Some excitement today

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Ouch. I heard that one, loud clap this afternoon just as I was getting the smoker ready.

When you get the new modem installed, check for a lightning arrestor before the cable comes into the house. See that it's properly grounded.

ontheriver

Got hit by lightning, blew out my TV and cable modem. Nice bright flash from the TV before the thunder clap. This is why I buy cheap TVs.
My well house was hit by lightning several years ago. It went through the house and blew the light off the end of the pier. Fried my microwave, dryer, 2 TV's, and a video game. The lights in the house were so bright they were blinding. Scared me half to death.

I was without water for a week.

PeoplesElbow

Cable modems have increased in price a fair bit in the last 5 years.

Why do Best Buy and walmart sell modems not on the approved list?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Cable modems have increased in price a fair bit in the last 5 years.

Why do Best Buy and walmart sell modems not on the approved list?

Because they have stores in every state and each state having a different internet provider which may use a specific modem/s for their respective service?

PeoplesElbow

Because they have stores in every state and each state having a different internet provider which may use a specific modem/s for their respective service?
They can't possibly sell them though, or at least have to take them back all the time. Walmart does have regional stock, notice how we can buy Ravens and the team formally known as the redskins gear but no 49ers stuff at ours?

LightRoasted

If I may ...

They can't possibly sell them though, or at least have to take them back all the time. Walmart does have regional stock, notice how we can buy Ravens and the team formally known as the redskins gear but no 49ers stuff at ours?

Ohhh. You mean in-store merchandise? That is a good question then. Maybe for some special applications that we don't know about?

Clem72

Back when they were metrocast and you could actually get their real techs on the support line they would use any modem you had, whether it was on the list or not (as long as it worked). They wouldn't officially "support" or guarantee speeds with modems not on the list.

ABB might also let you use one of these non-listed modems if you get the right geek on the phone.

PeoplesElbow

Back when they were metrocast and you could actually get their real techs on the support line they would use any modem you had, whether it was on the list or not (as long as it worked). They wouldn't officially "support" or guarantee speeds with modems not on the list.

ABB might also let you use one of these non-listed modems if you get the right geek on the phone.
That makes more sense, these are probably ones that have been tested.

Natron0915

Got hit by lightning, blew out my TV and cable modem. Nice bright flash from the TV before the thunder clap. This is why I buy cheap TVs.
That stinks. Curious, is that damage covered by home insurance? Haven't had the misfortune of a strike yet, but now I'm sure I just jinxed myself and will get nailed the next time the wind blows.

ontheriver

That stinks. Curious, is that damage covered by home insurance? Haven't had the misfortune of a strike yet, but now I'm sure I just jinxed myself and will get nailed the next time the wind blows.
My insurance covered everything (with my 1K deductible). They did offer to put me up in a local hotel until my water was back on. Even a pet friendly hotel; but I declined because they were older and would have been stressed in a strange place because I had to work.
After about a year I received a check for my deductible. Apparently they subrogated the claim to SMECO and SMECO paid the insurance company back.

Natron0915

My insurance covered everything (with my 1K deductible). They did offer to put me up in a local hotel until my water was back on. Even a pet friendly hotel; but I declined because they were older and would have been stressed in a strange place because I had to work.
After about a year I received a check for my deductible. Apparently they subrogated the claim to SMECO and SMECO paid the insurance company back.
Well that's good to know. Wonder how they got SMECO to pay up unless they did something wrong when doing the install. Thanks!

PeoplesElbow

EH it blew a $100 cable modem. I've saved so much from having a $5k deductible for 15 years now I am ahead of the house now.

Clem72

EH it blew a $100 cable modem. I've saved so much from having a $5k deductible for 15 years now I am ahead of the house now.
5k? Damn, I thought I was living dangerously with a $1k. Though every expense that has come up that I thought might be covered has ended up costing me less than $1k to fix myself.

PeoplesElbow

5k? Damn, I thought I was living dangerously with a $1k. Though every expense that has come up that I thought might be covered has ended up costing me less than $1k to fix myself.
Insurance is for the things you can't pay for yourself, like a catastrophic event causing $20k in damage.

I think the difference between a $1k and a $5k deductable was about $500/year.