Squatters would get booted immediately under bill lawmakers in this state unanimously passed

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Florida legislation would allow police to quickly evict squatters

The Florida Legislature unanimously passed a bill that would allow police to immediately remove squatters — a departure from the lengthy court cases required in most states.

"It gives me a real feeling of positive hope that we still have the ability to discuss challenges in our society and work with our legislatures in a bipartisan way," Patti Peeples, a Sunshine State property owner who was barred from her own home after squatters refused to leave, told News4Jax.

The legislation, which passed both chambers earlier this month, would allow police to remove squatters without a lease authorized by the property owner and adds criminal penalties. Landlords, under the current law, typically have to wade through a long and expensive legal process to remove squatters.

They need to get a year on a Chain-Gang for every day they occupied the property.

black dog

Free America
Removing them is easy, take 500 bucks to your local motorcycle clubhouse. Knock on the door and give them a 500 dollar donation and ask that this address be cleaned of excess humans and then go home.
500 dollars is still 500 dollars.

Grumpy

:thewave:

It still stuns me that someone can illegally move into your house and you have to go through a bunch of bullshit to get them out.
It's just a take-off of if you rent a store and not pay your rent, you can stay for a year or more rent-free while it is litigated. Been going on forever.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Removing them is easy, take 500 bucks to your local motorcycle clubhouse. Knock on the door and give them a 500 dollar donation and ask that this address be cleaned of excess humans and then go home.
500 dollars is still 500 dollars.

Well, if people who aren't supposed to be there can just take over your house, why can't you just move in, change the locks, and start throwing their sh*t out on the street? I'm not sure how that works that someone can illegally take your home but you can't legally take it back.

black dog

Free America
Well, if people who aren't supposed to be there can just take over your house, why can't you just move in, change the locks, and start throwing their sh*t out on the street? I'm not sure how that works that someone can illegally take your home but you can't legally take it back.
Because in most places its not a criminal matter its a civil matter.
If you catch the squatter breaking in its different, but once in and they do things like mow the grass, turn the utility's on, they now live in that home. And since you are the one tossing someone crap outside. LE is going to take you to jail. The squatters have a fake lease and since its a civil matter, you the rightful owner are gonna get removed from your property for the near feature. LE is not going to go to the city/county building and see whos name is on the deed because its civil not criminal.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
LE is not going to go to the city/county building and see whos name is on the deed because its civil not criminal.

Right, but don't most people have a notarized copy of their deed? I'd think it would be like having the title to your car - of course you have a copy of that.

So, say, you own a vacation home at Deep Creek Lake that you go to 4 or 6 times a year. You show up for a stay and there are strangers living in it and your locks have been changed. First you call the police and tell them that someone has broken into your home. Next you call a friend/neighbor/relative back at your permanent home** and tell them where the deed to the vacation home is, and please fax/email it to you. You present proof of ownership to the cops, and that should be that.

I feel like it should be that simple. But also wouldn't you have neighbors who'd wonder who these people are? Or a property manager? Or real estate agent? In my mind there would always be *someone* who'd be looking out for your property if it's a viable property and not abandoned. My next door neighbors live in Chicago and come down twice a year. She always calls me when a friend or relative will be staying at her vacation home so I don't call the cops. :jet: She has called a couple times asking me to go in her house and make sure everything is okay after a storm or freeze or something.

I mean, paint me a picture because I honestly don't understand how this could happen.

Also it makes you wonder why it took FL so long to enact this because I have to believe a large number of properties in this state are vacation homes that people don't live in full time.

** I don't know about you all but I've always had several someones who knew how to get into my house in case of emergency.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Right, but don't most people have a notarized copy of their deed? I'd think it would be like having the title to your car - of course you have a copy of that.

Police are NOT going to evaluate the legality of any documents provided

That is a Civil Matter ... this not like an easily identifying Car Registration or Title

Houses do not have a Home Identifying Number stamped into the foundation

black dog

Free America

So, say, you own a vacation home at Deep Creek Lake that you go to 4 or 6 times a year. You show up for a stay and there are strangers living in it and your locks have been changed. First you call the police and tell them that someone has broken into your home. Next you call a friend/neighbor/relative back at your permanent home** and tell them where the deed to the vacation home is, and please fax/email it to you. You present proof of ownership to the cops, and that should be that.

I feel like it should be that simple. But also wouldn't you have neighbors who'd wonder who these people are? Or a property manager? Or real estate agent? In my mind there would always be *someone* who'd be looking out for your property if it's a viable property and not abandoned. My next door neighbors live in Chicago and come down twice a year. She always calls me when a friend or relative will be staying at her vacation home so I don't call the cops. :jet: She has called a couple times asking me to go in her house and make sure everything is okay after a storm or freeze or something.

I mean, paint me a picture because I honestly don't understand how this could happen.

Also it makes you wonder why it took FL so long to enact this because I have to believe a large number of properties in this state are vacation homes that people don't live in full time.

** I don't know about you all but I've always had several someones who knew how to get into my house in case of emergency.
Like I said, its a Civil Matter. Big Difference.
Its why some States are trying to change the laws over it.
LEO's is not there to figure out who owns the property, what deeds are valid, what rental agreements are valid and so on.
That's what the courts are for.
We have homes in the town I live in that the owners haven't been around for years now. Seems most are in nursing homes and a few have been auctioned off after the old folks die and they owe money for there health care and Medicaid/medicare attaches the home and eventually it goes up for auction.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We have homes in the town I live in that the owners haven't been around for years now. Seems most are in nursing homes and a few have been auctioned off after the old folks die and they owe money for there health care and Medicaid/medicare attaches the home and eventually it goes up for auction.

Well honestly if I had abandoned my house for whatever reason I wouldn't care if squatters wanted to take it over. But if it was my vacation home or I was trying to sell it, I'd be pissed as hell.

Last edited:

seekeroftruth

Out in Arizona.... Sedona city council is talking about giving employees of one company authorization to sleep in their cars overnight.

There used to be a lot of tents downtown. It's an area in downtown Phoenix called "the zone". but one coffee shop didn't like the "dump" around his shop... and no one could blame him. So, he and others had the "unsheltered" run off... and now he's closing his store anyway.... because no one comes there anymore....

The weather is ok right now.... we've had some rain... but when it gets to be way over 110.... well, I can imagine "the zone" could be a rather stinky place.... They don't enjoy private bathrooms.

It's more civilized back east....

:coffee: