Speaking Of Rome (Roman Concrete Recipe)

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.

Scientists have long puzzled over the elusive recipe for ancient Roman concrete, which has withstood the test of time better than any of the concrete that’s been poured in the 20th century. Now, Time reports that Maria Jackson from the University of Utah claims to have unravelled the mystery, and furthermore believes that the ancient Roman process could influence modern-day construction.

Jackson’s findings, published in American Mineralogist, claim the unbreakable strength of ancient Roman concrete is due to a rare chemical reaction that takes place when the mineral aluminium tobermorite is exposed to sea water. The reaction strengthens the mortar and prevents cracks from forming or widening.

The longer the concrete is submerged in sea water, the stronger it becomes, as a mineral mixture of silica oxides and lime grows between the volcanic rock aggregate, which in turns hardens all the components into a single, unyielding piece.

Short, but really cool article (if this is your sort of thing).

--- End of line (MCP)

Clem72

Short, but really cool article (if this is your sort of thing).
--- End of line (MCP)

When I was in Rome I was told twice by different people that the reason they don't use "Roman Concrete" anymore is that it's an expensive process and takes a very long time to become harder than cheap portland cement (like 100+ years), so it's not practical for use in construction.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
When I was in Rome I was told twice by different people that the reason they don't use "Roman Concrete" anymore is that it's an expensive process and takes a very long time to become harder than cheap portland cement (like 100+ years), so it's not practical for use in construction.
My understanding was that no one actually knew what Roman concrete was. I agree, it was known that it took quite a long time to harden completely, but the attraction here (and why I posted) is for use in projects we know need to be in place for centuries (like the reef described in the article).

--- End of line (MCP)

Clem72

My understanding was that no one actually knew what Roman concrete was. I agree, it was known that it took quite a long time to harden completely, but the attraction here (and why I posted) is for use in projects we know need to be in place for centuries (like the reef described in the article).

--- End of line (MCP)
I could see the benefit for specific use cases. Again, just going off what the locals told me. I think the opinion was that they more or less knew the process, but not the mechanism. I know I have seen many many articles over the years about how they made the concrete and then guesses as to why it becomes so strong.