some suggestions for HSS

lovemyber135

i was just thinking about how excited i am for hss to come around again that i was like well what if this happeded maybe it would be better or this....so here it goes...For the jumping classes or w.e you want call it...i think they should be more appropiatly grouped...like in the jumping class that i was in we hadd people jumping 18" and people jumping 2'6 oxers i mean we only had so much time...like maybe there should be a choice of what level jumping you are doing...and i was also thinking what if you offered like jumpers and hunters as two different options...i mean they are both so different...jumpers you go fast and hunters is slow and steady...i think that would be fun!...thats my suggestion just thought you could hear me out...

thanx for reading
nikki :coffee:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
i was just thinking about how excited i am for hss to come around again that i was like well what if this happeded maybe it would be better or this....so here it goes...For the jumping classes or w.e you want call it...i think they should be more appropiatly grouped...like in the jumping class that i was in we hadd people jumping 18" and people jumping 2'6 oxers i mean we only had so much time...like maybe there should be a choice of what level jumping you are doing...and i was also thinking what if you offered like jumpers and hunters as two different options...i mean they are both so different...jumpers you go fast and hunters is slow and steady...i think that would be fun!...thats my suggestion just thought you could hear me out...

thanx for reading
nikki :coffee:

Where did you jump 18 in and 2'6 in the same division?

lovemyber135

well we had like young girl in our class she just wasnt experienced and it waisted time...it wasnt i divison it was like a clinic for 4 days

CountryLady

luvmyponies
well we had like young girl in our class she just wasnt experienced and it waisted time...it wasnt i divison it was like a clinic for 4 days

I think there was also a situation where the kid was experienced and the horses weren't, right. :whistle:

I think they are looking at this issue. :coffee:

What is REALLY needed is more volunteers! :howdy:
They had an excellent jumping instructor. But it is difficult to go back and forth between 10 or so kids teaching basics to some and more advanced skills to others.

They should probably split up the groups a little better.

Here are some ideas I had:

#1 What do you think about a rider evaluation prior to hss?
(like maybe at Oakridge) so that kids and horses could be place properly in the classes.

I kinda think the evaluations on paper are really difficult to place kids properly.
It is basically a self evaluation or parent evaluation.

#2 If the Instructor had an assistant that could work with the beginners on the basics at one end of the ring. While the instructor worked with the kids that that were a little more advanced at the other.

I think that could be done in such a way where fewer kids are just sitting around waiting in line for their turn.

All the kids could benefit from the instructors knowledge. For instance the instructor could direct the assistant to work on specific skills (basics) with the beginners, then let the assistant supervise beginners (half of the class) with the skills building each day. Then the instructor could help the more advanced students refine their skills.

One thing for sure, there are a lot of kids that want to learn to Jump. It is a very popular class. But I do think you are right in that there needs to be a better evaluation process to assess knowledge and training levels of riders and their mounts!!!:coffee:

Suggestions from the experienced jumpers/instructors are welcome, especially positive comments from folks that have attended HSS in the past and understand how the clinics and days are set up.

Last edited:

Eventer29

I was the jumping instructor the year before last. Some sort of evaluation would be nice. Esp if the instructor themselves could do the evaluations. I know the year I taught was interesting... The "advanced group", most of them COULD jump 2'6+ with some exceptions, but should they have been? prob not really. I know some kids were a little upset with me because they didnt get the height, but we did some challenging exercises at lower heights. I felt that if they could not do those exercises at 18" they should not have been jumping a whole lot higher. Plus with 4 days of hard riding the horses and ponies do not need high jumps. Some of the animals were pretty tired and a little stressed.
The "beg. group" most of them actually seemed to have a better grip on the basics. But we still stayed at a low height and did the more difficult exercises.
We also had major weather issues and only had 2 days I think to work together, as well as not having many jumps to work with on the first day. Not to mention horses acting up...etc.

Anyway, I had fun and hope most of the kids had fun too. But an evaluation would have made things run a lot better. In the future if I am invited to instruct again, I will def bring someone who can do a little teaching with me, so if I do have a problem horse/kid they can take them aside and work with them, instead of slowing down the whole class.

On another note. Does HSS still do the safety tack and apparel check before the kids ride on the first day? I did not have any kids in my classes, but I know that there were some kids in unsafe foot wear. Someone knowledgable should also evaluate tack fit etc...

Last edited:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I was the jumping instructor the year before last. Some sort of evaluation would be nice. Esp if the instructor themselves could do the evaluations. I know the year I taught was interesting... The "advanced group", most of them COULD jump 2'6+ with some exceptions, but should they have been? prob not really. I know some kids were a little upset with me because they didnt get the height, but we did some challenging exercises at lower heights. I felt that if they could not do those exercises at 18" they should not have been jumping a whole lot higher. Plus with 4 days of hard riding the horses and ponies do not need high jumps. Some of the animals were pretty tired and a little stressed.
The "beg. group" most of them actually seemed to have a better grip on the basics. But we still stayed at a low height and did the more difficult exercises.
We also had major weather issues and only had 2 days I think to work together, as well as not having many jumps to work with on the first day. Not to mention horses acting up...etc.

Anyway, I had fun and hope most of the kids had fun too. But an evaluation would have made things run a lot better. In the future if I am invited to instruct again, I will def bring someone who can do a little teaching with me, so if I do have a problem horse/kid they can take them aside and work with them, instead of slowing down the whole class.

On another note. Does HSS still do the safety tack and apparel check before the kids ride on the first day? I did not have any kids in my classes, but I know that there were some kids in unsafe foot wear. Someone knowledgable should also evaluate tack fit etc...

I tend to agree with you.
With four days of intense riding in many different types of classes, by the end of the week the horses and kids are tired. But I could see where the kids would like the opp. to show their skills for higher jumps. Having said that, with tired kids and tired horses, good opp. for injury too.

I think the real root of the problem that "lovemyber135" is trying to point out is that there has to be a better way of determining skill level of horse and rider BEFORE HSS so that they don't get the wide mix of rider/horse ability in the same class.

Some kids brought horses to HSS that have never jumped, while other kids brought horses that could jump the moon but the rider wasn't trained.
Regardless of rider ability or horse ability in those cases, they should be placed in a beginner class PERIOD. JMO.

HSS is a place where kids have an opp. to be exposed to types of horseback riding that they otherwise may not get a chance too. It is a good place to test the waters, so to speak. But if the rider SELF/PARENT evaluations aren't done honestly, and they do not include the horse’s ability, there could be more problems like this.

This is not the place to think, "I wish my child could jump 2'6", so I will put them in the advanced class." "They are otherwise a very good rider.":whistle:

I would even like to see a couple of mini clinics for the HSS kids throughout the year (like at oakridge). BUT it takes volunteers. :howdy:

I think that they are already trying something like that with Open Trail and Polo Cross.

I DO think the teaching assistant would be very helpfull pulling off a few kids to work on specific skills.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
HSS used to to a ready to ride the week BEFORE HSS, but this past year the former MD HC president had some serious health issues and the planning stages got a really late start. I will bring up doing a ready to ride for skills prior to HSS at the next board meeting. It would be nice if we could have all instructors show up for that date, to evaluate the kids who will be in her classess, and help with class divisions following the ready to ride evaluation but that has to happen well before the start of HSS.

We DO a ready to ride tack inspection which includes apparal on the first morning. We can't control what they wear after that.

SO, anyone who would like to instruct a class could volunteer early (like now) and be in on the planning stages to make that happen. That's why we've already had several meetings for 2010 (all announced in here). Anyone who would like to contact the president for 2010 can do so, by sending me a pm and i'll provide her email address.

Thanks for bringing your suggestions to light lovemyber135. You can also email them to the HSS email group, you should have been getting emails from that group all along. Do you?

Last edited:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
When is the next meeting?

What instructors are lined up so far?

What type of instructors do we still need?

Volunteer for 2010 HSS!

lovemyber135

i mean really if you want your child to jump 2'6 then thats what lessons are for or a friend to teach you if you cant afford lessons like my self lol...i mean you cant learn it in 4 days...and our instrcutor was a very good one and he did a very good job handleing all the levels of jumping in our class but there just wasnt enough time...i think it would be awsum if prior to HSS when we sign up....there should be more specific options of rider and horse ya know???....but other than that i think i was the oldest there and i loved every minute of HSS...jumping is my thing thats why im saying something about it to help out :)....this is my last year of HSS and bet ill be volunteering after this year!!!!

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
well we had like young girl in our class she just wasnt experienced and it waisted time...
Actually, there was one small child on a large horse (which is who I think you were talking about) who DOES actively take lessons and who DID write their appropriate skill on the registration form: beginner.

Riyad made it a point to touch base on everything and everyone, which was nice. He even did some switching around of the students in the jumping classes so that he could categorize them better.

It gets complicated when there are so many riders, so little time, and a limited amount of instructors/classes. The point is that they have to cater to EVERYBODY'S needs, and find a way to do so efficiently. Given that there are usually only a handful of students out of the 50 who actually jump well and regularly, what do you expect? I felt like there were more experienced people/horses this year than in previous years, in terms of english riding and jumping. But still, there were only a handful that could competently jump 2'6". I feel like they manage the time and efforts well. If you want a more experienced camp, go somewhere else where you'll learn more (not being nasty, just stating). I don't feel like they have enough participation and resources to break down the jumping class even more though (heights, riding style). If they could, they would I'm sure.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
it is very difficult to do. there is a limited amount of time to arrange kids with instructors, and ability levels. This year the jumping classes were the largest they've ever been. Those who divide kids into the right classes often are familiar with the attending kids, and can place them appropriately, however, this year, there were a LOT of newbies, which is GREAT but makes the task at hand that much harder.

Add that to the limited number of instructors, and potentially only one or two students at a particular level...it's hard to accomodate. My kid has always excelled by riding with kids above her skillset. It encouraged her to try harder and ride better. She's now better than most adult riders at only 12 years old. The fact that she's been riding since I was preggie with her not withstanding of course :biggrin:

So please exhibit some tolerance for those you could mentor, and get what you can out of what you have available to you. The instructor will see the ones who are ready for more, and will often accomodate those kids the best way he can. Especially Riyad. He was an awesome addition to this year's HSS and has agreed to come back again next year! :yay: Maybe someday you will be lucky enough to apprentice with him or take lessons from him as a result of being introduced to him at HSS.

Last edited:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Actually, there was one small child on a large horse (which is who I think you were talking about) who DOES actively take lessons and who DID write their appropriate skill on the registration form: beginner.

Riyad made it a point to touch base on everything and everyone, which was nice. He even did some switching around of the students in the jumping classes so that he could categorize them better.

It gets complicated when there are so many riders, so little time, and a limited amount of instructors/classes. The point is that they have to cater to EVERYBODY'S needs, and find a way to do so efficiently. Given that there are usually only a handful of students out of the 50 who actually jump well and regularly, what do you expect? I felt like there were more experienced people/horses this year than in previous years, in terms of English riding and jumping. But still, there were only a handful that could competently jump 2'6". I feel like they manage the time and efforts well. If you want a more experienced camp, go somewhere else where you'll learn more (not being nasty, just stating). I don't feel like they have enough participation and resources to break down the jumping class even more though (heights, riding style). If they could, they would I'm sure.

Personally, I think those comments are (border-line)out of line. Sorry!
I don't feel that you should EVER "UNWELCOME" a child.
And although that may not have been your intent, It kinda has that Flavor.
I guess I really don't understand why people think it is ok to be mean, nasty or rude but saying "I don't mean to do so" following their statement. :shrug:
(Or, maybe you could point out to us where this "more experienced" camp you refer to is. )

I beg to differ with you about the participation. Here’s why!
#1:
When I signed my kids up, I was told that "JUMPING classes filled up first."
EVERYBODY wanted to learn to jump" and that it was one of the largest classes. It is in fact a clinic, and there SHOULD be a beginner/intermediate class and an intermediate/advanced class. HSS is an opportunity for kids of all riding levels to come together and learn new skills, meet friends doing the thing they love, riding and being with horses. The participation is there.

Trail class has beginning and advanced, Jumping should too, especially given the amount of participation.
I think it is the Instructor volunteer types, where we are lacking participation.

DO WE HAVE ANY VOLUNTEERS?

Riyad was exceptionally AWESOME. But he could have used (at the very least) an assistant. If I am remembering correctly, he even said so himself that he had never had to deal with such a large class. But having said that he adapted and over came. But he could have used an assistant. Or the class should have been broken up.

I BELIEVE THAT EVERY KID SHOULD GET THERE MONEYS WORTH!!! Kids (groups) standing in lines with their mounts waiting (in the HOT sun) for (what seems like) long periods of time while other kids get INDIVIDUAL attention is difficult to digest.

It is all lessons learned. And there were some extenuating circumstances this year with regard getting HSS 2009 of the ground due to the aforementioned health issues of a board official. Let’s hope that 2010 will be a better year.

Lovemyber135 thanks for your input because it is POSITIVE forward looking comments like these that will tune up HSS 2010 to be better for ALL.

WHAT CAN WE DO TO MAKE IT BETTER???

Last edited:

buddyboii

Having attended HSS this past year as my first time ever going i thought that it was so tightt, but the jumping classes were packed with different skill levels which did slow things down a bit, but Rhyiad handled it really well and did a fantastic job:) I think that having an assistant in the ring with him (or any instructor) would be a really good idea just as another set of eyes that can help the riders out with the basic things. I really like the idea of having the skills demostration or whatever at oakridge prior to attending HSS, that way the instructors have an idea of what skill level they are working with and dont have to spend the whole first day trying to figure it out. just some thoughts :)

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Having attended HSS this past year as my first time ever going i thought that it was so tightt, but the jumping classes were packed with different skill levels which did slow things down a bit, but Rhyiad handled it really well and did a fantastic job:) I think that having an assistant in the ring with him (or any instructor) would be a really good idea just as another set of eyes that can help the riders out with the basic things. I really like the idea of having the skills demostration or whatever at oakridge prior to attending HSS, that way the instructors have an idea of what skill level they are working with and dont have to spend the whole first day trying to figure it out. just some thoughts :)

:yeahthat:

:dance: JUST WANT ALL OF THE KIDS TO HAVE A GOOD (SAFE) TIME!!!!

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
I think there was also a situation where the kid was experienced and the horses weren't, right.
well we had like young girl in our class she just wasnt experienced and it waisted time...
Then can you tell me what kind of flavor this holds? Check yourself before you check on others. I don't unwelcome anybody, and neither should you.

The camp is made to cater to EVERYONE'S needs, as I stated before. Did you miss that? Therefore everyone is probably not going to be 100% satisfied. Obviously the OP isn't 100% satisfied, and that's fine. It's because she is more experienced and HSS has always been a beginner/intermediate type of deal. She posted a few suggestions, and that's fine. What I was trying to do was state a friendly rebuttal, as someone who has attended and helped out with the camp for a few years. I'm not trying to put the OP down at all.

The participation is there.
The particpation to create more advanced jumping classes is not there, that's just it. It never has been really, and that is what I meant. You could make a whole separate camp on different riding styles and heights! That's how detailed it could get, which is why a generalized "you're experienced, you're not" benefits HSS.
it is very difficult to do. there is a limited amount of time to arrange kids with instructors, and ability levels. This year the jumping classes were the largest they've ever been. Those who divide kids into the right classes often are familiar with the attending kids, and can place them appropriately, however, this year, there were a LOT of newbies, which is GREAT but makes the task at hand that much harder.
See?

Oh, and there are tons of more experienced camps and clinics out there. Summer Riding Programs - The Equiery Here's a huge list of the majority of summer horse camps in Maryland. Pick one.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Then can you tell me what kind of flavor this holds? Check yourself before you check on others. I don't unwelcome anybody, and neither should you.

The camp is made to cater to EVERYONE'S needs, as I stated before. Did you miss that? Therefore everyone is probably not going to be 100% satisfied. Obviously the OP isn't 100% satisfied, and that's fine. It's because she is more experienced and HSS has always been a beginner/intermediate type of deal. She posted a few suggestions, and that's fine. What I was trying to do was state a friendly rebuttal, as someone who has attended and helped out with the camp for a few years. I'm not trying to put the OP down at all.

The particpation to create more advanced jumping classes is not there, that's just it. It never has been really, and that is what I meant. You could make a whole separate camp on different riding styles and heights! That's how detailed it could get, which is why a generalized "you're experienced, you're not" benefits HSS.

See?

Oh, and there are tons of more experienced camps and clinics out there. Summer Riding Programs - The Equiery Here's a huge list of the majority of summer horse camps in Maryland. Pick one.

WOW! Relax; my statement regarding the rider being experienced and horse not, still goes back to proper placement of the kid in the class with their given mount. So I believe you have misinterpreted the intent. I am not unwelcoming anyone (nor would I ever), just stating that there needs to be a proper evaluation prior.

But given your position (parent/volunteer/etc...), I think it is of bad taste to tell a kid to go somewhere else for camp. I am sorry you took offense. You had a chance to clarify your statement, and I believe you did just that. I personally don’t believe in solving issues as they arise by uninviting them.

“Lovemyber135” brought up a good point, how are we going to solve it? Certainly not by excluding your daughter or son (or anybody elses child) cause they don’t jump 2’6”. It should be solved by making sure the class size is appropriate via instructor/assistant to camper ratio. Or to split up the class into levels as with trail, speed, and other classes.

What I said previously was :
It is in fact a clinic, and there SHOULD be a beginner/intermediate class and an intermediate/advanced class.
Trail class has beginning and advanced, Jumping should too, especially given the amount of participation

That way the beginners could learn from the intermediate students and the intermediate could learn from the advanced students. That way (being conservative) if you had only three advanced students matched with three intermediate, the class should run smoothly. The same way as if you had just a few beginners with a few intermediate. :biggrin:

JUMPING, IMO, takes far more training, and presents far more safety issues than some of the others, yet there, we combine all levels of ability of riders and their mounts. WHY? If it was your child that had to wait for the advanced riders, sitting in the hot sun on their mounts, would you think that would be fun for them? NO, of course not. But an assistant would be able to have them work on level appropriate skills (basic). Mean while the instructor could work with the more advanced students. I fail to see where the bad is in that! :shrug:

I do not remember the SELF EVALUATION stating horse ability or training level. I do not have an e-copy handy. But the kids themselves brought it up to me. One girl told me that her mount was not at all trained in a specific area but selected the higher level classes any way and she spent the four days training her mount. GOOD for her! But not all kids have the where-with-all to do that. I didn't slow down the clinic in that case, but if it had been a jumper clinic, I could see where it could. That is why I suggested a rider mount evaluation. It would solve a lot of these issues before hand, and wouldn't waste time during the clinic. And some others here agree.

TEENAGERS THESE DAYS NEED TO BE WELCOMED!
lovemyber135 gives teenagers a good name.
I for one appreciate her input.
Her heart is in the right place and she trying to take on a little responsibility by growing up and making suggestions for HSS 2010, and if handeled correctly could very well make it better! WHATS WRONG WITH THAT!

Yes there are other riding programs out there for summer, BUT THEY ARE NOT "HORSE SCIENCE SCHOOL!"
A lot of the local programs that are listed in the EQUIRY, cater to the younger crowd (7-12). :coffee:
:buddies:

Last edited:

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Oookay, forget it. Half of my posts are lost in translation, the other half in ignorance. :buddies: Good bye!