Sprint EVDO in Calvert / Lower Marlboro

ymn

Hi, I am wondering if anyone is using Sprint EVDO in the Owings / Lower Marlboro area in Calvert County. Is the connection fast? Also, I noticed that Sprint has a lot of options for the Aircard. Does the type that you purchase make a difference with your speed and quality of connection? Also considering Verizon, but it looks like their price would be higher for me. If anyone knows which provides a faster connection between Verizon and Sprint, please let me know that too. Thanks for any information you can provide. I'm tired of using dialup and am thinking about trying this. Cable, FIOS and DSL are not options where I live. Thanks.

Not sure about your area, but here are a couple of pointers...

1 - make sure the card is EVDO Rev A - Rev A is the faster speed (up and over 1 Mbps burst) - I did testing with both Verizon and Sprint... I went with Sprint because the data side was better here at my home... my cell phones are with Verizon though and they work better - go figure...

2. - I know you can have the data card/plan WITHOUT having a Sprint phone. I do not know about Verizon but assume it is the same, but check first.

2 - Sprint is unlimited - no caps, no limits... Verizons "unlimited" is limited at 5GB per month (some say 10GB, but it looks like 5GB)... if you blow that cap one too many times they can cancel your account. If all you do is web broswing and e-mail, you will never hit the limit... if you do a LOT of music download and You-Tube stuff I would lean towards Sprint.

3. - EVDO Rev A is an excellent option - the price (either verizon or sprint) is 59.99 a month before taxes... much better than satellite, better performance as well...

4. - the stronger the bars the more reliable/steady the speed will be... If you do not get Sprint at the house you will not get their service and vice-versa... if you have a friend with a sprint phone have them come over and look at their signal bars; if it has an EVDO signal bar (outside of cell signal) look at it and that will pretty much tell you. Check with a Verizon phone as well.

5. - BOTH companies have a 30 day free trial, if it does not work you can take it back and wash your hands. There might be some small charges (account setup) they might hit you with, but check first.

I am not sure about your area, but check the sites coverage maps...

Also - EVDO Forums - EV-DO Discussion, Support, Coverage, Compatibility, Tips, Verizon, Sprint, KR1, WRT54G3G-ST, Cradlepoint CTR350, PHS300 : EVDOforums.com is an EXCELLENT resource to read up on this service.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas :yay:

ymn

Thanks so much for the info. I'm going to see how the Sprint signal is at my house. I'll let you know how this works out.