Spotlighters/Poachers in Scotland/Ridge Area

Crow Bait

Yeah, I understand, logically. As I'm sure BG and IT do.

My concern is as a property owner, when does it cease to be your property and become the government's? :shrug:

I have no issues with the gvt protecting public/federal land.

I have more of an issue with the govt coming onto my private property and telling me what I can and can't do on my private property, because they have been "spying" aka "staking me out" on me on my private property like I'm a criminal with a warrant when I have actually done nothing wrong.

It doesn't sit right with me. That's all.

I understand this concern. If NRP was investigating every aspect of a landowner's life I would agree that this is a problem. However, their job is to enforce fish and game laws. Fish and game belong to all of us. They are a public resource whether they reside on the private property or not. NRP's job is to protect that resource because fish/game don't know where the property boundaries begin and end.

Also - you've made a leap that NRP has to be on your property to observe your activity. That's not necessarily true.

jetmonkey

So you're saying if a cop sees a car with sitting outside a convenience store at 2am with the motor running, a guy running from the store to the car while jamming a bag in his coat and jumps in the car and takes off isn't suppose to "assume" something illegal happened?..........I don't doubt Bob's and BG's intentions are perfectly ok, there is a reason for the law. Before I hunted each yr, I would go and scout the area to make sure I was hunting in an area that had deer I wanted to hunt, I believe that is the reason you can't spotlight at any level

Sounds like they called the What If Police for backup :confused:

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
AND I believe, not sure on this, that the NRP has more power as a LEO than the SO or MSP. They can come on your property/in your home if they have sufficient reason to believe you have in possession any illegal game or harvested illegally, no warrant needed. My brother was in his shed skinning a deer a few yrs ago when a DNR officer came in and checked his tag and inspected the deer, said he rode by and seen the truck backed up to the shed and turned around for a better look and seen the deer hanging, said it was all the evidence he needed to further investigate

bohman

Aside legitimate reasons for casting rays of light that are not illegal: Lost dog, checking on crops, livestock, etc. Why do you need to use your vehicle to locate deer at night? What is your intent for looking for deer at night?

The answer is - a non-poacher really has no reason to do so. It is not some great loss of right. It is a simple regulation that allows NRP to do their job more effectively.

Have you ever had the opportunity to show a 5 year old something that makes their eyes light up with amazement? Something they love? Taking that away is a great loss of right, IMO.

Yeah, I understand, logically. As I'm sure BG and IT do.

My concern is as a property owner, when does it cease to be your property and become the government's? :shrug:

I have no issues with the gvt protecting public/federal land.

I have more of an issue with the govt coming onto my private property and telling me what I can and can't do on my private property, because they have been "spying" aka "staking me out" on me on my private property like I'm a criminal with a warrant when I have actually done nothing wrong.

It doesn't sit right with me. That's all.

:yeahthat:

AND I believe, not sure on this, that the NRP has more power as a LEO than the SO or MSP. They can come on your property/in your home if they have sufficient reason to believe you have in possession any illegal game or harvested illegally, no warrant needed. My brother was in his shed skinning a deer a few yrs ago when a DNR officer came in and checked his tag and inspected the deer, said he rode by and seen the truck backed up to the shed and turned around for a better look and seen the deer hanging, said it was all the evidence he needed to further investigate

If this is true, that's really upsetting to me, and how did we arrive at this point? I don't hunt, but I do fish and I'm picturing a DNR officer arriving on my deck while I'm scaling/fileting something. I would politely ask them to leave, and advise them that I'd be contacting a lawyer.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

Hell, nowadays you check your deer online. No chance of folks not checking their deer now, is there?

Hopefully the sarcasm tag is not needed