SOMD private schools

black dog

Free America
A whole freaking block! Must be real lazy.

No sorry, they didn't want to provide bus service for my son. That had no stops in Leonardtown for the bus that brought kids from Leonardtown HS to Chopticon HS multiple times a day for programs that were not offered at Leonardtown.
He's not lazy by any means.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Got news for ya'

The amendment might have been INCORPORATED this year but.... they have been doing that for MANY years!

This year there was an additional form for the seperate lottery that specifically asked eligibility for free/reduced lunch. The application in years past did not, only for race.

black dog

Free America
I get pretty $h!tty when the school bus makes individuals stops at driveways that are 50-75 feet apart from each other. But that's just me.

This stop was at 7:15 am in front of Leonardtown ES, it picked up 4 kids, it was the only bus stop in downtown Leonardtown. The stop has been eliminated as all the kids drive this year.
If your kid wanted to do AFJROTC you had to go to Chopticon.
If Navy JROTC you go to Great Mills, no JROTC is offered at Leonardtown HS.

Restitution

This year there was an additional form for the seperate lottery that specifically asked eligibility for free/reduced lunch. The application in years past did not, only for race.

I guess that depends on what you refer to as "ancestry."

What I am saying is that, if there was a specific ban on preference based on "ancestry and socioeconomic status" then why the need to ask about one's race when applying?

Clem72

Does that school provide a preference to legacy students and kids from lower income families??? :tap:

Hey everybody, I can change the claims I made too. You said it was a school for X, where the facts are X represents 7.5% of said school. Changing that claim doesn't make you right, it only shows your inability to reason or argue your point.

If your point is that their admissions are unfair, okay. I get it. They are a charter school and don't have to be fair.

But that wasn't what you said, and it wasn't what I argued against.

Clem72

I guess that depends on what you refer to as "ancestry."

What I am saying is that, if there was a specific ban on preference based on "ancestry and socioeconomic status" then why the need to ask about one's race when applying?

Maybe they ask because they don't like black people? Look at their enrolment, 80% white in a school district with ~20% white population of children. Clearly they ask about race to discriminate against black people, that is where you were going with this right?

Restitution

Hey everybody, I can change the claims I made too. You said it was a school for X, where the facts are X represents 7.5% of said school. Changing that claim doesn't make you right, it only shows your inability to reason or argue your point.

If your point is that their admissions are unfair, okay. I get it. They are a charter school and don't have to be fair.

But that wasn't what you said, and it wasn't what I argued against.

I agree with this. I misspoke in my previous post. What I meant to say was.

"This is NOT a Charter school. It CATERS to legacy and under privileged students!"

Restitution

Maybe they ask because they don't like black people? Look at their enrolment, 80% white in a school district with ~20% white population of children. Clearly they ask about race to discriminate against black people, that is where you were going with this right?

Not at all. Where I was going with THIS is....

Why do their rules stipulate that they do not select students based on ancestry when their enrollment application clearly asks that very question? I don't give a rat's azz where they are and what the community makeup is. If you open a school with enrollment policies... then enroll students based on things that are AGAINST those policies.... that's WRONG. I don't care what the excuse is.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Our oldest is in Ryken after K-8 in public schools. He loves it and is excelling and we are happy. But I see this discussion is geared for the ES/MS age.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Bay Montessori. You will thank me for that recommendation someday (if you are wise enough to choose Bay).

I looked at Bay. While my monster has been montessori since 6 months, im hesitant to continue after kindergarten. Im not sure its the best model for older shildren. Plus they are $$$$. They are on my list to visit, though.

Both of my kiddos attend The King's Christian Academy (KCA)...they've been there for several years and we've really liked it. It feels safe and I'm impressed with what they're learning. It's is pricey, but most of the parents I've talked to receive some sort of financial aid -- it helps bring down the $$$$ to $$. They have a pre-K through 12th grade program, so we plan on seeing it through until they're ready for college. Every student does STEM classes starting in 4th grade (robotics becomes a core course, for instance). My kids both like the after school programs like strings club and drama. They're looking forward to being a part of the sports teams in the coming years. Overall, it's been a solid choice for us.

Clem72

Both of my kiddos attend The King's Christian Academy (KCA)...they've been there for several years and we've really liked it. It feels safe and I'm impressed with what they're learning. It's is pricey, but most of the parents I've talked to receive some sort of financial aid -- it helps bring down the $$$$ to $$. They have a pre-K through 12th grade program, so we plan on seeing it through until they're ready for college. Every student does STEM classes starting in 4th grade (robotics becomes a core course, for instance). My kids both like the after school programs like strings club and drama. They're looking forward to being a part of the sports teams in the coming years. Overall, it's been a solid choice for us.

Glad to know KCA is a solid non-religious option as asked about by the original poster.

Whoops, my bad. Didn't catch the non-religious part. Well, for what's worth, we're happy there. Not too many independent schools around SOMD, unless you're willing to go up the road a bit. I know a few families who drive up to Calverton, which is K-12, but it has a serious price tag attached.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Glad to know KCA is a solid non-religious option as asked about by the original poster.

Whoops, my bad. Didn't catch the non-religious part. Well, for what's worth, we're happy there. Not too many independent schools around SOMD, unless you're willing to go up the road a bit. I know a few families who drive up to Calverton, which is K-12, but it has a serious price tag attached.

I am fine with religious, given thats our only choice around here. I would truely prefer KCA as the non parochial option but the $$$ is a huge investment. I did hear they have lots of aid, though and some of it is first come first served.. Problem is you have to apply (725 in registrationa nd application fees) in order to see i you can get any aid...thats a big if for me

I am fine with religious, given thats our only choice around here. I would truely prefer KCA as the non parochial option but the $$$ is a huge investment. I did hear they have lots of aid, though and some of it is first come first served.. Problem is you have to apply (725 in registrationa nd application fees) in order to see i you can get any aid...thats a big if for me

I think the registration fees are refundable if you aren't able to get the aid you need. There's definitely lots of financial aid at the school. (Most of the families I know are getting some help.) It might be worth a call to the school. The admissions director is named Barbara Mashtare...I've talked to her before and she's a great resource. The website is www.KCAeagles.org and their phone is: 301-994-3080. Hope that helps!

Christy

b*tch rocket
I looked at Bay. While my monster has been montessori since 6 months, im hesitant to continue after kindergarten. Im not sure its the best model for older shildren. Plus they are $$$$. They are on my list to visit, though.

Both my kids went to Starmaker and then my daughter went to Bay. While Starmaker was great when they were small, I would agree that they wouldn't be that great for higher elementary grades, but Bay is fantastic. My daughter is a whiz at math and science and we have Bay Montessori to thank for that. I would definitely pay them a visit and have the kids demonstrate how they learn the various mathematical concepts.

sparkyaclown

You do realize that out of the 400+ applications they receive, way less than 35% even fall into that category anyhow. I would go as far as to say less than 10% probably. Since they are a public school they fall into the same mandates that every other public school does with regards to population. They aren't specifically catering to them and even doing a separate lottery will still not achieve what the county would like them to. They have a larger challenge in that the families in that minority generally don't even apply. So instead of a healthy mix of the various demographics you end up with a very skewed list of applicants mostly from your wealthier families. The reason for the separate application is an attempt to meet the guidelines while still trying to keep the lottery as fair as they can. I know someone whose child just received a letter of acceptance and they are both employed :faint:. It sounds more like your complaints are really centered around the fact you weren't in the 3% than whether the process is fair. Unfortunately, there is no way to make it completely random and still appear fair. Even if you stated 10% of the applicants fell into that free/ reduced lunch category then you would still have less than a 1% chance that your selections contained a student from that demographic if it was totally random.

Restitution

They have a larger challenge in that the families in that minority generally don't even apply. So instead of a healthy mix of the various demographics you end up with a very skewed list of applicants mostly from your wealthier families.

So, what you are saying is due to the fact that some "demographics" actually SHOW UP and attempt to get their child into the school, they are punished in favor of the ones that can't be bothered to make the attempt? So, it's "No Child Left Behind" but extended into the realm of the application process?

Unfortunately, there is no way to make it completely random and still appear fair.

Seriously??!! You cannot think of 1 way to make it fair??

How about this.... EVERY child is assigned a number when applying. Those numbers are fed into a computer which randomly picks out the required applicants to fill the voids. END OF STORY! If its 90% black, white, single-parent, whatever.... no one can be blamed because it was a random pick PERIOD!

Child's name, age, and grade level is all that is needed.