Solar Power

I went with the digital thermostat, just got it and set it up. It has a function to delay turn-on when using a compressor. Nice for fridges/freezers.

Going to give it some time to adjust/stabilize and see what kind of KWH usage I get, then switch it over to battery only.

Ran for 13 hours overnight on line power, actual runtime was 58 minutes or 7% duty cycle. External thermostat says 34-37 degrees, right where I set it, the thermometer I had been using said 30. So I put a bowl of water in the freezer overnight. It was still unfrozen this morning, so I guess the thermometer I had been using was off by 4-5 degrees. That makes sense because I set my fridge freezer to -6 degrees and that thermometer reads -10.

Today I'll hook it back up to a fully charged battery and do another standalone run time test using the external thermostat. I was hoping to hook the PV panel up by tonight, but it's been delayed in shipping. Monday afternoon at the earliest now.

General Lee

Ran for 13 hours overnight on line power, actual runtime was 58 minutes or 7% duty cycle. External thermostat says 34-37 degrees, right where I set it, the thermometer I had been using said 30. So I put a bowl of water in the freezer overnight. It was still unfrozen this morning, so I guess the thermometer I had been using was off by 4-5 degrees. That makes sense because I set my fridge freezer to -6 degrees and that thermometer reads -10.

Today I'll hook it back up to a fully charged battery and do another standalone run time test using the external thermostat. I was hoping to hook the PV panel up by tonight, but it's been delayed in shipping. Monday afternoon at the earliest now.
You may already know this - but to calibrate or check a thermometer - stick it in a glass of ice water. Plenty of ice (let sit for a few) the thermometer should read 32 degrees. Next, boil water. Here at our elevation water boils at 212*. So the thermometer should read that.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
You may already know this - but to calibrate or check a thermometer - stick it in a glass of ice water. Plenty of ice (let sit for a few) the thermometer should read 32 degrees. Next, boil water. Here at our elevation water boils at 212*. So the thermometer should read that.
Mine must be broked. In ice water it reads 0, in boiling water it reads 100.

This digital thermometer has a calibration feature. I stuck the probe in ice water, it was off by about a degree. Not a big deal. What I am seeing tho is that because this freezer is small and there is no air circulation, the bottom is below freezing, the middle is just about freezing and near the top is well above freezing. I could put a fan in there, but I'm going to take advantage of the thermocline. Frozen stuff will stay frozen at the bottom and butter kept on top will still spread. If I place the probe in the center of the freezer and set it to 32 degrees, that should be pretty close to ideal.

Started the battery run test about 7:30AM, still running strong.

PeoplesElbow

This digital thermometer has a calibration feature. I stuck the probe in ice water, it was off by about a degree. Not a big deal. What I am seeing tho is that because this freezer is small and there is no air circulation, the bottom is below freezing, the middle is just about freezing and near the top is well above freezing. I could put a fan in there, but I'm going to take advantage of the thermocline. Frozen stuff will stay frozen at the bottom and butter kept on top will still spread. If I place the probe in the center of the freezer and set it to 32 degrees, that should be pretty close to ideal.

Started the battery run test about 7:30AM, still running strong.
The different will not be as big with stuff in it.

I have got to stop watching you tube vids.... :doh:

The thermostat setup works really well, but has a few drawbacks. It adds a lot of extra wire, it's clumsy and when it's off, the indicator light on the front of the freezer isn't lit, so you don't know if it's just cycled off or not working at all. All minor inconveniences, but there is a cleaner way. Found a video where the guy simply replaced the freezer thermostat with a same-form fridge thermostat. It would certainly violate my warranty, so I'm going to hold off on that a bit, but in the long run, a much better, cleaner method. That gives me time to research a match for my freezer. And a cheap fix too, as cheap as $6.

It ran over 24 hours on battery only. It was dropping under 12.0VDC under load just now so it's been returned to line power. I was sure that a fridge would have been the worst KWH offender, but I'm happy to say I was wrong.

On a similar note, my drip coffee maker draws 850 watts. It won't be going camping. :lol:

Took the rig out for a test run / shakedown. :yay:
136018 136019

black dog

Free America
It ran over 24 hours on battery only. It was dropping under 12.0VDC under load just now so it's been returned to line power. I was sure that a fridge would have been the worst KWH offender, but I'm happy to say I was wrong.

On a similar note, my drip coffee maker draws 850 watts. It won't be going camping. :lol:
Look at Stanley's Thermos / Coffee Press, My son loves his.
Amazon product

Got the panel today. A bit larger than I imagined, I'm thinking only one panel will fit on the pop-up.

Had a few minutes before sundown to try it out. It was hazy sun, but strong enough to get an idea. Started off with a full battery and a warm freezer. Hooked it all up and turned it on. The solar panel easily put back into the battery as much as the freezer was taking out. Battery stayed fully charged while running the freezer. Turned off the solar panel for 10 minutes. Battery got down to 12.5V. Turned the panel back on, charged at 145watts, then fell back to 90 watts when the battery was full, only took 5 minutes to replenish it to full.

I'm impressed.