St. Mary’s County Pharmacies Dispensed Over 32 Million Opioids from 2006 to 2012

mitzi

We don't blame the booze for making an alcoholic, don't blame the drug for making an addict.

Exactly! I just read a short article of a woman who within a year of being given pain medication after the extraction of wisdom teeth died within a year from a heroin overdose. The dentist only prescribed 7 days of medicine. The family is now blaming the dentist for her addiction. In 7 days she became an addict 🇧🇸 Nobody wants admit the person liked the way the meds made them feel, so they searched for more when the prescription ran out. This nonsense is what makes it so difficult for chronic pain patients to get the meds they need.

officeguy

Exactly! I just read a short article of a woman who within a year of being given pain medication after the extraction of wisdom teeth died within a year from a heroin overdose. The dentist only prescribed 7 days of medicine. The family is now blaming the dentist for her addiction. In 7 days she became an addict 🇧🇸 Nobody wants admit the person liked the way the meds made them feel, so they searched for more when the prescription ran out. This nonsense is what makes it so difficult for chronic pain patients to get the meds they need.

I had a tooth out earlier this year. I had filled a script for T3 when I had the abscess that caused it to come out and still had most of the pills left. I told the oral surgeon that I wouldn't need any additional meds. Took 2-3 more and tossed the rest. Back when I had my wisdom teeth out, prescribing opioids for routine dental work was not even a thing. But that was when doctors generally reserved them for cancer patients and patients who just came out of major surgery.

mitzi

I had a tooth out earlier this year. I had filled a script for T3 when I had the abscess that caused it to come out and still had most of the pills left. I told the oral surgeon that I wouldn't need any additional meds. Took 2-3 more and tossed the rest. Back when I had my wisdom teeth out, prescribing opioids for routine dental work was not even a thing. But that was when doctors generally reserved them for cancer patients and patients who just came out of major surgery.

I've had 2 pulled this year. My dentist will only give Rx strength Ibuprofin now. Primary Care and Dentists won't prescribe them anymore (in my experiences) and refer you to Pain Management if you have chronic pain.

DannyMotorcycle

I've never used an opioid but I think we can relate through the high's of sexual gratification? I'm thankful I wasn't given an opioid option when healing post surgery from a broken femur. When the pain meds wore out I was begging/negotiating deals with god hoping for the pain to go away, I probably would have taken any opioid.. well i don't know if i would have shot myself up with heroine, but i do remember some crazy pain. i also feel like there's a moment between sleeping and waking up that feels really good especially if like wrapped up in a warm blanket.. I don't even want to know what narcotic highs feel like. I think I can understand the workings and feelings of addiction. .. like wanting/needing sleep/sex/food.. I can't recall what i was given 800 mg of tylenol for, oh yea sore throat, but i didn't even take that.

It's crazy. I was once telling an addict about welbutrin which blocks pleasures to help get over addiction.. this fool with ruined life would rather be an addict than sacrifice or take the risk of missing out on some pleasure.. i think he's doing like 10 years for burglary now.

officeguy

I've had 2 pulled this year. My dentist will only give Rx strength Ibuprofin now. Primary Care and Dentists won't prescribe them anymore (in my experiences) and refer you to Pain Management if you have chronic pain.

And that's how it should be.

BernieP

Resident PIA
The Sheriff's office has a box in the lobby where people can properly dispose of unwanted medications.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Will the sheriff's office take ANY medications? I've got some 3 year old Metformin I'd like to dispose of safely.

officeguy

Yes. We don't need doped up critters in the sewers.

Where do you think the drugs go if you take them ?

Unless we have people systematically digging through household trash at the dump to comb through it for unlabeled pills, there is no risk to anyone if you dispose of leftover opiates in the household trash. Just don't toss it in the labeled bottle with your name and prescription on it.

And no, they are not meant to be stockpiled for any future pain you may experience. They were prescribed for something specific, pain from that broken bone or tooth abscess. By keeping those stocks of leftover pills around until 'you can drop them at the sheriff's office' you actually increase the risk of them getting into the illegal market during a burglary. Pillheads are looking for cash and pills. The stuff is cheap. Fill the minimal amount, take as prescribed and ttoss the rest when you are done.

Where do you think the drugs go if you take them ?

Unless we have people systematically digging through household trash at the dump to comb through it for unlabeled pills, there is no risk to anyone if you dispose of leftover opiates in the household trash. Just don't toss it in the labeled bottle with your name and prescription on it.
So wrong.
Only a fraction of a fraction of the drug is expelled down the crapper after you've ingested it and the body absorbs it and metabolizes it.

Tossing drugs in the landfill contributes to contamination.
Myth #5 – There is no reason why unwanted medicines cannot be put in landfills.
Fact: Modern landfills are well-designed, safe, and handle standard household waste well. However, medicines are a special type of hazardous chemical that we need to keep out of our solid waste system and landfills to prevent harm to people and the environment. Drugs can be very toxic for people and wildlife, even in low doses. Just as we do not put used motor oil or leftover paint thinner in the trash, we should not put these extremely potent pharmaceutical chemicals into unsecure curbside trash cans.
How can medicines thrown in the garbage get into the environment? Unwanted drugs are still chemically active when they are thrown in the trash, even if mixed with kitty litter or coffee grounds. Several studies have shown that medicines in a landfill can be released to the local environment through the landfill liquid – or “garbage juice” – that may be collected and sent to wastewater treatment plants. Because wastewater treatment plants are not designed to remove medicines, drugs may be discharged to rivers and bays.
Unwanted medicines should be disposed of properly like other household hazardous wastes. Medicine take-back programs are the best way to dispose of unwanted medicine.

mitzi

And that's how it should be.

The numbers in this report end are before Primary Care doctors stopped prescribing them. I had been offered T3 for dental work prior to that and always declined because they make me sick.

officeguy

So wrong.
Only a fraction of a fraction of the drug is expelled down the crapper after you've ingested it and the body absorbs it and metabolizes it.

Most opiate drugs after you take them are metabolized by the liver and eliminated through the kidneys, some are eliminated through bile. So the drug or its metabolites either end up in urine or stool. They dont just magically disappear because a human took them.

Tossing drugs in the landfill contributes to contamination.

Big suprise ! The people who make their money off organizing the take-back programs tell you that you shouldn't put it into the landfill.

Here is the FDA guidance. Note, most of the opiates are on the 'flush list' and they actually recommend flushing them to keep them from getting into the wrong hands:

As I live on a septic system and understand the flow of surface and ground water, I don't think its a good idea to put them into the surface water that way. That leaves the other option of disposing them with the household trash.

If you dont live in Lexington Park or West Baltimore where you have to deal with tweakers rifling through your trash, there is an absolutely zero chance of a human getting in contact with your discarded medications if you follow the recommendations given by the FDA for disposal in household trash:

• Mix medicines (liquid or pills; do not crush tablets or capsules) with an unappealing substance such as dirt, cat litter, or used coffee grounds;
  • Place the mixture in a container such as a sealed plastic bag;
  • Throw away the container in your trash at home; and
  • Delete all personal information on the prescription label of empty medicine bottles or medicine packaging, then trash or recycle the empty bottle or packaging.

The preferred option for any controlled substance is to dispose them through take-back events, mail-back programs, and collection receptacles such as the one at the sheriffs department. That way the drugs go into the incinerator and are rendered harmless, both for humans and the environment. However, this is still strictly voluntary and flushing or disposal with the trash are allowable and good options. The main thing, any of these options is better than hoarding them in your medicine cabinet.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
^When the hospice nurse helped my mom dispose of my dad's leftover meds after he passed away, they mixed them with used coffee grounds and some dirt from the backyard.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

And no, they are not meant to be stockpiled for any future pain you may experience.
So ... as grown, non-addict, responsible, adults, we're just supposed to be at the mercy of some other person wearing a white coat that gives the illusion of credibility of a doctor just because they went to school and were indoctrinated in classes sponsored or, "supported", with donations or endowments, by the medical and pharmaceutical industries? Or, to bow to the authoritahs and be good little serfs and visit drop boxes so they will get to pick and choose what they will keep before discarding the rest, and don't think it doesn't happen. No. I think I'm a gonna keep my little stash so I won't have to rely on some ass hat attempting to evaluate if I, "really", need a good pain med if something arises where a pain pill, or two, is needed for a short duration. What the medical and pharmaceutical industries, and government, want, is your continued reliance, but most importantly your dependency, on them. Geez, the submissive minds, unquestioning obedience, and actions of some people continues to astound me.

officeguy

If I may ...

So ... as grown, non-addict, responsible, adults, we're just supposed to be at the mercy of some other person wearing a white coat that gives the illusion of credibility of a doctor just because they went to school and were indoctrinated in classes sponsored or, "supported", with donations or endowments, by the medical and pharmaceutical industries? Or, to bow to the authoritahs and be good little serfs and visit drop boxes so they will get to pick and choose what they will keep before discarding the rest, and don't think it doesn't happen. No. I think I'm a gonna keep my little stash so I won't have to rely on some ass hat attempting to evaluate if I, "really", need a good pain med if something arises where a pain pill, or two, is needed for a short duration. What the medical and pharmaceutical industries, and government, want, is your continued reliance, but most importantly your dependency, on them. Geez, the submissive minds, unquestioning obedience, and actions of some people continues to astound me.

I am not saying it's right, I am just telling you what you are supposed to do. Like driving 55 in a 55 kind of thing. But sure, if this is the cause you want to be a rebel and a scofflaw about, nobody is going to stop you.

The DEAs zeal to get unused prescription opiates returned through the 'reverse wholesaler' system (or flushed) is based on the data that shows those leftover drugs to be a major source of diversion. They are stolen by burglars, home health aides, handymen, plumbers, children, grandchildren and relatives , eventually finding their way into the re-sale market.

So if you are hoarding, do everyone a favor and keep your stash locked away in a safe, e.g. a gun safe.

PeoplesElbow

Most opiate drugs after you take them are metabolized by the liver and eliminated through the kidneys, some are eliminated through bile. So the drug or its metabolites either end up in urine or stool. They dont just magically disappear because a human took them.

They have undergone a chemical reaction and are not the same chemical any more than chlorine gas and sodium are the same thing as table salt (sodium chloride).

Think maybe throwing antibiotics in a landfill, where bacteria may live very nicely, could help lead to antibiotic resistant bacteria?

officeguy

They have undergone a chemical reaction and are not the same chemical any more than chlorine gas and sodium are the same thing as table salt (sodium chloride).

Mh, not really the same thing as the minor changes the liver makes to most of the opiates before they are excreted. For the most part, it just adds some groups like glucronides which serve to make the stuff more water soluble. It doesn't change the underlying ring structure. Some of the opioids require metabolic changes to turn from a pro-drug to the active ingredient, but again that doesnt change the basic ring structure, just some side chains.

PeoplesElbow

Mh, not really the same thing as the minor changes the liver makes to most of the opiates before they are excreted. For the most part, it just adds some groups like glucronides which serve to make the stuff more water soluble. It doesn't change the underlying ring structure. Some of the opioids require metabolic changes to turn from a pro-drug to the active ingredient, but again that doesnt change the basic ring structure, just some side chains.
If that were the case an addict would only have to save their piss and could use it to get high again.