Solomons bridge closed due to an accident

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
From SMNEWSNET:

Thomas Johnson Bridge is still shut down due to a motor vehicle collision. Police are awaiting two trucks to remove the involved vehicles.

Additionally, Chancellors Run Road between FDR and Rt.235 has one lane closed due to a motor vehicle collision.

3CATSAILOR

From SMNEWSNET:

Thomas Johnson Bridge is still shut down due to a motor vehicle collision. Police are awaiting two trucks to remove the involved vehicles.

Additionally, Chancellors Run Road between FDR and Rt.235 has one lane closed due to a motor vehicle collision.
At least no one is jumping this time.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Husband got stuck in that mess last night. Ended up turning around and waiting it out at work. After the bridge reopened, he waited another hour at work for the back up to dissipate before heading home. Got home a little after 8pm.

ginwoman

Husband got stuck in that mess last night. Ended up turning around and waiting it out at work. After the bridge reopened, he waited another hour at work for the back up to dissipate before heading home. Got home a little after 8pm.
that must be so frustrating

woogie

That bridge was outdated back when it was built. Should have been
a 4 lane bridge back then. But the Ruling Elite in Annapolis wanted
the money for their pork barrel projects and gut the budget and made
the bridge 2 lanes plus skimped on the concrete, thus now you have
the metal "rubber bands" around the supports to hold the bridge together.

And that bridge is rapidly approaching the end of its projected lifespan
of 50 years. So there is that.

Good luck.

LtownTaxpayer

No bridge should ever be built with less than three lanes. Four lanes would be much better. But three lanes would provide more flexibility for dealing with traffic issues and provide a bit more safety.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

That bridge was outdated back when it was built. Should have been a 4 lane bridge back then. But the Ruling Elite in Annapolis wanted the money for their pork barrel projects and gut the budget and made the bridge 2 lanes plus skimped on the concrete, thus now you have the metal "rubber bands" around the supports to hold the bridge together.

And that bridge is rapidly approaching the end of its projected lifespan of 50 years. So there is that.

Good luck.

They didn't skimp on the concrete. I think it was a structural design flaw from the beginning, though it sure looked pretty on paper. Kinda like that pedestrian bridge that collapsed awhile back. That bridge would have eventually collapsed regardless because of those internal compression cables since they were anchored within the concrete of the bridge itself, dealing with thermal expansion, flexing, wind sheer loads, creating weak areas, I think. Concrete has great compressive strength when under a vertical load. But no lateral strength, regardless if reinforced. That's what happened with those support columns. Those cantilever projections out from center of those supports lacked the necessary strength to support the road weight above it, and hence, the failure, requiring those lateral band supports which squeeze, compress, the concrete in a lateral manner to keep them from further disintegration. I'm no engineer, but that's my take.

Though, I'm guessing, soon ezpass is on its way to Solomons, someday, whenever that bridge is replaced.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think it's not a question that they will have to close the bridge long before a replacement is in place.
The good news is that the base in particular has found the 21st century and telework

Speaking of "work schedules" did anyone get the full details on the proposed law for a 4 day work week?
Are they going to make people work 4, by 10 hour days, or are they simply giving people a pay raise and dropping a work day?
Fair would be rolling back pay by 20% but that would be political suicide.

PeoplesElbow

I think it's not a question that they will have to close the bridge long before a replacement is in place.
The good news is that the base in particular has found the 21st century and telework

Speaking of "work schedules" did anyone get the full details on the proposed law for a 4 day work week?
Are they going to make people work 4, by 10 hour days, or are they simply giving people a pay raise and dropping a work day?
Fair would be rolling back pay by 20% but that would be political suicide.
Where did you see that? Sure I'll be exempted for mission criticality. Many years back we were mandatory 10hr days 7 days a week.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Where did you see that? Sure I'll be exempted for mission criticality. Many years back we were mandatory 10hr days 7 days a week.
Which part, the new state law or NAVAIR coming to terms with telework?

I saw a headline or a comment about the law and googled it. It was real and I think it only impacts state workers or government employees,
What was interesting was there was no talk of the hours and pay. Just that everyone would be on a 4 day work week.
I am talking about the legislation itself. It clearly didn't address hours and pay, just who all would be covered under the 4 day work week act.

As for telework. Depends on who you talk to. Most places have encouraged "max telework" during this exercise.
There has been a big investment (or lack of one) in facilities - as in they have given up buildings that were being rented and moved people into "hotel" seating arrangements. Though some offices have retained their entire space and are encouraging employees to come in.

PeoplesElbow

Which part, the new state law or NAVAIR coming to terms with telework?

I saw a headline or a comment about the law and googled it. It was real and I think it only impacts state workers or government employees,
What was interesting was there was no talk of the hours and pay. Just that everyone would be on a 4 day work week.
I am talking about the legislation itself. It clearly didn't address hours and pay, just who all would be covered under the 4 day work week act.

As for telework. Depends on who you talk to. Most places have encouraged "max telework" during this exercise.
There has been a big investment (or lack of one) in facilities - as in they have given up buildings that were being rented and moved people into "hotel" seating arrangements. Though some offices have retained their entire space and are encouraging employees to come in.
Oh it's a state law

DaSDGuy

They didn't skimp on the concrete. I think it was a structural design flaw from the beginning, though it sure looked pretty on paper. Kinda like that pedestrian bridge that collapsed awhile back. That bridge would have eventually collapsed regardless because of those internal compression cables since they were anchored within the concrete of the bridge itself, dealing with thermal expansion, flexing, wind sheer loads, creating weak areas, I think. Concrete has great compressive strength when under a vertical load. But no lateral strength, regardless if reinforced. That's what happened with those support columns. Those cantilever projections out from center of those supports lacked the necessary strength to support the road weight above it, and hence, the failure, requiring those lateral band supports which squeeze, compress, the concrete in a lateral manner to keep them from further disintegration. I'm no engineer, but that's my take.

Though, I'm guessing, soon ezpass is on its way to Solomons, someday, whenever that bridge is replaced.
Coronado Bridge over San Diego Bay is the same design, except it is five lanes wide. The supports work just fine and there is even more road surface weight to hold up. It doesn't need zip ties to hold it together.

PeoplesElbow

It's not so much vertical vs lateral load, it's tension vs compression load. Prestressing the concrete can keep it in a compression load. It can be easily prestressed with rods that have nuts on the end and simply tighten the nuts down before a load is applied.