So you think St. Mary's County has a liquor problem?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We do have a liquor problem here in St. MAry's. 30 years ago, there were far more places you could get it.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
You haven't lived until you listen to someone tell you about the joys of hooch made from shoe polish. o_O

Fortunately, I was able to decline the invitation to join in and indulge.

Ah, the former Soviet Union.

--- End of line (MCP)

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
We do have a liquor problem here in St. MAry's. 30 years ago, there were far more places you could get it.
I'll never forget driving back from DC after work one day with a local, not long after the fateful day I took a job here. He pulls up to the driveup window, gets a 12 pack and hands me a beer before cracking one for himself. I'm like, aren't you worried about getting arrest for drinking and driving? NOPE!

Those were the same days when driving in the few fast lanes we had were for going as slow as you wanted and if other people didn't like it, who gives a ****.

TCROW

I was in Kuwait for about 6 months several years back and being a dry country, alcohol was a challenge. Word was if you knew the right people, you could get some alcohol, but we didn't bother to ask around. A few went to Dubai on weekends to get drunked up, but there was some nice unwashed plums and grapes in the restaurant for breakfast, so we used them to make prison hooch out of apple juice and orange juice. Took a while to get it right, and when we did it was about time to come home.

TCROW

I'll never forget driving back from DC after work one day with a local, not long after the fateful day I took a job here. He pulls up to the driveup window, gets a 12 pack and hands me a beer before cracking one for himself. I'm like, aren't you worried about getting arrest for drinking and driving? NOPE!

Those were the same days when driving in the few fast lanes we had were for going as slow as you wanted and if other people didn't like it, who gives a ****.

Hell yea, I remember the drive-thru at Duke's bar and they'd make us mixed drinks to go! Miss those days.

TCROW

Didn't they actually advertise them as Go Cups? I seem to remember that on that place on MD 235 across from Sandgates Road.

Duke's was on the Leonardtown square. I don't think they officially advertised them as "go cups"; even back then, that wasn't legal. But if they knew you, they'd make you one to go.

Hijinx

I am old, I remember when just about every Mom and Pop grocery store in the county had a bar.

AND slot machines.

gemma_rae

I was in Kuwait for about 6 months several years back and being a dry country, alcohol was a challenge. Word was if you knew the right people, you could get some alcohol, but we didn't bother to ask around. A few went to Dubai on weekends to get drunked up, but there was some nice unwashed plums and grapes in the restaurant for breakfast, so we used them to make prison hooch out of apple juice and orange juice. Took a while to get it right, and when we did it was about time to come home.
Boy Howdy! Nothing like some Pruno to keep you regular.:alkies: