Something (disturbing) i have noticed

onel0126

Bead mumbler
An observation....A lot of local Protestant churches--to be fair most are non-denominational instead of denominational, preach anti-Catholic rhetoric. This is evident in their youth groups as well. I don't expect any of you to acknowledge that you have personally experienced this--it would only bolster my point.

Hand to God, I have been a member of many Catholic parishes and I have never heard priests spew forth hate. In fact, in terms of disagreeing with Protestant doctrine, always done in a reverent manner.

Over the past year my kids were denied entry by a group of students in their high school to a morning prayer circle (lead by kids from New Life church in La Plata) because they were
"Catholic and not Christian." One kid told my kids that Catholics weren't allowed to cry at funerals and the only thing Catholics care about is money.

I would like to point out that this is a clear example of Protestant oral tradition. From pastor X to mommy and daddy to little Johnny.

In downtown La Plata a local store front church regularly demonstrates with signs at the intersection of 6/301 against the Catholic Church.

I was told recently by a child staying the night at our house that the Catholic Church is not a
Christian Church because it doesn't have full immersion baptism and altar calls. Again, she is a product of a non-denom youth group. Can you imagine a child who is a guest in your house telling you that your religion is a cult (except for Starman's kids)?

These churches are turning out little hate mongers instead of proclaimers of the Gospels.

That would be a huge change in philosophy on the Protestant church's part. I was raised Protestant, and was never exposed to those kinds of thoughts. We even had cross denominational get-togethers with Catholic churches.

And FWIW, I was not baptized by full immersion.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
That would be a huge change in philosophy on the Protestant church's part. I was raised Protestant, and was never exposed to those kinds of thoughts. We even had cross denominational get-togethers with Catholic churches.

And FWIW, I was not baptized by full immersion.

Were you affiliated with a specific denomination?

MMM_donuts

I was raised Southern Baptist. I'm pretty sure they hate everyone.

When I was older I attended a Bible church that was one of the most loving and accepting places I've ever been. They were very open and willing to discuss different perspectives on religion. The people I met from that church are currently the only thing that keep me from hating Christians and Christianity in general.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
An observation....A lot of local Protestant churches--to be fair most are non-denominational instead of denominational, preach anti-Catholic rhetoric. This is evident in their youth groups as well.

Hand to God, I have been a member of many Catholic parishes and I have never heard priests spew forth hate. In fact, in terms of disagreeing with Protestant doctrine, always done in a reverent manner.

Over the past year my kids were denied entry by a group of students in their high school to a morning prayer circle (lead by kids from New Life church in La Plata) because they were "Catholic and not Christian." One kid told my kids that Catholics weren't allowed to cry at funerals and the only thing Catholics care about is money.

I would like to point out that this is a clear example of Protestant oral tradition. From pastor X to mommy and daddy to little Johnny.

In downtown La Plata a local store front church regularly demonstrates with signs at the intersection of 6/301 against the Catholic Church.

I was told recently by a child staying the night at our house that the Catholic Church is not a Christian Church because it doesn't have full immersion baptism and altar calls. Again, she is a product of a non-denom youth group. Can you imagine a child who is a guest in your house telling you that your religion is a cult (except for Starman's kids)?

These churches are turning out little hate mongers instead of proclaimers of the Gospels.
Even I have to say that this is rare. I've never seen any church signs saying they hate Catholics. God wouldn't be in that church and any church that says they "hate" Catholics, would be ones that I'd never attend.

We are called to correct denominational differences when they differ from Bible teachings and Jesus said we should do it with gentleness & respect. We should never say anything hateful about any beliefs. Stick to the denominational differences and leave out the personal stuff.

libby

An observation....A lot of local Protestant churches--to be fair most are non-denominational instead of denominational, preach anti-Catholic rhetoric. This is evident in their youth groups as well. I don't expect any of you to acknowledge that you have personally experienced this--it would only bolster my point.

Over the past year my kids were denied entry by a group of students in their high school to a morning prayer circle (lead by kids from New Life church in La Plata) because they were
"Catholic and not Christian." One kid told my kids that Catholics weren't allowed to cry at funerals and the only thing Catholics care about is money.

I was told recently by a child staying the night at our house that the Catholic Church is not a
Christian Church because it doesn't have full immersion baptism and altar calls. Again, she is a product of a non-denom youth group. Can you imagine a child who is a guest in your house telling you that your religion is a cult (except for Starman's kids)?

I really wouldn't put give a lot of weight to what you hear kids say. My own daughter, when she was like..6, told my MIL she was going to hell because she wasn't Catholic. Now, that is nowhere near anything I ever said, but who can explain what kids think they hear?

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Even I have to say that this is rare. I've never seen any church signs saying they hate Catholics. God wouldn't be in that church and any church that says they "hate" Catholics, would be ones that I'd never attend.

We are called to correct denominational differences when they differ from Bible teachings and Jesus said we should do it with gentleness & respect. We should never say anything hateful about any beliefs. Stick to the denominational differences and leave out the personal stuff.

All due respect you don't attend a church and you are jaded. My experience is different. Didn't expect you to agree with me. Hating under the guise of "correcting denominational differences" often leads to hating. Raising kids with lies like Catholics aren't Christians is hate as well as being hypocritical while condemning Catholics for having extra-biblical teachings while saying a church isn't a church unless they have (extra-biblical) altar calls.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
I really wouldn't put give a lot of weight to what you hear kids say. My own daughter, when she was like..6, told my MIL she was going to hell because she wasn't Catholic. Now, that is nowhere near anything I ever said, but who can explain what kids think they hear?

In the case I pointed out, the "child" was 16 and very indoctrinated against Catholicism. Never is allowed to go to Mass with us or attend Catholic youth group activities and she actively preaches to my kids. This is not an example of out of the mouths of babes...

Starman3000m

...These churches are turning out little hate mongers instead of proclaimers of the Gospels.

:howdy:

Hi onel. Unfortunately, if any kids are taught to be "hate mongers" toward those of another religion it is no different than if they are being taught to hate with prejudice someone of another race/ethnicity.

Regarding differences of religious faith, The Holy Bible proclaims that the follower of Jesus is to admonish, rebuke and correct those who are following false teachings (2 Timothy 4:1-3) but does not call for the Child of God to scorn or "hate" others that do not follow the True New Testament Jesus.

You may recall that previous RCC popes also had such animosity and hatred toward those of other faiths that they called for forced conversions or persecutions and death unto those who did not accept papal authority and many RCC believers held that same view toward non-Catholics.

We must turn to the example and commandment of the New Testament Jesus where He proclaimed that if we say we love God and "hate" our brother then we are liars and do not have the love of God within us. And, while it is true that the RCC preaches a different "Jesus" than the Jesus of The New Testament, there should be no "hatred" instilled in the heart of anyone who claims to be a follower of Christ.

Briefly:

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us...

We love because he first loved us. Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister. (1 John 4:7-12 ; 19-21)

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
All due respect you don't attend a church and you are jaded. My experience is different. Didn't expect you to agree with me. Hating under the guise of "correcting denominational differences" often leads to hating. Raising kids with lies like Catholics aren't Christians is hate as well as being hypocritical while condemning Catholics for having extra-biblical teachings while saying a church isn't a church unless they have (extra-biblical) altar calls.
I'd think it's more "experienced" than jaded. Most people will look at correction as hating on their beliefs but it isn't...at least in my case. I agree that kids should not be told that "Catholics aren't Christians". While it CAN turn into hatred, I don't agree that it always does. I don't hate any of you and just because I correct some of your doctrine, doesn't mean I'm hating on you.

I've often said that there are a lot of Catholics who have been misled into thinking they're saved when they're not but I've also said that about many other belief systems.

hotcoffee

Please won't you all stop fighting..... it's been going on since Christ was here.

Everyone has been so involved with choosing who is the better disciple that the gospel is missing.

Get some discussions going about the gospel itself..... it would be much more productive.....

Get a discussion going about the parables.... so people can learn

Religion should be about spreading the word.... IMHO

:coffee:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Get some discussions going about the gospel itself..... it would be much more productive.....:

Tried that several times, didn't work. Catholics got accused of preaching "another Jesus, another gospel" :blahblah:.

This disturbing trend that onel mentions was very much a reality in my home one day. A neighbor girl was over at the house, she was raised non-denominational. I kid you not, I overheard a conversation between her and my daughter discussing Jesus, they were both 10 yo at the time. Her: "Dad says Catholics are bad." Daughter: "I'm Catholic." Her: "Oh, well you seem cool." I thought to myself, "Now go home and tell your daddy that."

I have never once heard a Catholic homily addressing Evangelical beliefs. We stick to the gospel. Our identity is not based on what someone else is or is not. Perhaps some Evangelical movements don't intend to spread hate, but they do so anyway by simply bringing it up often and having the we're right they're wrong attitude. It's taught at home because it's taught in the pulpits. And if that doesn't disturb you, it should.

PsyOps

Pixelated
An observation....A lot of local Protestant churches--to be fair most are non-denominational instead of denominational, preach anti-Catholic rhetoric.

So you committing the immortal sin of straying from the CC by entering into another church?

:yikes: