SpaceX determines cause of Starship SN11 prototype crash

Kyle

Having a Beer while the world burns!
PREMO Member
The March 30 crash marked the fourth consecutive Starship vehicle SpaceX has lost since December

SpaceX founder Elon Musk explained why the Starship prototype SN11 went up in flames last week.

In a tweet on Monday, the billionaire replied to a SpaceX-themed Twitter account that asked how the investigation into SN11’s "rapid unscheduled disassembly" -- or RUD -- was going.

"Ascent phase, transition to horizontal & control during free fall were good. A (relatively) small CH4 leak led to fire on engine 2 & fried part of avionics, causing hard start attempting landing burn in CH4 turbopump," he explained.

glhs837

Power with Control
RUD....lol....that’s a new one for me. We used to refer to rocket motor failures simply as an “energetic disassembly”
This looks to be the best history I can find in the 445 seconds I'll devote to it.

My question would be that if that piece of electronics can be toasted in such a way that the system cant tell it's toasted, they need to harden it better or at least add a monitor circuit so they know it's toasted. Better chance to land on just two engines than blow the ship starting one you don't know is bad.