Sprite's New Ad - Has NO Soda ..... Panders to LGBTQ

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Is it also a fact that the ad was shown only in Argentina?
Fair point. But I think there's a different point being made here....

So what if it's Argentina? Argentina's got nothing to do with us, right? But maybe it does. Companies will often A/B test in other markets before bringing "that product" into a larger, more profitable one. This "other market" testing allows the company to fine tune advertising in response to whatever feedback it gets in the test market(s).

A/B testing and the resultant fine tuning is neither good or bad; it just is. So yes, this may have been a story about Argentina, but if that's the case why is the language used at the end of the ad English? Wouldn't it be logical to expect an ad FOR Argentina to be in Spanish?

My sense is that this was a variation of A/B testing where, in this case, Coca-Cola sets the ad IN Argentina but the target audience is HERE in the U.S. This is clever in that Coke can get the data it wants (i.e., the U.S. reaction), but claim any push-back is unwarranted because it isn't the U.S., it's Argentina.

In any event, I don't like the ad for two, direct reasons (which are opposite sides of the same coin): First, tell me about the product if you want me to buy it. Second, don't mix messages.

Not a fan of the ad, at all. But to each his/her/xer own, I guess.

--- End of line (MCP)

truby20

Fighting like a girl
Fair point. But I think there's a different point being made here...

So yes, this may have been a story about Argentina, but if that's the case why is the language used at the end of the ad English? Wouldn't it be logical to expect an ad FOR Argentina to be in Spanish?

The actual ad IS in Spanish, only the modified one from that conservative site that Grups posted has the wording in English.

Here is the actual ad, not the one that is trying to get ‘clicks’ from outraged conservatives....

Yooper

The actual ad IS in Spanish, only the modified one from that conservative site that Grups posted has the wording in English.

Here is the actual ad, not the one that is trying to get ‘clicks’ from outraged conservatives....

Good catch. Thank you.

--- End of line (MCP)

nutz

SO whats the point of the ad? Be a millennial, drink Sprite and its ok to be gay? Only LGBQTD are cool enough to drink Sprite? Buy Sprite and a portion of the sales are contributed to the LGBQTwhatever crowd?

truby20

Fighting like a girl
Good catch. Thank you.

--- End of line (MCP)

It wasn’t really a catch, the article posted didn’t make much sense so I had to do a bit of digging. I found other articles about the ad, but they all referred to it being in Argentina, then I found the actual ad and saw it was in Spanish....and read more about that site that Grups posted and realized it’s a propaganda site intended to divide the country.

It’s to our enemies benefit that we are divided among ourselves, especially over made up controversy. Unfortunately we have to be constantly vigilant about these attacks/weapons.

Yooper

(a) It wasn’t really a catch, the article posted didn’t make much sense so I had to do a bit of digging. I found other articles about the ad, but they all referred to it being in Argentina, then I found the actual ad and saw it was in Spanish....(b) and read more about that site that Grups [sic] posted and realized it’s a propaganda site intended to divide the country.

(c) It’s to our enemies benefit that we are divided among ourselves, especially over made up controversy. Unfortunately we have to be constantly vigilant about these attacks/weapons.
(a) I appreciate the sleuthing! Thumbs up!

(b) & (c) I'm not sure whom you mean by "enemies," but if I'm understanding you (at least partially) I have two thoughts.

First, if you mean that "enemies" are those outside the country seeking to divide us, then that would mean these folks are also spinning up people on The Left. And if that's the case, then there is "fake news" being delivered to and inciting both sides. So whom then do we trust...?

Second, if by "enemies" you mean The Right, then remember it works in both directions. Folks on The Right could (and do) make the same claim about Left-leaning sites. Adding another layer of complexity is that this isn't just a politics problem. You see this in every sphere; sports, finance, counseling, religion, movies, fashion, anything! So, sites that I might label as the "enemy" aren't to those who subscribe to the same thinking as those sites. And those sites I follow are often seen as the "enemy" to those who don't subscribe to views similar to my own.

So I get it that you think GURPs' post was propaganda. But I think there was more than just a little value in the post. I hope that doesn't make us enemies.

Again, thanks for researching the ad. It was very helpful.

Cheers! Enjoy the day!

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

I'd invite you to GFYS, but I would not want you to be disapointed at the outcome

..... and read more about that site that Grups posted and realized it’s a propaganda site intended to divide the country.

It’s to our enemies benefit that we are divided among ourselves, especially over made up controversy. Unfortunately we have to be constantly vigilant about these attacks/weapons.

Yeah because Progressives / Millennials are all about BRINGING THE COUNTRY TOGETHER

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So I get it that you think GURPs' post was propaganda. But I think there was more than just a little value in the post.

ANYTHING Opposing the Outrage Twitter MOB and ANYTHING Progressives Do NOT Like is a lie or Propaganda

MiddleGround

Why can't you just admit that your post was deceptive?

Simply adding the words "... in Argentina" to the end of your OP title would have cleared everything up. However, you and I (and most others on here) know that it was titled that way to garner outrage.

Is it really THAT hard to just say "Yep... I did it that way on purpose?"

Yooper

Why can't you just admit that your post was deceptive?

Simply adding the words "... in Argentina" to the end of your OP title would have cleared everything up. However, you and I (and most others on here) know that it was titled that way to garner outrage.

Is it really THAT hard to just say "Yep... I did it that way on purpose?"
I think it's a bit provocative and a bit of mind-reading to ask GURPs to confess to deception. You're assigning intent and I'm not sure that's helpful.

Having said that, yup, I agree. I would have added "in Argentina." And then added comments as to why it might apply here in the U.S. But that's just me. Everyone is entitled to one's style, n'est-ce pas?

--- End of line (MCP)

MiddleGround

yeah sure, assume what you want

Is it assumption when it has occurred MULTIPLE times?

If it is then its safe to assume that all those people who have died that were involved with the Clintons died due to happenstance or 'accidents' huh?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Is it also a fact that the ad was shown only in Argentina?

I wish I had as much time on my hands as you do. To search the world for ads to reinforce the narrative that “progressives” are removing the concept of gender...you found an ad from Argentina, and then didn’t even mention that fact.

Let me know when Banana Republic stops selling Men/Women clothing and replaces it with “Them”.
Maybe you should spend a little time doing your research instead of using the PMSNBC takling points.
First, it's an ad that is pandering to a small minority and second, Argentina is not a banana Republic. Far from it.
If Venezuela could grow (produce) anything it would be a "Banana Republic".

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
In a new, bizarre advertisement for their lemon-lime soda, the company clipped together scenes of various members of the LGBTQ community getting ready to attend a “Pride” event. In one scene, a girl helps her friend put on a binder, or an article of clothing commonly used by LGBTQ members to flatten their chests to present as male. In another, an older woman is seen helping a drag queen lace-up his corset. Yet another depicts two young children painting a heart onto a rainbow flag, the symbol of LGBTQ pride.

Describing the ad, however, simply doesn’t do it justice. These scenes play back-to-back with seemingly no context. In fact, the Sprite logo doesn’t even appear until the very last scene, leaving viewers wondering exactly what they’re seeing and why. More importantly, how does this tie in with carbonated beverages?

While the ad itself feels like a trip through a progressive television show meant for young adults questioning their sexuality, ultimately it is a money grab. It screams, “Hello, gays! Pay us because we give you airtime!”

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2019/1...bow-coated-pandering-mess-with-no-soda-853717
I'd say this doesn't even meet the definition of advertising, more like corporate virtue signaling.

truby20

Fighting like a girl
(b) & (c) I'm not sure whom you mean by "enemies," but if I'm understanding you (at least partially) I have two thoughts.

First, if you mean that "enemies" are those outside the country seeking to divide us, then that would mean these folks are also spinning up people on The Left. And if that's the case, then there is "fake news" being delivered to and inciting both sides. So whom then do we trust...?
By enemies I mean countries with the economic and technical resources to put up these types of sites and stories, namely China and Russia.

The right is not an enemy of mine, we have to protect the position of our country on the world stage, these types of phony, divisive stories make us more insular and will give China and Russia a bigger role on the world stage. This is the LAST thing we can afford, we are not perfect, but our representative democracy is by far the best of any major government in the world.

Research your posts, the enemies are always working, their goal is division and our patriotic duty is to work toward unity.