Special forces to use strap-on

ylexot

Super Genius
Get your mind out of the gutter :biggrin:
Special forces to use strap-on 'stealth wings'
Elite special forces troops being dropped behind enemy lines on covert missions are to ditch their traditional parachutes in favour of strap-on stealth wings.

The lightweight carbon fibre mono-wings will allow them to jump from high altitudes and then glide 120 miles or more before landing - making them almost impossible to spot, as their aircraft can avoid flying anywhere near the target.
Coooooooool. I want one!

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Nifty toy

"The lightweight carbon fibre mono-wings will allow them to jump from high altitudes and then glide 120 miles or more before landing... although concealing the 6ft wings after landing could prove harder than burying a traditional parachute."
They're pretty cool, but as the article mentions, hiding them upon arrival could be tricky. And what about recovering them later? I doubt they would be cheap enough to be considered 'disposable'.

ylexot

Super Genius
hvp05 said:
They're pretty cool, but as the article mentions, hiding them upon arrival could be tricky. And what about recovering them later? I doubt they would be cheap enough to be considered 'disposable'.
I would doubt that they are expensive enough that they would worry about recovering them. My guess...~$1k each. They're not complicated (few or no controls), they're not big, and they're not made of some exotic material. Hiding them...yeah, that might be tough, but I doubt they'd fly into a populated area.

wmburdette

9/11 - Never Forget!
hvp05 said:
"The lightweight carbon fibre mono-wings will allow them to jump from high altitudes and then glide 120 miles or more before landing... although concealing the 6ft wings after landing could prove harder than burying a traditional parachute."
If you're an Islamist terrorist or group of Islamist terrorists with either aerosol dispensers for biologics or chemicals or using the 60 lb payload capacity for explosives I doubt if you would be concerned with concealment upon landing. Up to 120 miles away? So an aircraft could be flying well outside of any of the TFR areas, drop their load of suicide dobadders, and inflict major harm to the population of any significant target!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
thakidistight said:
He also trained for three years.
Yeah. :shrug: Did you think they would just strap this prototype system on and go for it? There will be years of testing and then years of training prior to the German variant being a deployable item.

It's still a cool concept, don't you think?

Ken King said:
Yeah. :shrug: Did you think they would just strap this prototype system on and go for it? There will be years of testing and then years of training prior to the German variant being a deployable item.

It's still a cool concept, don't you think?

It an AWESOME concept! But the point I was making about the three years of training is that it would be alot of training dollars just to train these guys for (lets say 2 years) just to have them leave the service 2 years later.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
thakidistight said:
It an AWESOME concept! But the point I was making about the three years of training is that it would be alot of training dollars just to train these guys for (lets say 2 years) just to have them leave the service 2 years later.
You want to be special forces and use the wing you sign a six-year hitch, no problem.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
OK kid...

thakidistight said:

...but let's do some analysis here. We're talking 3 years training for the prototype, never before done, A1, mod 0 version.

HAHO training now is nowhere near as long as the time period it took to start, learn, adapt and deal with the unknown. Same for HALO. Same for all sorts of specialty skills.

Once the wing has been around for awhile, it's likely no more than a few months training. It's not like they're learning to fly the shuttle.

Larry Gude said:
...but let's do some analysis here. We're talking 3 years training for the prototype, never before done, A1, mod 0 version.

HAHO training now is nowhere near as long as the time period it took to start, learn, adapt and deal with the unknown. Same for HALO. Same for all sorts of specialty skills.

Once the wing has been around for awhile, it's likely no more than a few months training. It's not like they're learning to fly the shuttle.

Im not a parachuter, never been, never had the urge. But it seems alot more complicated than parachuting, especially when they attach those rockets!!!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What...

thakidistight said:
Im not a parachuter, never been, never had the urge. But it seems alot more complicated than parachuting, especially when they attach those rockets!!!

...rockets? Did I miss something?