Southwest Jet From BWI Slids Off Runway In Chicago

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
CHICAGO - A Southwest Airlines flight from Baltimore to Chicago slid off a runway at Midway International Airport and onto a nearby street as it attempted to land amid heavy snow and wind, authorities said Thursday.

Although there were no immediate reports of injuries on the plane, at least one person was seriously hurt in a vehicle on the ground, Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said.

The accident happened about 7:15 p.m. when Southwest Flight 1248 inbound from Baltimore slid off the runway, crashed through the airport's boundary fence and stopped on part of Central Avenue, according to the Federal Aviation Administration's regional office in Chicago.

"It got really bumpy, and then a big crashing sound," passenger Katie Duda told WMAQ-TV. The next thing she knew, the airplane was past the airport and on the street, Duda said. :yikes:

Jet Slids Off Runway

L

ladylara

when i went to bed they were reporting no fatalities. woke up to hear that a six year in the car the plane hit died. how terribly tragic. :(

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
crabcake said:
Jazz ... Jazz ... Jazz ... :frown:

"Slids" :confused: Twice in the same post? :shakesheadinshame:

I think Jazz was baiting the grammar queens to point out that spelling error.

Ponytail

Yea, pretty horrible thing. "My son was killed by a 737". It even sounds unbelievable after seeing it on the news. How do you get over that?

I can't believe they attempted a landing in that weather. It was snowing HARD. There's NO WAY that the plows and other equipment used, could have kept up with that. I can't WAIT to hear the tapes.

strange fact: 33 years to the day when a similar accident there killed 45 people.

We're expecting 15-30 cm's of snow here in the couple of days. It's a bright sun shiney day, and they've been asking folkd, via radio and tv for 2 days now, that if they have flights planned for tonight or tomorrow, they can and should try to get an earlier flight out and that there is plenty of flights available.

It's all about Safety.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
oh yay! on monday i leave for florida on southwest...............this makes me feel so much better about leaving!!!

That sucks about that 6yr old........but i suppose it was his time.........

Ponytail

mv_princess said:
oh yay! on monday i leave for florida on southwest...............this makes me feel so much better about leaving!!!

That sucks about that 6yr old........but i suppose it was his time.........

:doh: You have a knack for stepping in chit on this board, have you noticed?

:popcorn:

Agee

Ponytail said:
I can't believe they attempted a landing in that weather. It was snowing HARD. There's NO WAY that the plows and other equipment used, could have kept up with that. I can't WAIT to hear the tapes.

It's all about Safety.
:yeahthat:

I believe the plane was alreday in a 1 1/2 to 2 hour holding pattern before they landed. I'd be surprised if the cause of the accident was anything other than the condition of the runway.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
Jazz ... Jazz ... Jazz ... :frown:

"Slids" :confused: Twice in the same post? :shakesheadinshame:

I copied and pasted the headline and never even noticed. :banghead: I think somebody spiked my eggnog. :jet:

I watched some video taken shortly after the accident and could not believe they would even ATTEMPT to land in those conditions. It was snowing so hard and the wind was swirling around terribly that I am surprised they even let ANY plane try to land. :frown:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:
I copied and pasted the headline and never even noticed. :banghead: I think somebody spiked my eggnog. :jet:
When I read the headline, it says sKids... :shrug:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
RoseRed said:
When I read the headline, it says sKids... :shrug:

Pssst...blondie...they continually update the story. You'll notice the words are not the same as when I posted it. :wink:

dustin

UAIOE
I heard on Elliott this morning that the plane intially touched down 500 yards past the area where it is supposed to.

Last edited:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Airgasm said:

I believe the plane was alreday in a 1 1/2 to 2 hour holding pattern before they landed. I'd be surprised if the cause of the accident was anything other than the condition of the runway.
Southwest has an exceptional safety record. Aircraft have anti skid brakes and reverse thrusters . My guess is the aircraft overshot the threshold on the runway and did not have enough runway to stop afterwards. Midway is a crazy airport it reminds me of Norfolk one end of the run way is on the interstate and the other end is in town. Still pretty crappy for the family of the child here at Christmas.

Agee

Dougstermd said:
My guess is the aircraft overshot the threshold on the runway and did not have enough runway to stop afterwards. Midway is a crazy airport it reminds me of Norfolk one end of the run way is on the interstate and the other end is in town.
Dustin posted, he heard a possible cause, was "overshooting the runway".

Reporters were making the point of the size of Midway, and the fact it is completely surrounded by houses and businesses. As far as Norfolk, one end of the main runway butts up against Little Creek Amphib base, you fly right over the ships on approach, and take-off.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
dustin said:
I heard on Elliott this morning that the plane intially touched down 500 yards past the area where it is supposed to.
Considering that the longest runway at Midway is only 6,500 feet a miss of 500 yards is unreal for the weather conditions/breaking actions.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Airgasm said:

If the plane had been held for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, it was probably land or fall out of the sky time. It is not like you can pull over to the side of the holding pattern and say "fill it up". IFR reserves were probably exhausted. Controllers or pilot should have diverted to alternate airport.

Agee

2ndAmendment said:
If the plane had been held for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, it was probably land or fall out of the sky time. It is not like you can pull over to the side of the holding pattern and say "fill it up". IFR reserves were probably exhausted. Controllers or pilot should have diverted to alternate airport.
It was in fact only 35 minutes, my bad.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
2ndAmendment said:

The article says:

Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said the plane had circled Midway for 30 to 35 minutes because of the weather and the flight traffic before it was cleared for landing on the airport's 6,500-foot runway. The airport, surrounded by homes and businesses, has shorter runways than most major airports, because it was originally built to handle smaller propeller planes. The larger ones land at O'Hare.

so I doubt fuel levels had much to do with it. It is definitely more likely that the short length of the runways coupled with the condition of the runway and the possible overshot of it by the pilot were the critical factors in the accident.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Ponytail said:
Yea, pretty horrible thing. "My son was killed by a 737". It even sounds unbelievable after seeing it on the news. How do you get over that?

strange fact: 33 years to the day when a similar accident there killed 45 people.

We're expecting 15-30 cm's of snow here in the couple of days. It's a bright sun shiney day, and they've been asking folkd, via radio and tv for 2 days now, that if they have flights planned for tonight or tomorrow, they can and should try to get an earlier flight out and that there is plenty of flights available.

It's all about Safety.
Conditions were pretty bad in Indianapolis.
I flew in at 11:30 pm.
I was supposed to have arrived at 10:00 pm.

My plane fishtailed on the runway at landing but came out of it, thankfully.