some suggestions for HSS

CountryLady

luvmyponies
http://forums.somd.com/horses/136976-horse-science-school.html

50 Children ages 8 through 18 from the Southern MD area will have 4 fun filled days of the best time ever spent with their horses.

This event takes some 40 volunteers that are willing to devote some time and give something meaningful to the children.
We are in need of instructors, clinicians, demonstrators, etc . Western and English. If you can help please let us know.

Last edited:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
If you volunteer all week, you can camp out on the grounds with your little scouts!
I think they REALLY need a volunteer for FOOD! Not sure if they filled that spot yet.
Think it entails going to pick up food at nearby restaurants etc.... SuBway, Ledos, KFC, etc...

lovemyber135

Actually, there was one small child on a large horse (which is who I think you were talking about) who DOES actively take lessons and who DID write their appropriate skill on the registration form: beginner.

Riyad made it a point to touch base on everything and everyone, which was nice. He even did some switching around of the students in the jumping classes so that he could categorize them better.

It gets complicated when there are so many riders, so little time, and a limited amount of instructors/classes. The point is that they have to cater to EVERYBODY'S needs, and find a way to do so efficiently. Given that there are usually only a handful of students out of the 50 who actually jump well and regularly, what do you expect? I felt like there were more experienced people/horses this year than in previous years, in terms of english riding and jumping. But still, there were only a handful that could competently jump 2'6". I feel like they manage the time and efforts well. If you want a more experienced camp, go somewhere else where you'll learn more (not being nasty, just stating). I don't feel like they have enough participation and resources to break down the jumping class even more though (heights, riding style). If they could, they would I'm sure.

well you know if i was wealthy enough to go to a better camp i would...but HSS is what im stuck with (which i am happy i am lol)...but i wasnt complaining...if you noticed the title of this thread had the "suggestions" in it...so i wasnt being mean to that little girl she was awsum no lie she did a great job with that big horse...but her and these other 2 girls should have maybe been placed not in that jumping class and more maybe, would have gotten done in both levels if they were in another class (thats a suggestion) and yes they did do the best they could but there is always room for improvment and HSS does ask for suggestions so i was just giving them some....my bad...:geek: