Solar system getting larger

K

Kain99

I remember back when I home schooled the kids... We studied Planet X. Is this the same thing?:confused:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I noticed that one of the articles mentioned that it was still debatable as to what is considered a planet. So why wouldn't Quaour and Sedna be considered planets?

To me, if it is in the shape of an ellipsoid or spheroid, and it orbits a sun while not orbiting another planet, it ought to be considered a planet.

Anyone know what the current scientific definition of a planet is and why these two should or shouldn't qualify?

K

Kain99

I think the qualification issue is size. They have yet to determine a definitive set of standards. :wink:

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by sleuth14
To me, if it is in the shape of an ellipsoid or spheroid, and it orbits a sun while not orbiting another planet, it ought to be considered a planet.

Well that covers comets, asteroids, and other assorted space debris and rocks.

Anyone know what the current scientific definition of a planet is and why these two should or shouldn't qualify?

I'm not sure, exactly, but I think that size is one of the determining factors (along with orbit eccentricity and maybe spheriod shape) and I know that Pluto just qualfiies as being a planet. In fact, there is much debate on whether Pluto is a planet or a body that escaped the Kuiper belt, but I think the scientific community gives it the nod, because it has its own satellite.

But since Pluto's status is questionable, based on size, then Quaour and Sedna - which are much smaller - should not even be on the debate table. Unless there are more criteria that I'm not aware of - which may well be the case.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Toxick

I thought comets were just irregularly shaped chunks of rock, as are astroids, space debris, and rocks.

Why hasn't some big fancy conference been held which says: "This is the definition of a planet: it has to be x feet in diameter, which an spheroidal or elliptoidal shape, orbiting a sun, have its own satellite, etc."

I wouldn't think it'd be that hard :shrug: Anything that meets the criteria is a planet. Anything that doesn't, isn't.

Pete

Repete
I thought comets were just irregularly shaped chunks of rock, as are astroids, space debris, and rocks.

Why hasn't some big fancy conference been held which says: "This is the definition of a planet: it has to be x feet in diameter, which an spheroidal or elliptoidal shape, orbiting a sun, have its own satellite, etc."

I wouldn't think it'd be that hard :shrug: Anything that meets the criteria is a planet. Anything that doesn't, isn't.
They are trying but the Uranusites and the Martians have permanent seats on the Planetary Counsel and have veto power. They keep vetoing the creation of a definition unless the FCC lets Howard Stern start farting on the air again.

I managed to lampoon Hward Stern and the UN in one post.......that is skill.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Toxick

I'm not sure, exactly, but I think that size is one of the determining factors (along with orbit eccentricity and maybe spheriod shape) and I know that Pluto just qualfiies as being a planet. In fact, there is much debate on whether Pluto is a planet or a body that escaped the Kuiper belt, but I think the scientific community gives it the nod, because it has its own satellite.

But since Pluto's status is questionable, based on size, then Quaour and Sedna - which are much smaller - should not even be on the debate table. Unless there are more criteria that I'm not aware of - which may well be the case.

I think you're right. Some astronomers believe that Pluto was originally a satellite of Neptune. Pluto's orbit isn't in the same plane as the others, meaning that the crew at Palomar doesn't look for it in the Zodiac constellations. I wonder how Pluto qualifies.

SamSpade

What's undecided is if it is a planet. There are many rocks out there orbiting the sun that are just big chunks of rock, and some of them have odd elliptical orbits that cross our own. Unlike the inner planets, Pluto and trans-Pluto discoveries appear to be captured rocks rather than planets which cooled and coalesced early in the formation of the solar system. There've been other discoveries of trans-Pluto type bodies, but no one has called them planets yet.