Spray paint

frequentflier

happy to be living
Good morning! We are having a new back deck built. 12'X12' screened in, 12'X12' not. Two standard sized doorways and two sets of steps.
I picked up a 4' across wrought iron table and four chairs at an auction or estate sale a couple years ago and it would look great on the screened new deck.
The contractor said they could put it up on the deck before the screens go in.
A friend said I should wire brush and clean it and then spray paint. She thinks it will take 8 cans of spray paint which seems excessive to me however I have zero experience with spray paint so I am looking for input. I will go to Lowes today and pick up materials and will throw a tarp on the ground and begin the project. It is very heavy and will be difficult for me to handle but I'll finger it out :) The chairs do not have to be done immediately.
Thanks in advance for any input.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I refinished a metal table and chairs for M-I-L back when Wifey and I first started dating. I recommend that you purchase a good quality paint/primer and get as much of the old finishes and rust off before painting. There's no secret to it. The end product will reflect the amount of effort that went into the prep work.

You can do it. Just be meticulous about getting as much old flaking paint off before spraying. Post pics. The one chair that's left from this original set, still looks "good", forty odd years later.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I refinished a metal table and chairs for M-I-L back when Wifey and I first started dating. I recommend that you purchase a good quality paint/primer and get as much of the old finishes and rust off before painting. There's no secret to it. The end product will reflect the amount of effort that went into the prep work.

You can do it. Just be meticulous about getting as much old flaking paint off before spraying. Post pics. The one chair that's left from this original set, still looks "good", forty odd years later.
It's actually not in that bad of shape considering it has been outdoors. But I will heed your advice. Did you use spray paint and primer? I mean, is there another way to paint it?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I mean, is there another way to paint it?
You could get it powder coated, but that requires it be taken down to bare metal.

Don't overthink it. Do a good job sanding bad spots, make sure it's free of grease and dust, take your time with the spray cans, multiple light coats instead of a heavy coat. You could use a paint gun with compressed air instead of cans of spray, but if you've never done it before it can be intimidating.

frequentflier

happy to be living
You could get it powder coated, but that requires it be taken down to bare metal.

Don't overthink it. Do a good job sanding bad spots, make sure it's free of grease and dust, take your time with the spray cans, multiple light coats instead of a heavy coat. You could use a paint gun with compressed air instead of cans of spray, but if you've never done it before it can be intimidating.
Good advice!
I have been so busy lately and hadn't given it much thought until I got up this morning. There are so many other things that need to be done but they can wait! This project is priority and hopefully next week at this time, I will be sitting on the screened in porch drinking coffee and listening to the birds with my freshly painted table (and maybe chairs)

This contractor did a great job on the front porch and I am excited about the total remodel and expansion of the back deck. We ended up going with vinyl/composite.

They also got us a new roof because of wind damage and a shoddy job the roofers the estate we bought from the house from did.

Highly recommend RF Construction (443) 404-1065 Billy Reed

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
It's actually not in that bad of shape considering it has been outdoors. But I will heed your advice. Did you use spray paint and primer? I mean, is there another way to paint it?
That's why I stress good quality paint. Most good manufacturers offer paint and primer in one. It will do a good job and you'll never have to worry about it again. It can seem like a daunting task, but it's really not all that hard to get a good lasting finish. As Sneakers said, multiple light coats is the way to go.

Homer J

Power Chord
Good advice!
I have been so busy lately and hadn't given it much thought until I got up this morning. There are so many other things that need to be done but they can wait! This project is priority and hopefully next week at this time, I will be sitting on the screened in porch drinking coffee and listening to the birds with my freshly painted table (and maybe chairs)

This contractor did a great job on the front porch and I am excited about the total remodel and expansion of the back deck. We ended up going with vinyl/composite.

They also got us a new roof because of wind damage and a shoddy job the roofers the estate we bought from the house from did.

Highly recommend RF Construction (443) 404-1065 Billy Reed
How are their prices? We recently had a company give us an estimate on building a new deck. 15' x 23', vinyl railing, composite decking, one set of steps. $23,250. o_O

frequentflier

happy to be living
How are their prices? We recently had a company give us an estimate on building a new deck. 15' x 23', vinyl railing, composite decking, one set of steps. $23,250. o_O
The front porch (don't know the dimensions) was $18, 500. One ramp and one set of steps. If I can figure out how to, I will post pics or if you live in the Lusby area, I'd be happy to show you in person.

frequentflier

happy to be living
IMG_0742.jpg
IMG_0743.jpg

frequentflier

happy to be living
So I managed to paint the table and three of the four chairs plus another small round table. It was the perfect day for it- low humidity, a slight breeze and 70ish degrees.
I dislike the "new" spray paint cans that have a trigger. There was no consistency in flow from can to can; I think I used five. It was slim pickins at Lowes and I think I bought every can of rustoleum primer and paint satin finish. They were almost $10 a can :faint:. I picked up two wrought iron chairs at an estate sale for $5 ea Saturday that are even nicer than the others so today's project is going to be get them scraped and painted and a few other things as well.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Another can of rustoleum leaked all over the place including all over my (old) shoes. I called the company to see if I was doing something wrong- like shaking the can too much. She said I wasn't doing anything wrong and the girl was apologetic and offered to send me a refund for ALL the cans I bought at Lowes. I never got an answer when I asked more than once if others were experiencing the same problem with their new design. My guess is mine wasn't the first call about it.