tax penalty' (fine). I don't understand the exchanges that well but as I do understand they are priced according to your income. I don't know anything about what those plans cover, what the deductables are, or how they decide about providers...

I think the website Obama is directing folks to is: ObamaCare | Affordable Care Act Facts and Resource Information - Obamacare.com

The exchanges are not govt provided insurance. They just offer a way for people to buy private insurance with some sort of subsidy if they qualify.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Just said that if I want to opt out of company health insurance I would a 2 dollar raise. It's a genaric email because I'm not on company insurance I'm still covered under my dads.

Don't you have to be a full time student living at home to be covered by your parents or did that change too?

PsyOps

Pixelated
The exchanges are not govt provided insurance. They just offer a way for people to buy private insurance with some sort of subsidy if they qualify.

As far as I understand the exchanges, they may be government contracted insurance companies, but they are controlled by the government: who gets what level, how much, how your coverage is provided, etc... I'm sure Tilted will pop in here and clear this up though; he has a much better understanding of this than I do.

I guess it should be fairly obvious that if you can't get insurance through your company or privately, you have to go to the exchanges, which are provided by the government at some level; THEY (the government) will dictate the rules of who is covered and how. This ought to scare the living crap out of anyone that thing they are going to get fair coverage from the government.

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Don't you have to be a full time student living at home to be covered by your parents or did that change too?

That's the way it used to be. Obamacare changed that. Now, kids can stay on their parent's health insurance until age 26.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Seeing on TV that the website is giving an error message, I haven't tried to go to it. Who didn't see this coming?

Sparx

This is the dumbest place I can think of to ask a serious question. Especially one about a semi-controversial government program.

Toxick

Splat

Attachments

• 532088_495895323842429_1910852619_n.jpg
    532088_495895323842429_1910852619_n.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 93

PsyOps

Pixelated
This is the dumbest place I can think of to ask a serious question. Especially one about a semi-controversial government program.

Well, I happen to think this is dumbest place to claim this is the dumbest place to ask a serious question.

:smack:

MMDad

Lem Putt

Did your union get one of those exemptions? Would you love Obamacare so much if your hours were cut to 29? Or if your premium health plan was taxed as required by the law? Or if it was cut down to what non-extortionist (non-union) people are able to get?

So typical of you. As long as your perks are maintained, who cares about the rest of the country.

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!
This is what confuses me about the whole thing:

1. If you work for a company that offers insurance you are not permitted to join the health care offered? So yes, if I like my doctor, i can keep him/her. But if I choose to use the "exchange" I can't because I am not eligible.

2. The premise the program is built around the young paying more to offset the older folks healthcare costs. So the people that typically make less money pay more into it. So that means less money for them to live the American dream of owning their own home, saving money to start their own business, etc.

3. If you make too much money, you are not entitled to any "subsidies" so you end up paying more out of pocket. But if item #2 doesnt meet expectation, then costs go up even more.

4. Today the program penalizes smokers but up to 50%. Will obese folks be next? Diabetics? Those two groups increase healthcare costs with proven statistics. Who makes that decision, the government?

5. If my hours get cut and I am no longer given company insurance, I MUST join the program or pay a fine. It is proven the fines are cheaper than the insurance, where's the real penalty. The IRS will withhold any tax refund I get until paid?

6. What is so wrong with forcing members of Congress to live by the law? Why are they fighting it?

This is very confusing to say the least.

it would be cool to have a laymens breakdown. as i understand it, if you have a good plan now, you can keep it. young people should get health insurance BEFORE obomacare kicks in. they have this law where old people cant pay over 3 times what a young person pays. right now, in the world where the insurers decide the rates, its more like 5-8x as much. soo... for them to charge 1500mo for an old person, you MUST charge young people 500mo. (right now i pay 200). anyways, anyone have confirmation of my impression, or a better breakdown??

In theory you can keep it, but only if your provider continues to offer it. Your mileage will vary. Over time old plans may disappear, and in the short term premiums (or the share that employers pay) may be affected because of new requirements placed on those plans (even though they are, in some respects, grandfathered).

As for your next point about young people paying more, yeah, that's basically right.

If you're still under your dad's you can stay there until you're 26. Once you turn 26 you will either have to sign on to your company's plan (if they offer it) or go on your own. If you choose not to buy private insurance due to being too expensive you will have to sign up for one of the exchanges offered by the government. But the 'individual mandate' requires that you obtain health insurance or you will pay a 'tax penalty' (fine). I don't understand the exchanges that well but as I do understand they are priced according to your income. I don't know anything about what those plans cover, what the deductables are, or how they decide about providers...

I think the website Obama is directing folks to is: ObamaCare | Affordable Care Act Facts and Resource Information - Obamacare.com

As far as I understand the exchanges, they may be government contracted insurance companies, but they are controlled by the government: who gets what level, how much, how your coverage is provided, etc... I'm sure Tilted will pop in here and clear this up though; he has a much better understanding of this than I do.

I guess it should be fairly obvious that if you can't get insurance through your company or privately, you have to go to the exchanges, which are provided by the government at some level; THEY (the government) will dictate the rules of who is covered and how. This ought to scare the living crap out of anyone that thing they are going to get fair coverage from the government.

awpitt is right, the exchanges are where you buy private (individual or small group) coverage now, for the most part anyway.

They are, in essence, marketplaces set up by the states or the federal government where individuals looking for coverage can go to shop for and purchase coverage from private insurers. It's like the government owns the shopping mall, and that's where the private insurers go to offer their products to the masses.

And, yes, the government has created a lot of rules with regard to the coverage that can be sold through those marketplaces. What it has to cover, what the max for out-of-pocket expenses can be, who has to be accepted for coverage, who can be charged more, etcetera. If a coverage plan doesn't meet the requirements, it can't be sold there.