So Md UMCs

Lukin

We're new to the area and I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone who attends or has attended one of the local united methodist churches. Specifically, I'm interested in Lexington Park UMC, Hollywood UMC, or St Paul's UMC. Approx. how large is the congregation? What kind of programs do they have for music, community, etc.? How's the preaching (deep, shallow, helpful)?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
You should probably devote a Sunday for each church, to decide what you like best. I've always attended Methodist churches, and from my experience, you can pretty much expect the same from each church as far as the sermon. The people make the church, and some churches have different demographics. Best to find out for yourself. :yay:

suzeQ

Occasional User
Actually between those three, there are a lot of differences. Many people have become upset with one of the churches, for one reason or another, and moved to another one. I would guess each of them has both gained and lost membership, for one reason or another. The Lex Park church recently started a third Sunday morning service, to try to accomodate all styles. The Leonardtown one has a very contemporary service on Saturday nights. I'm not as familiar with Hollywood, but from what I understand, it hasn't made as many changes over the years. Good advice to check them all out and see which one suits your style. Good luck.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I attend the St Pauls UMC in Lusby(H.G Trueman Rd/Cove Point Rd), I like the traditional service at 11:00am. We have a Choir too! Other services at 8:15 and 9:45am.

Activities? You name it, they have it. From Bible Studies to Weds Evening Dinners, Youth Groups, Womens/Mens Groups, Boy Scouts, Singles Get Togethers, etc.

http://StPaul-Lusby.com
410-326-4475

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I don't have too much info., but we started at Lex. Park UMC a few mos. ago and have loved it. The Pastor is great and we can always incorporate his sermons into our real lives. Their website seems to be down at the moment, but here is the link - there's tons of info. here:

http://www.lpumchurch.org/

watercolor

yeah yeah
I go to St Pauls UMC in leonardtown. Yes, as suzeQ said, we have a contemporary service on saturdays called the RO4C. Meaning Reaching Out 4 Christ. Igneous is the band that plays. We chose that name because of the defintion: Fire rock. We are on fire for jesus, and we obviously like to rock. ou will hear christian hits from the radio, along with jazzed up versions of old favorites, and even some that have been written by members of the band and church. The Ro4c was created for those who wanted a very upbeat service, and something different from the "traditional" services... not to mention for people who are not morning people and would rather come to an evening service. Granted, we have a mix of everyone. Young families, alot of the 20-somethings, older members, and singles. Very laid back service. Everyone is in jeans and tshirts, or khaki's. Nothing dressy or anything. It can get loud and such. We also co communion at this service every saturday. Baptisims and dedications happen at this service also. They also have childrens roc, where they go and do their own thing after all the singing is done. We are also opening our coffee house back up in the new year. Coffees, goodies, etc, along with great discusions and such.

We are always looking for people to help with the band, or tech, run sound or greeters, or whatever. Lots of opportunities with the roc. I talk about this one alot, because I am part of it- so I can give you alot of info on it.

Nursery is avail. for that service also. here is our section on the website.. http://www.stpauls-umc.com/RO4C.htm

The congregation as a whole is over 600+. Hence the reason for the different services to appeal to different people.

sunday services:

8:05 - Traditional Liturgical- hymns and choir. Very traditional. Pastor is in full dress. By the book. This is generally also, where the older members like to attend. Also, people who like to go to a service that is like a bible study, attend this one.

9:05 - Contemporary Praise- A light band with acoustic guitars, keyboards and singers. Lively music. Film clips and other shorts are sometimes shown. Alot of the baptisims and dedications are done at this service along with the saturday service. This service is generally very full. Alot of the younger group and

9:05 - Children’s Promiseland:a curriculum that utilizes both large and small group settings, drama, music and small group discussion for children. Crafts, and having fun. It’s combination of drama, contemporary music, and small group discussions make this “The best hour of every kid’s week.”

10:30 - Contemporary Praise. Alot like the 9:05 service, but alot more family oriented. The baptisims and dedications have been known to happen at this service also- but more so at the 9:05. Very laid back.

10:30 – FaithWeaver: St. Paul’s traditional children’s Sunday school curriculum

We also have the St. Paul's Players. Which is a community theatre. Who do various skits and small plays at services throughout the year. Not to mention that we do 2 productions a year (well starting to do 2 a year now). Just this past late spring, we did "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. It was a great show. Full productions with lights, sound and set crews. Pretty fun stuff. Always need actors and people with various talents.

Youth youth grades 6-12...
We also have a very well known and awesome Youth program. Crosswalk Youth. Linda Schaffer helps to head that, along with a great group of other people. Lots of awesome get togethers, mission trips and other great things.

Seniors
Young at Heart program. Their small group 1##st and 3rd Wednesdays, 10-11:30am, Room 12.

We also do VBC every year. New themes and a crazy time of fun every year! Last year it was a safari.. which made it fun for the RO4C- the entire sanctuary gets turned into the themes for the VBC.

Also we have the Little Seedlings Christian Preschool. Here is a copy of what it says on the website:

We’re “growing the seeds of our future” in our three and four year old programs. Threes meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the fours on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays, from 9:30am to 12:00pm. We also have a combined three/four class on Monday through Thursday from 12:30pm to 3:00pm. Using a Christ-centered curriculum, children learn Bible stories through songs, crafts, and drama. Emphasis is on basic colors and shapes, as well as on letters and numbers. Children explore various centers around the room -make believe, artist’s loft, computers and books, discovery science, and block building. There are also local field trips throughout the year, and special celebrations. Feel free to visit or contact us at any time at 301-475-5050.

Lots of other programs, such as Moms day out, loaves and fishes, soup kitchen, lenords freehold reading room, etc etc. We also have various things for the holidays- such as a huge cantata, and crazy christmas eve sermons and such.

Here is the website for St. Pauls.. its under construction- but there is stuff on there that will show you the jist of everything... http://www.stpauls-umc.com/

For me and my husband, we were looking for a place that we felt comfortable and such when we attended at least 2 services. This place did it for us. Everyone was VERY welcoming. Took interest in getting to know us and all. Also, we were looking for a place, that had strong values and strong areas of mercy and ministry. Something we could feel a part of and make a difference. We have found that here... but wherever you decide to go, I hope you find a home church you adore.

Last edited: