SOP in Calvert County?

NOTSMC

Had the misfortune last night of driving my oldest and his dog to the Animal ER in Calvert last night. It was only 8:30ish but I counted over eight local county cops and state troopers. Just hanging out on side roads mostly and occasionally chasing down speeders I guess. Saw at least the same amount on the way home at 11:00.

Seemed a bit excessive, is that the usual for Calvert County?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Yes and no. There might have been a call in the vicinity.

Now I'll wait for the thread complaining about the lack of speed enforcement in the County.

NOTSMC

Yes and no. There might have been a call in the vicinity.

Now I'll wait for the thread complaining about the lack of speed enforcement in the County.
But if there was a call, why would they be just parked on side roads? One of them was actually up an embankment.

Grumpy

Had the misfortune last night of driving my oldest and his dog to the Animal ER in Calvert last night. It was only 8:30ish but I counted over eight local county cops and state troopers. Just hanging out on side roads mostly and occasionally chasing down speeders I guess. Saw at least the same amount on the way home at 11:00.

Seemed a bit excessive, is that the usual for Calvert County?
Not usual, I went to my doc in Huntingtown on Monday, saw 5 people pulled over in different areas between PF and Huntingtown, 3 county cops and 2 state cops. Also, over the past month, noticed unoccupied county cop cars sitting off rt 4 in various places between PF and Solomons, hadn't ever seen that done in Calvert.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
But if there was a call, why would they be just parked on side roads? One of them was actually up an embankment.
It would depend on what the call was. One of the FedGov cubicle dwellers getting his ass kicked by his husband they'd be at the house. A possible traffic stop (a guy in an Impala going like a bat out of hell down 4) they'd sit and wait.

It was probably a speed enforcement push, those are done periodically.

One of the complaints historically against the Sheriff's Department is that they're all wannabe State Police and want to do nothing but speed enforcement and chase people instead of engaging in community policing, patrolling the neighborhoods and business areas, making civilian contacts.

You can't have it both ways, bitch and moan, as some on here do constantly, about bad driving and lack of enforcement and then complain about that enforcement when it happens.

NOTSMC

It would depend on what the call was. One of the FedGov cubicle dwellers getting his ass kicked by his husband they'd be at the house. A possible traffic stop (a guy in an Impala going like a bat out of hell down 4) they'd sit and wait.

It was probably a speed enforcement push, those are done periodically.

One of the complaints historically against the Sheriff's Department is that they're all wannabe State Police and want to do nothing but speed enforcement and chase people instead of engaging in community policing, patrolling the neighborhoods and business areas, making civilian contacts.

You can't have it both ways, bitch and moan, as some on here do constantly, about bad driving and lack of enforcement and then complain about that enforcement when it happens.
I would LOVE to see that in SMC occasionally.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Not unusual.... I always play a game with whoevers in car, when we hit north Calvert having come from Balt/DC where ever...

Hadn't seen cop at all, driving back...

So home many cops we going to see by time we get to Solomons,

5/6/7????

Rumor was that they use this as training for new cops, radar/laser etc.
Once DICK EVANS left, it stopped/slowed but ramped up again !

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Not usual, I went to my doc in Huntingtown on Monday, saw 5 people pulled over in different areas between PF and Huntingtown, 3 county cops and 2 state cops. Also, over the past month, noticed unoccupied county cop cars sitting off rt 4 in various places between PF and Solomons, hadn't ever seen that done in Calvert.
yup notice this in Solomons too...

TPD

the poor dad
I've seen the unoccupied county car in the median in Solomons numerous times over the last 3 months or more.

They have a few cars that they just park and leave to scare speeders ... windows are tinted dark so you cant see in them
SMC is doing this now as well, only they don't have tinted windows on their unoccupied cars. Saw an empty sheriff's deputy car sitting in the Redgate area today. I've seen one 2 different days in the last week sitting at the Hollywood water tower as well.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I've seen the unoccupied county car in the median in Solomons numerous times over the last 3 months or more.

SMC is doing this now as well, only they don't have tinted windows on their unoccupied cars. Saw an empty sheriff's deputy car sitting in the Redgate area today. I've seen one 2 different days in the last week sitting at the Hollywood water tower as well.
there was one 235-S right before the turn for Harris Teeter plaza. Everyone kept slamming on their brakes and I'm like, NO ONE'S THERE!

we drove up Rt 4 Monday morning for an apt by the beltway and we passed at least 8 LEOs on the way in Calvert. Definitely seemed extra... some parked on the side, some traveling.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
there was one 235-S right before the turn for Harris Teeter plaza. Everyone kept slamming on their brakes and I'm like, NO ONE'S THERE!

we drove up Rt 4 Monday morning for an apt by the beltway and we passed at least 8 LEOs on the way in Calvert. Definitely seemed extra... some parked on the side, some traveling.
Probably this was still being handled:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Driving up Rt. 4 to the airport last Monday (the 6th) around 0500, I passed at least four Calvert cops parked tucked back off the road a bit. One every few miles.