So, who you got winning the PGA Championship?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
End of story.

Bunkers: All areas of the course that were designed and built as sand bunkers will be played as bunkers (hazards), whether or not they have been raked. This will mean that many bunkers positioned outside of the ropes, as well as some areas of bunkers inside the ropes, close to the rope line, will likely include numerous footprints, heel prints and tire tracks during the play of the Championship. Such irregularities of surface are a part of the game and no free relief will be available from these conditions.

I can see an argument WITH ruling thus. I can't see an argument that the rule isn't clear and that the bunker in quesiton isn't clearly a bunker. At the VERY least, it was incumbent on Johnson to seek clarification given the local rule. He did not consider it and that is a mistake on his part. Players seek clarification all the time.

Just to be sure. :buddies:

Thanks for the link.

If Jack had the same group of quitters, self destructors, chokers and stiffs Tiger has been romping on for the last 13 years, he'd have 30 majors. Maybe 40.

A HUGE part of the equation for any competitor is...the competition and Tiger is in trouble now not just because of his mind not being right but, when he has a tournament where he's 'right', he's gonna be facing a mob of young kids who are itching to get at him. He taught them to not fear beating people.

I mean, look at the board here with 6 to go. Any given week, one of them youngin's is gonna be 'on'. :buddies:

So, now I can get back to this - I pretty much agree. While the fields are deeper now and there are more really good players (and more people that can win on any given week), there are fewer truly great players - fewer stone cold competitors - fewer champions. Who does Tiger have that can compare to Arnold, to Gary, to Tom, in terms of their ability to stand up to Jack and take a championship away from him? Players that were high-order champions in their own right.

Up until now, when Tiger had his A-game, he won - period. There was no one that could challenge him when he was on. Quite often when he had his B-game no one could challenge him. That wasn't so with Jack. When Jack only brought his B-game to a major, there was someone whose A-game was gonna beat him. And, even when he brought his A-game, there were others whose A+ game might deny him the championship anyway. Heretofore, Tiger always won when he played well. Sometimes when Jack played well, he still finished second or third.

End of story.

I can see an argument WITH ruling thus. I can't see an argument that the rule isn't clear and that the bunker in quesiton isn't clearly a bunker. At the VERY least, it was incumbent on Johnson to seek clarification given the local rule. He did not consider it and that is a mistake on his part. Players seek clarification all the time.

Just to be sure. :buddies:

Thanks for the link.

I still don't think most players out there would have sought clarification that that was a bunker - the possibility wouldn't have occurred to them. Phil might have (or else, just not grounded the club to be on the safe side). Tiger might have. Most? I don't think so.

As for Dustin - I should point out that he did indicate in an interview afterward that he had NOT read the rules sheet (or, maybe it was just that rule). He said something to the effect that he doesn't read them unless he has reason to think he needs to. I can't remember his exact words.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So, now I can get back to this - I pretty much agree. While the fields are deeper now and there are more really good players (and more people that can win on any given week), there are fewer truly great players - fewer stone cold competitors - fewer champions. Who does Tiger have that can compare to Arnold, to Gary, to Tom, in terms of their ability to stand up to Jack and take a championship away from him? Players that were high-order champions in their own right.

Up until now, when Tiger had his A-game, he won - period. There was no one that could challenge him when he was on. Quite often when he had his B-game no one could challenge him. That wasn't so with Jack. When Jack only brought his B-game to a major, there was someone whose A-game was gonna beat him. And, even when he brought his A-game, there were others whose A+ game might deny him the championship anyway. Heretofore, Tiger always won when he played well. Sometimes when Jack played well, he still finished second or third.

Hence Jack Nicklaus, by miles, is still the greatest player of all time. 18 majors, 20 couple seconds, 20 couple thirds. Tiger wins or also ran.

:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I still don't think most players out there would have sought clarification that that was a bunker - the possibility wouldn't have occurred to them. Phil might have (or else, just not grounded the club to be on the safe side). Tiger might have. Most? I don't think so.

As for Dustin - I should point out that he did indicate in an interview afterward that he had NOT read the rules sheet (or, maybe it was just that rule). He said something to the effect that he doesn't read them unless he has reason to think he needs to. I can't remember his exact words.

I disagree. I think a lot of players, having read the local rules and the official emphasis and and having played golf most of their lives even if it was some local sectional what have you and being used to local rules time and time again, and having, perhaps, a little bit more aware caddy, would have caught it.

I think some young guys in that hyper pressure may have effed up, too but, I think an awful lot of them would have caught it. Feherty's comments not withstanding. And I bet you $1 and mob of people were reaching for the phone.

The really tough part is that he BARELY grounded it.

All in all my only beef is he missed a golden opportunity to become one of those legends who helped set the bar for the game ever higher.

:buddies: