So Much Winning .... TRUMP BREAKS NFL

Hijinx

Why do you need to deliberately make yourself look foolish. Why are you so angry that you need to try to take my words out of context and twist them to create more fake news
If you have a problem with my position defend your position. These stupid gotcha games are beneath me and I won't engage

It is clear from what I wrote that I meant Trumps involvement which has magnified the issue 10X. As i have stated I support the players and their right to free speech.

Yes: You are a true Jock supporter.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Trump, ever the savvy marketer, does. In the aftermath of Trump’s comments, as his approval numbers rose (particularly among his base), the NFL’s numbers went down.

League numbers-crunchers combed through the data and discovered that despite some ratings improvements in recent weeks, game viewership is still way off compared to last year. Even worse, I am told, the league believes the social-media boycott by NFL viewers, angered by the disrespect they feel was not only directed at the flag and anthem but tacitly approved by the league, has the potential to grow exponentially if the NFL doesn’t make this issue go away.

As one NFL marketing executive told me: “All the data show that football fans are tired of being inundated with politics in a place they would like a reprieve from politics.”

Trump knew all this intuitively weeks before the NFL genius quants had any idea what was going on, and he outwitted some of the smartest people in the business.

He couldn’t have done this, though, without Roger Goodell, a good businessman with a PC blind spot. Example: The Dallas Cowboys wanted to honor five cops who were killed by a racist madman with decals on their uniforms. The NFL said no — it violated a decal policy.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/11/the-nfl-just-admitted-trump-knows-the-fans-better-than-it-does/

nutz

Truth.

Too bad people are so easily distracted by shiny objects to understand that.

The whole thing is a farce meant to distract from the even bigger farce that is Trumps presidency. He is a canny media manipulator i will give him that

Damn him, trying to prop up his country like that against your wishes.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I couldn't decide where to put this because there are so many threads on this kneeling issue. Apparently, Goodell is speaking out about issues. And, all he kept saying was issues, issues, issues without explanation. Well, shouldn't we have an issue that he makes 40 mil a year? Just asking.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Sliding NFL ratings could deliver hit to TV networks

The NFL's declining TV ratings, blamed by some on the national anthem controversy, could soon take a financial toll on the broadcasters that have spent tens of billions dollars for the right to air pro football, investment analysts say.

Through the first five weeks of the season, ratings for the Sunday night game on 21st Century Fox's (FOXA) Fox Sports have slumped 7 percent from a year ago. NFL viewership at CBS (CBS), the parent company of CBSNews.com, has plunged 17 percent for Sunday match-ups and 8 percent on Thursday. The audience for "Football Night in America," which is shown Sundays on Comcast's (CMCSA) NBC, is down 7 percent, while the network's Thursday night football broadcast is off 16.3 percent.

ESPN's "Monday Night Football" is bucking the trend, posting a 6 percent gain for the season to date. The sports cable network is owned by Disney (DIS).

"Probably it's a little early to use the word 'worry,' but at this point I think it's something that deserves close attention," said Tuna Amobi, an analyst with CFRA who follows the media sector. "To have now two consecutive years of declines in NFL ratings -- that is something that begs a lot of questions … and could have significant financial implications for the ratings."

Despite the ratings slump, the NFL remains by far the most popular U.S. sport. Since the start of the season, 17 of the top 20 shows on TV have been NFL games.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Hunting, fishing, shooting, hiking, car show, cook-outs, a warm water beach... All better ways to spend a Sunday.

Hijinx

Hunting, fishing, shooting, hiking, car show, cook-outs, a warm water beach... All better ways to spend a Sunday.

Cutting the grass is a better way.
But when the grass stops there are always leaves to be raked.
Honey Do's to be done.
Go out in the garage and makes something that can be sold at the Church bazaar.

Toxick

Splat
The NFL's declining TV ratings, blamed by some on the national anthem controversy,

IMO, the NFL has been sliding downhill for a while. I don't think the anthem controversy is only to blame, but I would suggest that it's probably pushing it over the edge. The straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

They've been "pussifying" the league for a while now. They're headed more and more toward flag-football.

It's slowly turning into "The Sunday Referee Show". Goddamn referees are on TV more than players it seems like.

They're draining all the fun out of it. It used to be players could celebrate. And sometimes they would dance or perform little shows when they scored. Sure that kind of thing is not for everyone, but it was fun. (Also ... where's all the talk about The First Amendment when it comes to expressing yourself in the endzone?)

Did I mention that referees are on TV too goddamn much?

Speaking of referees, I honest-to-God believe that referees are directed to allow larger-market teams to get away with more, and be stricter on the smaller-market teams, so that New England, Pittsburg, NY, etc. do better, ensuring bigger numbers during playoffs and the Almighty Superbowl.

It's too commercialized. I know that sounds ridiculous - but overcommercialization is a turn-off for a lot of people. How many people now discuss the Commercials of the Superbowl more than the Superbowl itself?

Now they wanna throw politics and protests and disrespect of the customer's Nation on top of all that?

Midnightrider

IMO, the NFL has been sliding downhill for a while. I don't think the anthem controversy is only to blame, but I would suggest that it's probably pushing it over the edge. The straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

They've been "pussifying" the league for a while now. They're headed more and more toward flag-football.

It's slowly turning into "The Sunday Referee Show". Goddamn referees are on TV more than players it seems like.

They're draining all the fun out of it. It used to be players could celebrate. And sometimes they would dance or perform little shows when they scored. Sure that kind of thing is not for everyone, but it was fun. (Also ... where's all the talk about The First Amendment when it comes to expressing yourself in the endzone?)

Did I mention that referees are on TV too goddamn much?

Speaking of referees, I honest-to-God believe that referees are directed to allow larger-market teams to get away with more, and be stricter on the smaller-market teams, so that New England, Pittsburg, NY, etc. do better, ensuring bigger numbers during playoffs and the Almighty Superbowl.

It's too commercialized. I know that sounds ridiculous - but overcommercialization is a turn-off for a lot of people. How many people now discuss the Commercials of the Superbowl more than the Superbowl itself?

Now they wanna throw politics and protests and disrespect of the customer's Nation on top of all that?

There is a lot of truth to what you just said. The decline started long ago. I think the nfl will weather the storm, but they don’t want to put off too many more viewers.
One thing you didn’t mention is that games are in 3 night a week, 4 in the later season, and 3 times on Sunday. It’s kind of lost it’s ‘must see tv’ quality by over saturating the market. I often forget there is a game on Thursday night and Monday night football isn’t at all special like it used to be

Toxick

Splat
There is a lot of truth to what you just said. The decline started long ago. I think the nfl will weather the storm, but they don’t want to put off too many more viewers.
One thing you didn’t mention is that games are in 3 night a week, 4 in the later season, and 3 times on Sunday. It’s kind of lost it’s ‘must see tv’ quality by over saturating the market. I often forget there is a game on Thursday night and Monday night football isn’t at all special like it used to be

Adding a highly commercialized, but ultimately worthless preseason is an extension of that. You now have an extra 4 weeks of games, which mean nothing, but everyone gobbles them up because.... FOOTBALL. It's just diluting it more and more.

Hijinx

The commercials are better than the games.

Midnightrider

Adding a highly commercialized, but ultimately worthless preseason is an extension of that. You now have an extra 4 weeks of games, which mean nothing, but everyone gobbles them up because.... FOOTBALL. It's just diluting it more and more.
Preseason is hated by season ticket holders and so many complained that the NFL reduced the price of preseason tickets. Of course they added to the regular season ticket cost at the same time so your total package still costs the same. They screwed anyone who donates their preseason tickets to charities out of a sizable deduction

Toxick

Splat
Preseason is hated by season ticket holders and so many complained that the NFL reduced the price of preseason tickets. Of course they added to the regular season ticket cost at the same time so your total package still costs the same. They screwed anyone who donates their preseason tickets to charities out of a sizable deduction

Wow. I didn't know that.

That's going down in history as one of the biggest dick moves ever.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
NFL HELL: Several Stadiums Nearly Empty As Anthem Protest Backlash Rolls Into Week 7 (PHOTOS)

If the NFL thought Americans would ease the backlash against the league — they were sadly mistaken. Photos of empty stadiums from around the league show how dire a situation kneelers have spurred. Stadiums were nearly empty in Week 6, as well.

Breitbart News reports:

Note, that the Jets played New England on Sunday, meaning there should have been a big crowd for that game. The Texans, Atlanta, and Baltimore are also very relevant teams with relatively loyal fan bases. Yet, thousands upon thousands of fans no-showed or didn’t buy tickets for those games.

Midnightrider

Wow. I didn't know that.

That's going down in history as one of the biggest dick moves ever.

Yep, Bruce Allen told me personally that they did it so I could recoup more of my money when I resell my tickets. I told him that I go to all the games and a big part of the redskins problem is that they encourage resale through stubhub.

Midnightrider

NFL HELL: Several Stadiums Nearly Empty As Anthem Protest Backlash Rolls Into Week 7 (PHOTOS)

If the NFL thought Americans would ease the backlash against the league — they were sadly mistaken. Photos of empty stadiums from around the league show how dire a situation kneelers have spurred. Stadiums were nearly empty in Week 6, as well.

Breitbart News reports:

Note, that the Jets played New England on Sunday, meaning there should have been a big crowd for that game. The Texans, Atlanta, and Baltimore are also very relevant teams with relatively loyal fan bases. Yet, thousands upon thousands of fans no-showed or didn’t buy tickets for those games.

Looks like those pics were taken at kickoff. NFL stadiums are never full at kick off. 1/3 of the people don’t even get to the stadium until then. A better representation would be mid 2nd quarter or mid 3rd.....