So Maryland should have a choice besides SMECO

dawn

You know I try to budget for my electric bill the best I can, but sometimes, you get bit in the azz out of nowhere....for instance, my current bill which I just received this week.....

shows I jused 4468 Kwh, my billing period is for 34 days from 11/25/08 to 12/29/08 my charges show as follows

Energy Charge 4468 kWh x $01124 totals 502.20
Power Cost Adj-Energy 4468 kWh x 0.006843 totals 30.57

Distribution charges total

then we have the regulatory state and local taxes which brings my bill grand total to a mere $682.05 ....

SMECO will not work with me except to give me a grace of 15 days past my due date to pay the complete balance.

So while I can understand setting a budget which we do, our normal bill is between 300 and 350, but ...sometimes, things are unexpected, as this bill was, so it can happen. :frown:

Josimmon

I have a friend that works for SMECO main office I was told SMECO was making a hell of a lot of money and is rakeing over the public and they was made to spend millions before the year end.This is why we need a choice besides a wind mill or solar power.

Since SMECO is a non-profit, I find this very hard to believe. If you think you can improve the company, why arn't you on their board? How many meetings have you attended? Have you called to speak to the CEO to voice your opinion and confront him with the "proof" from your friend? Also, you do know you can choose BG & E or Pepco if you want.

Velocity26

Does anyone ever have a choice of their electric company? I never did in any of the places I lived (and, btw, SMECO is pretty cheap compared to NY and Phila and Baltimore)
Yes, look up deregulation.

You know I try to budget for my electric bill the best I can, but sometimes, you get bit in the azz out of nowhere....for instance, my current bill which I just received this week.....

shows I jused 4468 Kwh, my billing period is for 34 days from 11/25/08 to 12/29/08 my charges show as follows

then we have the regulatory state and local taxes which brings my bill grand total to a mere $682.05 ....

SMECO will not work with me except to give me a grace of 15 days past my due date to pay the complete balance.

So while I can understand setting a budget which we do, our normal bill is between 300 and 350, but ...sometimes, things are unexpected, as this bill was, so it can happen. :frown:
SMECO has an even monthly payment program. You pay the same amount every month. You should sign up.

Also, that's a lot of usage. How big is your house?

jetmonkey

You growing weed over there?

W

Wenchy

Since SMECO is a non-profit, I find this very hard to believe. If you think you can improve the company, why arn't you on their board? How many meetings have you attended? Have you called to speak to the CEO to voice your opinion and confront him with the "proof" from your friend? Also, you do know you can choose BG & E or Pepco if you want.

Really, we can choose another electric company here?

On the Eastern Shore we only have one choice and are screwed if we want electric.

When the electric is more than the mortgage you realize you're screwed.

When the property taxes exceed your mortgage payment you know you are royally screwed.

When you pay 10K a year for health insurance and have to pay 2K out of pocket for an elective procedure...well, that's a double-dutch screw.

God Bless America...HAHA.

Otter

Nothing to see here
I have a friend that works for SMECO main office I was told SMECO was making a hell of a lot of money and is rakeing over the public and they was made to spend millions before the year end.This is why we need a choice besides a wind mill or solar power.

Well, my best friends aunt's best friends next door neighbor said that wasn't so.

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !

This is not even funny and no we can't choose in St. Mary's. What I am saying is people have kids in the homes and when SMECO cut off power the adult heats with whatever means necessary this makes a danger for the firefighters as well as the public.SMECO needs to stop being greedy.

jetmonkey

This is not even funny and no we can't choose in St. Mary's. What I am saying is people have kids in the homes and when SMECO cut off power the adult heats with whatever means necessary this makes a danger for the firefighters as well as the public.SMECO needs to stop being greedy.

approves

Attachments

• darwin.jpg
    darwin.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 76

jetmonkey

p.s. i really hope dumb dumb wasn't heating his house with candles, lols

dawn

Yes, look up deregulation.

SMECO has an even monthly payment program. You pay the same amount every month. You should sign up.

Also, that's a lot of usage. How big is your house?

I thought about getting on the plan, but I didnt want to get a 1000.00 at the end of them year because I had underpaid all year. I know its alot of usage, I just about freaked out.

In a nutshell---two years ago this happened as well for three months straight Dec, Jan and Feb our bill was between 900 and 1100 each of those months. We did alot of adding on to the house, we went from 1400 to 3200 sq feet. it was dismissed as we used alot of electric because we doubled the house size, it was cold, had people over for the holidays, etc.....

Turned out after the February bill, I called someone that came out and check and we had blown a fuse in the heat pump..... problem fixed

This year it started creeping up a little by little, nothing big until we got our July bill in August. It was around 600. Our well pump went out on us in Septmeber and the guy that fixed it said that could have been a reason our electric bill jumped because the well pump only worked at half speed or something like that. Well our bill did go back down until this bill.

We have had our christmas lights running all night as well as the inflatable blow up things in the yard and that is the only thing I can think ran more electric than normal so I have no clue what made it jump like it did.

You growing weed over there?

:killingme No -- I am very anti-drug!

I am looking at my bill -- we average

dec 08

Nov 08

Oct 08

Sept 08

Aug 08

July 08

June 08

:shrug:

Velocity26

I thought about getting on the plan, but I didnt want to get a 1000.00 at the end of them year because I had underpaid all year. I know its alot of usage, I just about freaked out.

In a nutshell---two years ago this happened as well for three months straight Dec, Jan and Feb our bill was between 900 and 1100 each of those months. We did alot of adding on to the house, we went from 1400 to 3200 sq feet. it was dismissed as we used alot of electric because we doubled the house size, it was cold, had people over for the holidays, etc.....

Turned out after the February bill, I called someone that came out and check and we had blown a fuse in the heat pump..... problem fixed

This year it started creeping up a little by little, nothing big until we got our July bill in August. It was around 600. Our well pump went out on us in Septmeber and the guy that fixed it said that could have been a reason our electric bill jumped because the well pump only worked at half speed or something like that. Well our bill did go back down until this bill.

We have had our christmas lights running all night as well as the inflatable blow up things in the yard and that is the only thing I can think ran more electric than normal so I have no clue what made it jump like it did.

:killingme No -- I am very anti-drug!

I am looking at my bill -- we average

dec 08

Nov 08

Oct 08

Sept 08

Aug 08

July 08

June 08

:shrug:

Something is whacky. That's a LOT of usage!!! How old is your HVAC system?

On the monthly plan, they do not hit you with a big bill. They moniter your average and after a year raise or lower the monthly amount by a small amount.

At one point, I had an $1,100.00 credit with them and the lowered my avg. from $265.00 to $165.00.