Sobriety Checkpoints and Saturation Patrols

nelsonmuntz

If the Government wanted us to be safe, why not pass a law that makes the vehicle inoperable when alcohol is detected on the driver? Oh that's right it's a huge money making revenue. The same reason why we don't have cars that drive themselves, there would be no way to make revenue on speed/redlight cameras,and so on . And yes, the technology is there,people.

morningbell

hmmmmmm

glhs837

Power with Control
If the Government wanted us to be safe, why not pass a law that makes the vehicle inoperable when alcohol is detected on the driver? Oh that's right it's a huge money making revenue. The same reason why we don't have cars that drive themselves, there would be no way to make revenue on speed/redlight cameras,and so on . And yes, the technology is there,people.

No, its not. Alchohol detection is there, sorta, but its not perfect. Good enough that someone under a convition could be made to put up with it, but ordinary citizens wouldnt. As for the automatic cars, your joking, right? Some aspects of the tech are in place, but very limited in their applications, and certainly not ready for anything like you suggest.

I think speed enforcement is heavily influenced by revenue, and I know that speed cams and red light cams are maybe %95 for revenue, but DUI stuff isnt about revenue. The state doesn't make money on that system, I'm pretty sure.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Here's a novel idea..... just don't drink and drive :faint:

People don't follow the rules so we have to throw out reminders from time to time..... sometimes these reminders are too late and that's sad.

You missed the point here. I don't drink and drive either, but I believe that DUI checkpoints are unconstitutional on the grounds that they presume guilt and there is no probable cause for being pulled over. I am all for getting the drunks off the road as much as anyone, but I am against trampling on the Constitutional rights of law-abiding (i.e. non-impaired) citizens. When you start allowing these types of things to happen, it only opens the door for more invasive laws.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I believe that DUI checkpoints are unconstitutional on the grounds that they presume guilt and there is no probable cause for being pulled over. I am all for getting the drunks off the road as much as anyone, but I am against trampling on the Constitutional rights of law-abiding (i.e. non-impaired) citizens. When you start allowing these types of things to happen, it only opens the door for more invasive laws.

Seems like such a simple thing to understand, don't it?

Animal

I eat red meat
You missed the point here. I don't drink and drive either, but I believe that DUI checkpoints are unconstitutional on the grounds that they presume guilt and there is no probable cause for being pulled over. I am all for getting the drunks off the road as much as anyone, but I am against trampling on the Constitutional rights of law-abiding (i.e. non-impaired) citizens. When you start allowing these types of things to happen, it only opens the door for more invasive laws.
Doesn't the state have the duty to ensure that our roadways are safe by getting impaired motorists off the roads? It's a balancing act between state duty to protect and individual freedom that has already been decided by the SCOTUS (MICHIGAN DEP'T OF STATE POLICE v. SITZ, 496 U.S. 444).

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Do they have kidnapping checkpoints? Bank robbery checkpoints?

Good point.

How about second hand smoke checkpoints? Drug dealer checkpoints? Double bacon cheeseburger checkpoints for body mass index violations? Tax cheat check points?

eddy1

Then I suggest you attend law school, become a supreme court justice, and accept another case which deals with the issue, because current case law finds they are not unconstitutional.

nelsonmuntz

No, its not. Alchohol detection is there, sorta, but its not perfect. Good enough that someone under a convition could be made to put up with it, but ordinary citizens wouldnt. As for the automatic cars, your joking, right? Some aspects of the tech are in place, but very limited in their applications, and certainly not ready for anything like you suggest.

I think speed enforcement is heavily influenced by revenue, and I know that speed cams and red light cams are maybe %95 for revenue, but DUI stuff isnt about revenue. The state doesn't make money on that system, I'm pretty sure.

Why do you have to be caught to have Alcohol detection in place? What about the kid who drives drunk for the first time and wipes out a whole family?

Automatic cars were showcased on the Discovery channel about 10 years ago. What happened to them? The technology was very simple. Magnets installed in the roadway, no bigger then those reflectors in the road, and cars with a unit installed on the front and rear of the car to read the magnets. Not only did this system make it impossible to hit anything, but a side effect was that the cars were getting better gas mileage. Also the cars could drive faster,merge easier, and follow closer, speculating that traffic jams could be eliminated.
They installed these magnets, on a 100 mile stretch of highway in the desert of California, and showed they cars driving themselves, with the operators behind the wheel reading, eating,drinking and even sleeping!
The technology is out there, our government doesn't want us to have it!

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Do they have kidnapping checkpoints? Bank robbery checkpoints?

Good point.

How about second hand smoke checkpoints? Drug dealer checkpoints? Double bacon cheeseburger checkpoints for body mass index violations? Tax cheat check points?
They should set up checkpoints for all that stuff....

Why do you have to be caught to have Alcohol detection in place? What about the kid who drives drunk for the first time and wipes out a whole family?

Automatic cars were showcased on the Discovery channel about 10 years ago. What happened to them? The technology was very simple. Magnets installed in the roadway, no bigger then those reflectors in the road, and cars with a unit installed on the front and rear of the car to read the magnets. Not only did this system make it impossible to hit anything, but a side effect was that the cars were getting better gas mileage. Also the cars could drive faster,merge easier, and follow closer, speculating that traffic jams could be eliminated.
They installed these magnets, on a 100 mile stretch of highway in the desert of California, and showed they cars driving themselves, with the operators behind the wheel reading, eating,drinking and even sleeping!
The technology is out there, our government doesn't want us to have it!

Those baystards :tantrum
I'm holding out for flying cars personally.

meh, I don't mind the DUI checkpoints, it's not like they're coming into our homes and checking for sobriety :shrug:

SoccerMom2

Whats worse being inconvenience by a sobriety check or smashed up cars with dead bodies? Which one would you rather being stuck in traffic for?

Chrystee

Just an update.
Sobriety Checkpoint had 221 vehicles pass through. 3 were pulled to side for testing.
2 were arrested for DUI/DWI.
1 at .11
1 at .20
the .20 was driving his son in the vehicle.
this was between 6:50 p.m. and 7:50 p.m. today.
Now officers have been assigned to saturation areas between Leonardtown, Loveville, Mech, Hollywood, California, back to Route 4 and all between.

Sick. :(

I always wonder when I see a couple out drinking a bottle or two of wine, with their little kids in tow.. what are they thinking?

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Yes, they do. Police will set up roadblocks when they know that a bank has been robbed or a person has been kidnapped.

Yes, but only when a crime has actually been committed. With sobriety checkpoints, they don't know that a crime has actually been committed and it is a more of a fishing expedition. What's to stop them from randomly showing up at your home just to see what other crimes you might be committing, without any probable cause or knowledge that a crime has actually occurred? I'm just saying.

Animal

I eat red meat
Yes, but only when a crime has actually been committed. With sobriety checkpoints, they don't know that a crime has actually been committed and it is a more of a fishing expedition. What's to stop them from randomly showing up at your home just to see what other crimes you might be committing, without any probable cause or knowledge that a crime has actually occurred? I'm just saying.
What constitutional right do you have to drive? None. Do you have a constitutional right to be secure in your home? Yes. Is the state obligated to make the roads as safe as possible? Yes. Is driving while impaired or under the influence a danger to society? Yes.

The sobriety checkpoint issue has been resolved by SCOTUS decision, it was found constitutional. Get over it and get a designated driver.

SoccerMom2

How would you feel if someone got their DUI/DWI dismissed because of violation of Constitutional rights then went ahead a drove drunk again and hurt or killed someone you love?

SoccerMom2

What constitutional right do you have to drive? None. Do you have a constitutional right to be secure in your home? Yes. Is the state obligated to make the roads as safe as possible? Yes. Is driving while impaired or under the influence a danger to society? Yes.

The sobriety checkpoint issue has been resolved by SCOTUS decision, it was found constitutional. Get over it and get a designated driver.

Well said!:howdy: