Solar Power Part 2

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Sam's concerns over power usage prompted me to put the Kill-o-Watt meter on the clothes washer, a 20 year old Kenmore, just to see how much power it uses. Surprised how low the numbers really were. Max wattage was around 570w. Two long loads of bed sheets used about .25KWH. Easily within the capabilities of my solar generator, especially if I choose the 'quick wash' cycle. Cold water washes, so no hot water to consider.

Yeah, I know.... you all think I'm nutz. But that's ok, because I'm so well prepared that we will never have another major power outage again.

You're Welcome. :biggrin:

SamSpade

Sam's concerns over power usage prompted me to put the Kill-o-Watt meter on the clothes washer, a 20 year old Kenmore, just to see how much power it uses. Surprised how low the numbers really were. Max wattage was around 570w. Two long loads of bed sheets used about .25KWH. Easily within the capabilities of my solar generator, especially if I choose the 'quick wash' cycle. Cold water washes, so no hot water to consider.

Yeah, I know.... you all think I'm nutz. But that's ok, because I'm so well prepared that we will never have another major power outage again.

You're Welcome. :biggrin:
Thanks. The appliance whose usage surprised me the most? Fridge. And freezer. As long as it stays CLOSED, it doesn't use much energy.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Thanks. The appliance whose usage surprised me the most? Fridge. And freezer. As long as it stays CLOSED, it doesn't use much energy.
When I was playing with my original solar generator, I was really surprised at how little power a fridge uses, like less than 100w excluding initial surge. The power use adds up for auto-defrost and ice makers. A plain vanilla fridge uses practically nothing.

Clem72

Just noticed that 100 AHr LiFe batteries are down to about $300 now.
Are those 12v batteries? I figure I need about 50 KWH to run the house on an average day, maybe twice that if it's well below freezing. So I would need a bank of 45-90 of those to run my house for a day (14-28k). At that price I might as well buy an extra EV just to use as an emergency house battery.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
For your consideration ...

Might apply here is well. Might want to check with your insurance company to be sure about things.

Aware. No panels mounted to the house, all portable.

At that price I might as well buy an extra EV just to use as an emergency house battery.
This is my long term plan. Use the EV in V2H (Vehicle to Home) mode. Solar panels charge the EV, the EV can power the house. 40Kw of battery. The gas genny either goes away or into long term storage.

Decent, reputable, warrantied LiFePO4 batteries are still expensive. I just paid about $1600 for a single 300Ah battery, so about $530/100Ah.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
For your consideration ...

Might apply here is well. Might want to check with your insurance company to be sure about things.

I posted the video to our HOA's FB page, hoping someone would have better insight on Maryland. One of the members is a roofer who does mainly insurance jobs, and has worked in both states. He wrote that Maryland has less strict rules, and HOAs are more lenient here.

PeoplesElbow

Are those 12v batteries? I figure I need about 50 KWH to run the house on an average day, maybe twice that if it's well below freezing. So I would need a bank of 45-90 of those to run my house for a day (14-28k). At that price I might as well buy an extra EV just to use as an emergency house battery.
Some are, some are 24V.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Finally got around to testing theory. I've got a 300Ah LiFePO4 battery connected to the solar generator, no solar panels just yet. Powering a 1000w pure sine wave inverter to the clothes washer. About 15 minutes into the first load, and so far the highest reading was about 250 watts when the spin cycle kicked in. Otherwise, 100w or less, most of the time under 30w.

Started with the battery at 99.9% charged. I'll see what I have left after a full cycle, which is just over an hour total.

Yeah.... I know. @itsbob and @BadGirl are just laughing at my amateur hour antics, with their whole house just about off-grid. :lol:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
288Ah / 96% remaining after a full load of bedsheets. Inverter never even got warm.

Neat experiment, but moot, since I now have to use the dryer. The washer usage is minuscule next to the dryer.

Clem72

Thanx, I've seen that one. But that specific version is only 120VAC. I'm hoping for the 240VAC split-phase that I can plug into my generator port on the outside of the house that feeds everything.
Everything on the ultium platform is supposed to support V2H, so you could look at a Chevy Blazer or Cadillac Escalade.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Everything on the ultium platform is supposed to support V2H, so you could look at a Chevy Blazer or Cadillac Escalade.
I have a deposit on an Aptera.

Clem72

I have a deposit on an Aptera.
I feel like you have been saying that for at least a year. When are they coming out and what was the final cost. I don't feel like reserving to see what they cost after all the required extras (if you deselect them it says your wait for a vehicle will be considerably longer).

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I feel like you have been saying that for at least a year. When are they coming out and what was the final cost. I don't feel like reserving to see what they cost after all the required extras (if you deselect them it says your wait for a vehicle will be considerably longer).
I have been saying that for a year, or more. They are still trying to get the capitol needed to go to production. A few months back they were hoping to get production by this September, but I'm pretty sure it's slipped again until spring next year.

I configured mine with the 40Kw battery, custom paint, 3-wheel drive motors, full solar package and a few other extras, and it came in around $36K. I expect the cost to go up when actually delivered.

I'm happy to wait for it. I have no urgent need right now, and I'm not buying it to "be green". I just think it's a unique and novel concept car, and I want one.