So WHAT?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsa...1567_RTRUKOC_0_US-USA-UGLY.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

"We are seen as loud, arrogant and completely self-absorbed," said Reinhard, chairman emeritus of the advertising agency DDB Worldwide. "People see in us the ultimate arrogance -- assuming that everybody wants to be like us."
I think we have a right to be arrogant, considering we fund practically the whole entire world. If other countries think we suck, then they should quit buying OUR jeans, quit eating OUR fast food, get their butts off of OUR internet, stop salivating over OUR celebrities and, last but not least, stop accepting OUR foreign aid.

The nerve.

Somdmommy

:Jeepin' in NC:
vraiblonde said:
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsa...1567_RTRUKOC_0_US-USA-UGLY.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

I think we have a right to be arrogant, considering we fund practically the whole entire world. If other countries think we suck, then they should quit buying OUR jeans, quit eating OUR fast food, get their butts off of OUR internet, stop salivating over OUR celebrities and, last but not least, stop accepting OUR foreign aid.

The nerve.
:yeahthat:

:yay:

That is the most iditotic thing I have ever read!!! :smack:

Last edited:

dck4shrt

vraiblonde said:

The nerve.

They're not buying 'our' jeans or 'our' fast food. They are buying large multinational corporations goods and services, most of which simply happened to be founded and based in the US. It's not our internet. Europeans and Asians have their own sites and their own equipment. They're not our celebrities, either. They are just individuals (being pimped by corporations) who are trying to make as much money as possible by getting their faces in front of as many people as possible, regardless of what country it happens to be in.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
dck4shrt said:
They're not buying 'our' jeans or 'our' fast food. They are buying large multinational corporations goods and services, most of which simply happened to be founded and based in the US. It's not our internet. Europeans and Asians have their own sites and their own equipment. They're not our celebrities, either. They are just individuals (being pimped by corporations) who are trying to make as much money as possible by getting their faces in front of as many people as possible, regardless of what country it happens to be in.
But the fact of the matter is that none of those things would be possible without the US. Foreigners have a fetish for American products, from goods to people. American movies do well overseas - when was the last time you saw a French film? American television does well overseas - when was the last time you watched a South African sitcom? Or ate at a falafel joint? Or wore black market Russian jeans?

The US is KING. We are everything. And if other countries don't like it, they can feel free to show their displeasure by boycotting our goods. But we all know they're not going to do that because what they really want is to sit on their asses and ##### while they watch "Desperate Housewives"

Which means they're not so different from us after all, so they should shut the hell up.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And another thing:

Gwyneth, Johnny and Madonna have decided to not be hypocrites and have taken up residence in other countries besides the one they loathe so much. But you can't say "they put their money where their mouth is" because guess where they come when they need to make a buck or two?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I guess we could be excused...

"We are seen as loud, arrogant and completely self-absorbed," said Reinhard, chairman emeritus of the advertising agency DDB Worldwide. "People see in us the ultimate arrogance -- assuming that everybody wants to be like us."

...for thinking everyone wants to be free because they keep coming here.

For the rest, how about we be humble and quit thinking you owe us for all we do around the globe and you be humble and quit asking for our money and for all we do around the globe.

dck4shrt

vraiblonde said:
But the fact of the matter is that none of those things would be possible without the US. Foreigners have a fetish for American products, from goods to people. American movies do well overseas - when was the last time you saw a French film? American television does well overseas - when was the last time you watched a South African sitcom? Or ate at a falafel joint? Or wore black market Russian jeans?

The US is KING. We are everything. And if other countries don't like it, they can feel free to show their displeasure by boycotting our goods. But we all know they're not going to do that because what they really want is to sit on their asses and ##### while they watch "Desperate Housewives"

Which means they're not so different from us after all, so they should shut the hell up.

I just don't understand what buying goods and services, following individual celebrities, or watching a movie made by Paramount has to do with having beef with American policies or having difficulties seeing eye-to-eye with American visitors or businessmen who are presumably insensitive to their culture?

And how would a boycott of 'our' goods change anything? Should they ask the UN for economic sanctions on us because we talk too loud in their cafes?

dck4shrt

Larry Gude said:
...for thinking everyone wants to be free because they keep coming here.

For the rest, how about we be humble and quit thinking you owe us for all we do around the globe and you be humble and quit asking for our money and for all we do around the globe.

As if everything we do around the globe is out of complete altruism?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
dck4shrt said:
I just don't understand what buying goods and services, following individual celebrities, or watching a movie made by Paramount has to do with having beef with American policies or having difficulties seeing eye-to-eye with American visitors or businessmen who are presumably insensitive to their culture?
Because if it weren't for our American policies and our American business men, those people wouldn't have a pot to piss in. Don't bite the hand that feeds you - simple logic.

And they have no right to complain that we're "insensitive to their culture" because if they even HAD a culture, they wouldn't be rushing to buy AMERICAN products, now would they? They'd stick with their own homegrown whatever and like it.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
vraiblonde said:

Yep all of these american products. Made overseas.

You know, these things would have been invented even if ther had not been a US. Quite frankly, I find the arrogance annoying.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bustem' Down said:
Yep all of these american products. Made overseas.
See there? We EMPLOY the world, too!

If they hate us so much, they should tell us to stuff our jobs, stuff our movies, stuff our food - stuff it all. Live on what you can produce in your own country and be happy that you no longer have to be tainted by the evil USofA.

Be brave, little soldiers - boycott American products. Show us how much you REALLY hate us!

dck4shrt

vraiblonde said:
Because if it weren't for our American policies and our American business men, those people wouldn't have a pot to piss in. Don't bite the hand that feeds you - simple logic.

And they have no right to complain that we're "insensitive to their culture" because if they even HAD a culture, they wouldn't be rushing to buy AMERICAN products, now would they? They'd stick with their own homegrown whatever and like it.

First, American businesmen and corporations are profiting tremendously from overseas business. They make more money over there than they do here.
Second, Our economy would be much much smaller right now if we didn't have foreign investment in our stock markets and our T-Bills (China buys more T-Bills than our own citizens do!).

B

Bruzilla

dck4shrt said:
They're not buying 'our' jeans or 'our' fast food. They are buying large multinational corporations goods and services, most of which simply happened to be founded and based in the US.

So... there I was... a much younger, lighter, and more innocent little Bruzilla, taking in the sights in Red Square with my grandma (who took us on the trip in 1976) and my parental units. There I was... gazing at the billowing red flags and portraits of Lenin everywhere, and seeing all of us carefully observed by the three state security people in their green uniforms walking about the area.

And everytime the eyes of the security people weren't focused on us we were getting bum rushed by the locals. "Hey, you got any Juicy Fruit? You got any gum... any gum? You got jeans? Levis? Any jeans? I pay! I pay big dollar! You trade? I trade good materials for gum and jeans American tovarich!"

But amazingly I can't remember any Soviets coming up to me asking "hey fat American boy... you got stock? Stock in Levis or General Foods? Any stock? I pay good for preferred stock!"

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
vraiblonde said:
See there? We EMPLOY the world, too!

If they hate us so much, they should tell us to stuff our jobs, stuff our movies, stuff our food - stuff it all. Live on what you can produce in your own country and be happy that you no longer have to be tainted by the evil USofA.

Be brave, little soldiers - boycott American products. Show us how much you REALLY hate us!
And we should stop buying overseas products, vehicles, oil, etc, etc. It's a world economy Vrai, it's not that simple.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
dck4shrt said:
(China buys more T-Bills than our own citizens do!).
Well, maybe if we weren't taxed out the yang so the US can do condom drops in Africa and fight genocide around the globe, WE could afford to buy T-Bills, too! :jet: