So WHAT?

dck4shrt

Bruzilla said:
So... there I was... a much younger, lighter, and more innocent little Bruzilla, taking in the sights in Red Square with my grandma (who took us on the trip in 1976) and my parental units. There I was... gazing at the billowing red flags and portraits of Lenin everywhere, and seeing all of us carefully observed by the three state security people in their green uniforms walking about the area.

And everytime the eyes of the security people weren't focused on us we were getting bum rushed by the locals. "Hey, you got any Juicy Fruit? You got any gum... any gum? You got jeans? Levis? Any jeans? I pay! I pay big dollar! You trade? I trade good materials for gum and jeans American tovarich!"

But amazingly I can't remember any Soviets coming up to me asking "hey fat American boy... you got stock? Stock in Levis or General Foods? Any stock? I pay good for preferred stock!"

Sounds like a nice trip. And an interesting place to see at an interesting time.

I'll say it again, American companies don't owe anything to us. If they can find a market for their goods and services they'll exploit it and profit from it. Those profits will then in turn benefit shareholders who may live in Illinois or the UAE.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
vraiblonde said:
Well, maybe if we weren't taxed out the yang so the US can do condom drops in Africa and fight genocide around the globe, WE could afford to buy T-Bills, too! :jet:
I didn't want to go fight genocide in the first place, but then it's never my decision.

dck4shrt

vraiblonde said:
Well, maybe if we weren't taxed out the yang so the US can do condom drops in Africa and fight genocide around the globe, WE could afford to buy T-Bills, too! :jet:

Call your representatives and tell them to stop spending money on those things then. Presumably we can/will benefit from those expenses. For example, a stable, healthy Africa equates a HUGE untapped market...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
dck4shrt said:
Call your representatives and tell them to stop spending money on those things then.
I do but they don't listen to me. All they want to talk about is "helping" Darfur and stupid crap like that.

For example, a stable, healthy Africa equates a HUGE untapped market...
Not for us because we never take advantage of it. The first time we try to get some of our investment back, you'll hear libs all over the world screaming, "Down with the US! No blood for diamonds!" or some such nonsense.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
AND the only way Africa will ever be "healthy" and "stable" is if we pull a Shock and Awe on them and remove their corrupt dictators. Would YOU go for that, considering when we did it with Iraq we got vilified all over the world?

dck4shrt

vraiblonde said:
I do but they don't listen to me. All they want to talk about is "helping" Darfur and stupid crap like that.

Not for us because we never take advantage of it. The first time we try to get some of our investment back, you'll hear libs all over the world screaming, "Down with the US! No blood for diamonds!" or some such nonsense.

Keep calling. Some intern in the office keeps track of the calls, and if they get enough of them they'll pay attention.

So take advantage of it then, open a business that exploits the tremendous growth opportunity or buy stocks in companies that are trying to do business there (or other emerging, high growth markets).

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
When I was with NATO almost a decade ago, I spent a lot of time with the "Average Joes" of Germany in Wilhelmshaven. I learned directly about the German people's attitudes about Americans. Some of them formed their opinions after experiencing what I learned are called "ugly Americans" - those who are guests in other countries but don't bother trying to respect the culture and sensitivities there, instead of trying to get along and maybe learn a few things.

There are just as many Americans that very quickly earn the respect and strong friendship of the average people over there, but the bad ones leave lasting bitterness and prejudices behind, upon which anti-American activists capitalize as much as possible.

We know about these issues and can understand them very well, because we deal with "ugly" Mexicans and other "ugly" immigrants here in the U.S.

I'm sure there is also a widespread, fundamental jealousy and resentment among them that we over here have what we have. Nothing to be done about that - they can follow our example or not, their choice.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Railroad said:
Nothing to be done about that - they can follow our example or not, their choice.
If they wanted to do anything about it, they'd have done it by now. The US is such a young country that those ancient countries should be ashamed that they dropped the ball so badly.

It's easier to be resentful and complain than to get off your ass and do something about it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Nope...

dck4shrt said:
As if everything we do around the globe is out of complete altruism?

...some of it seems to be out of autism. Some rather like tourettes and much simply like a hungover sailor paying people for damages he didn't cause but seems to feel better for doing it.

dck4shrt

Larry Gude said:
...some of it seems to be out of autism. Some rather like tourettes and much simply like a hungover sailor paying people for damages he didn't cause but seems to feel better for doing it.

Funny stuff.
Seriously, I'd be willing to bet the total amount spent on foreign aid is well rewarded in the long run, and as I said earlier, win some, lose some, but its a net gain at the end of the day.

B

Bruzilla

dck4shrt said:
Sounds like a nice trip. And an interesting place to see at an interesting time.

I'll say it again, American companies don't owe anything to us. If they can find a market for their goods and services they'll exploit it and profit from it. Those profits will then in turn benefit shareholders who may live in Illinois or the UAE.

The worst part was the Russian toilet paper! I swear it was like taking rolls of Xerox copy paper and cutting it into folding strips. No wonder why the Soviets were so ornery! Also, we found that there was no water in any Muscovite buildings above the second floors. The people who lived on teh higher floors had to carry their water up. We were in a nice hotel, and the bathroom had one fawcett with cold water, and hoses running to the toilet, sink, and tub, so you had to swap hoses depending on the convenience needed.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Larry Gude said:
Eh hem...we no longer associate the "drunken sailor" image in today's Navy. We are all squared away clean shaven gentlemen.

:jameo:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Did I say 'US' sailor?

Bustem' Down said:
Eh hem...we no longer associate the "drunken sailor" image in today's Navy. We are all squared away clean shaven gentlemen.

:jameo:

Obviously, I couldn't be refering to our Navy. Why, I bet the only thing a typical Us sailor has ever had to drink is mommas milk and lemonade!

:salute:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
vraiblonde said:
If they wanted to do anything about it, they'd have done it by now. The US is such a young country that those ancient countries should be ashamed that they dropped the ball so badly.

It's easier to be resentful and complain than to get off your ass and do something about it.

True.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
dck4shrt said:
Funny stuff.
Seriously, I'd be willing to bet the total amount spent on foreign aid is well rewarded in the long run, and as I said earlier, win some, lose some, but its a net gain at the end of the day.

That may be true. As for their attitude about Americans and our attitude about them, I'd say the net opinion is - the title of this thread. :lmao:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
dck4shrt said:
Keep calling. Some intern in the office keeps track of the calls, and if they get enough of them they'll pay attention.
restrainingorder :lmao: