So I’m wondering, is it time?

NextJen

Raisin cane
Just a thought about how amazing animals are. My Boston Terrier, Autumn, stuck close by the whole time, watching over her brother. She sat right by my side as I was petting Jaeger as he was drifting off. As soon as he was gone, she climbed over me and laid down on the floor on my other side looking away from him. She knew. 💔

ontheriver

Just a thought about how amazing animals are. My Boston Terrier, Autumn, stuck close by the whole time, watching over her brother. She sat right by my side as I was petting Jaeger as he was drifting off. As soon as he was gone, she climbed over me and laid down on the floor on my other side looking away from him. She knew. 💔
Heartbreaking. Sorry for your loss.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Today I said goodbye to my little buddy, Jaeger. Man, I’m an ugly crier.
As emotional as it was, I was so happy I contacted Lap of Love. Dr Alina was fantastic and so caring. So glad he got to go peacefully here at home with me and his sister Autumn by his side.
I am so sorry. You did the right thing, Jen.

I debated posted this, but this is my story to tell, and I hope it helps anyone struggling in this decision.

Last year, our JRT was going downhill about this time of the year. I felt her quality of life was just awful, but my husband thought because she ate, she was good but frankly, that is all she did. She would eat, sleep and suffer from incontinence daily. With the eating, he had to do a lot of playing around to get her to eat by changing foods, etc. We had so many tests run and all they could say was she was where she should be. 13-16 years is life expectancy for a JRT and when you hear of a JRT living beyond that, they are always male. Our girl had just turned 17-years-old. I could see the misery in her face every day. She would sit up and you could tell she was dizzy/shaking, sick, and generally miserable. She was deaf and legally blind. She stubbled often on her back gate, falling, so she had to be pulled around in a wagon to enjoy the outside, which she really didn't. She wasn't able to use stairs no more. I was ready to let her go, but my husband was not. We had a rough summer of touch and go, and I won't deny, an escalation between our difference of opinion. Our vet said that we were at a stage where we had to decide how much we wanted to tolerate and how much we would let her tolerate. Finally, in mid-Oct we had an emergency that resulted in a rush visit to the vet and her being put down.

You did the right thing. The thing I wanted to do in our own home. As a consolation prize, I did get to bring her dead body home, allow my other pets to visit her and bury her.

It is much easier to plan this, and I will forever hate that her last moments with us were gasping for air, after a night of seizures, and ended on a cold examination table at the vet's office. :(

Last edited:

Louise

I am so sorry. You did the right thing, Jen.

I debated posted this, but this is my story to tell, and I hope it helps anyone struggling in this decision.

Last year, our JRT was going downhill about this time of the year. I felt her quality of life was just awful, but my husband thought because she ate, she was good but frankly, that is all she did. She would eat, sleep and suffer from incontinence daily. With the eating, he had to do a lot of playing around to get her to eat by changing foods, etc. We had so many tests run and all they could say was she was where she should be. 13-16 years is life expectancy for a JRT and when you hear of a JRT living beyond that, they are always male. Our girl had just turned 17-years-old. I could see the misery in her face every day. She would sit up and you could tell she was dizzy/shaking, sick, and generally miserable. She was deaf and legally blind. She stubbled often on her back gate, falling, so she had to be pulled around in a wagon to enjoy the outside, which she really didn't. She wasn't able to use stairs no more. I was ready to let her go, but my husband was not. We had a rough summer of touch and go, and I won't deny, an escalation between our difference of opinion. Our vet said that we were at a stage where we had to decide how much we wanted to tolerate and how much we would let her tolerate. Finally, in mid-Oct we had an emergency that resulted in a rush visit to the vet and her being put down.

You did the right thing. The thing I wanted to do in our own home. As a consolation prize, I did get to bring her dead body home, allow my other pets to visit her and bury her.

It is much easier to plan this, and I will forever hate that her last moments with us were gasping for air, after a night of seizures, and ended on a cold examination table at the vet's office. :(
:huggy:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Eyes were misting up at your first post about Jaeger drifting away.
This bit got tears rolling down.

They do know. These almost 4 1/2 years later, I know Mr. Cooper misses Teia.
She was his courage coach.

Last edited:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
It was a very hard day that day and another thing I should mention for consideration with anyone facing this decision is this...

My dog's incident happened early on Saturday morning (started at 2 a.m.). My husband was a mess that morning, so I had to take care of the phone calls. Our vet only took us in that Saturday because we were established there. I had called and was put on hold for about 5 minutes while a vet reviewed her file. They scheduled it for the last appointment of the morning cramming us into an already booked schedule. Otherwise, we would have had to go to an emergency vet hospital further away. When you call these services to come out to your house, they don't come out straight away. I would say have a plan and if you don't schedule this in advance, you may be in an emergency situation. You may have to sit with a pet in distress for hours. I did. I think these services that come to your home are wonderful and scheduling a visit in your home is an act of love.

Jen, I really feel you did the most honorable thing for your pup. :huggy:

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
dogs.jpg

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Today I said goodbye to my little buddy, Jaeger. Man, I’m an ugly crier.
As emotional as it was, I was so happy I contacted Lap of Love. Dr Alina was fantastic and so caring. So glad he got to go peacefully here at home with me and his sister Autumn by his side.
So sorry, Jen :huggy:

eric14

It is hard to depart, and breaks our heart, but we gave them the best life ever.
Unfortunately that's all you can do basically. Had to have a 13 year old Jack Russell euthanized after being diagnosed with heart failure at least 8 months prior. I recall my grandparents' german sherphard living to 17 years old before it died.

It's a shame dogs just don't live as long as humans. For some reason I can't really figure it out but it's always heartbreaking when a dog dies; what gives? Is it because it could be like losing your more beloved warrior?