Speaking of iPods

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
My son got the ipod nano for Christmas. We have yet to successfully download a song. We have worked with iPod and iTunes to fix the problem with no success. Error 403 is our enemy. iTunes said they think it is their server, and to wait 2 weeks to try again. So we tried other services and you still must blend music into iTunes in order to get it to the iPod. It just doesn't work.
I have a sneaking suspicion its a firewall problem, even though I have followed all the instructions given, including some ideas on the iPod forum. It seems others have this same problem, expecially if they are running Windows XP Home.
If you have encountered this problem and found a workaround I would be grateful for the assistance.

S

Schizo

bresamil said:
My son got the ipod nano for Christmas. We have yet to successfully download a song. We have worked with iPod and iTunes to fix the problem with no success. Error 403 is our enemy. iTunes said they think it is their server, and to wait 2 weeks to try again. So we tried other services and you still must blend music into iTunes in order to get it to the iPod. It just doesn't work.
I have a sneaking suspicion its a firewall problem, even though I have followed all the instructions given, including some ideas on the iPod forum. It seems others have this same problem, expecially if they are running Windows XP Home.
If you have encountered this problem and found a workaround I would be grateful for the assistance.

Why not just drag and drop mp3 files into the Nano using Windows explorer?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
mainman said:
Wait 2 weeks?

Is there a model number on the nano?

I don't have it with me. It's the ipod nano 2g. Registered, etc. They said they've had "occassional problems" that are hit and miss. I have downloaded their programs and erased and downloaded again over a dozen times. (their instructions)

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Schizo said:
Why not just drag and drop mp3 files into the Nano using Windows explorer?
You would think that would work but supposed the mp3 files must be in iTunes format.

mainman

Set Trippin
I googled this and I can't seem to find anything, I even skimmed an Ipod forum....

Is it possible you have a lemon?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
mainman said:
I googled this and I can't seem to find anything, I even skimmed an Ipod forum....

Is it possible you have a lemon?
iTunes said its their problem. if you go to the itunes page, select help, they have a forum for problems and the ipod nano one is hilarious. The guy who said he was using the manuals for tp then flushing his nano. :lmao: Well it would be funny if it wasn't so frustrating.

S

Schizo

bresamil said:
We've had to deauthorize, then reauthorize the computer and ipod. No joy.

Do you have a firewall on the computer? Is the XP firewall on?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Schizo said:
Do you have a firewall on the computer? Is the XP firewall on?
I do have firewalls, and have followed their instructions on what to allow, etc. I'm far from an expert, but going without firewalls scares the bejesus out of me as we already came close to crashing due to a computer virus attached to one of my son's game sites.
If you know something I should try, I'm open to suggestions, as long as it does not make the computer too vulnerable.

S

Schizo

bresamil said:
I do have firewalls, and have followed their instructions on what to allow, etc. I'm far from an expert, but going without firewalls scares the bejesus out of me as we already came close to crashing due to a computer virus attached to one of my son's game sites.
If you know something I should try, I'm open to suggestions, as long as it does not make the computer too vulnerable.

How about this, make a new restricted account (not admin capable). Log into that account, turn off all the firewalls, run iTunes and see if it works. If it does, then there's an ancillary program that iTunes uses that is being blocked.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Schizo said:
How about this, make a new restricted account (not admin capable). Log into that account, turn off all the firewalls, run iTunes and see if it works. If it does, then there's an ancillary program that iTunes uses that is being blocked.
I will try it when I get home and report back

Fred Hoeck

I have video IPOD, I found buried in notes that web accelerators must be disabled to download. This helped, but still have problems getting some larger podcasts. Apple's answer is to use high speed internet.
But, you should be able, as I have been, to load music/speech/video using itues that are available offline, ie. already on computer, copied from your own LP's and CD's. Have had no problems with Rush 24/7 podcasts.
Did have problem this weekend where IPOD would freeze, not play, not exit, not shut off. let batteries run down, when recharging, now works. Have warrenty, so may take back. Was frozen with video so worried of burn in.

Judy

Ipod Problem

Are you using the USB port to download? If so, is it a 1.1 or 2.0? We got an Ipod for Christmas and experienced the same problem. It was because we were using a 1.1.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Judy said:
Are you using the USB port to download? If so, is it a 1.1 or 2.0? We got an Ipod for Christmas and experienced the same problem. It was because we were using a 1.1.
You got an error 403? Supposedly, they are all 2.0. How did you fix the problem? Switch ports?

Judy

Sorry, I should be more specific. I could not download songs. Can't remember what error message(s) we got.

The USB port on my laptop is a 1.1. We bought a PCMCIA 2.0 adapter. It works like a charm now.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
bresamil said:
You got an error 403? Supposedly, they are all 2.0. How did you fix the problem? Switch ports?

If its a new computer, it should be nothing but 2.0. My recommendation is tell apple to refund the money. Go buy a Creative Labs one for less money. Make sure its Napster to Go compatible and then subscribe to Napster to Go and fill it and change it as often as you like for much less money. Then go buy yourself one, too, since you can support two MP3 players for one subscription price. :yay:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
:getdown: :banana:

Thank you all for the suggestions, but they ended up not being needed. The iPod itself needed an update which was waiting for me when I logged on this evening. Now I can download from cds, limewire, itunes, whatever I want. I wish they had just told me this was the problem during the last 2 weeks of he!!.